Archived GSTL key holder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
I saw something interesting that I thought was worth posting about.. I tried searching the forums but didn't have any luck.

One of our guest service team leads always has a GSTL key on her personal keychain. That got me thinking, is this something that's fairly common or no? Has anyone else seen this?

(No. she is not a senior team lead or an lod.)

No hell no... why? This is not following key control best practice.. Only people who should have permeant keys signed out to them are key carriers, SFT, and AP.

I saw something interesting that I thought was worth posting about.. I tried searching the forums but didn't have any luck.

One of our guest service team leads always has a GSTL key on her personal keychain. That got me thinking, is this something that's fairly common or no? Has anyone else seen this?

(No. she is not a senior team lead or an lod.)

How long has she been there?
It's a bit like the oldtimers who have wave and bailer keys.
They're not supposed to but in the old days it was cool so when the rules changed sometimes they didn't get the keys taken away.

No hell no... why? This is not following key control best practice.. Only people who should have permeant keys signed out to them are key carriers, SFT, and AP.

That's what i was thinking... I hadn't really thought about it in the past, but I saw her with it again recently and got me thinking.

How long has she been there?
It's a bit like the oldtimers who have wave and bailer keys.
They're not supposed to but in the old days it was cool so when the rules changed sometimes they didn't get the keys taken away.

Uhh, she's been with target for like 7 years, a gstl for 3-4.

Our SrGSTL has her own key (obviously). Our other GSTL, who has been with Spot for...6 years (not sure how long as a TL, but for a good long while) does not have his own key.

I have a time set up with my ETL-hr to talk about some other stuff tomorrow, I think I'm just gonna mention this at some point. Wanted to get info from you knowledgable people first!

We have a key carrying TL that has not been there very long. She has a key to the key box, not sure what else.

It's uncommon for team members to have personal wave/bailer keys? At our store every back room team member and every TL+ has personal wave/bailer keys.

Personal GSTL keys, however, I have never heard of.

We have a key carrying TL that has not been there very long. She has a key to the key box, not sure what else.
Usually key carriers have a master key, will open any of the locks in store... I believe the keys are tiered out, like I noticed my Service Desk key wouldn't open the cash drawer, but my GSTL key would as well as the service desk drawer.

There are a few different core keys that I remember seeing from workbench and it seems to make sense:

1M7 - Master key given to STL, ETLs, SRTLs. Opens everything
#1 key - flow and BR key carriers that do not do LOD shifts. Opens everything except door to cash office as they wouldn't need access to it.
#2 key - GSTL/GSA keys. Opens all GSTL necessary stuff.

The thing is, I agree with the above comment that if she has a #2 key and not one of the other keys then it may have been from a looooong time ago. Why would you even need GSTL keys outside of work? If anything, that seems less secure in case it gets lost or stolen ap has to waste time and money to re core those locks. Maybe she is just a key carrier that doesn't do any LOD shifts.

I have a time set up with my ETL-hr to talk about some other stuff tomorrow, I think I'm just gonna mention this at some point. Wanted to get info from you knowledgable people first!

If it doesn't affect you, I'd avoid bringing it up. Spot doesn't treat people who report things like this very kindly.

There are a few different core keys that I remember seeing from workbench and it seems to make sense:

#1 key - flow and BR key carriers that do not do LOD shifts. Opens everything except door to cash office as they wouldn't need access to it.

The thing is, I agree with the above comment that if she has a #2 key and not one of the other keys then it may have been from a looooong time ago. Why would you even need GSTL keys outside of work? If anything, that seems less secure in case it gets lost or stolen ap has to waste time and money to re core those locks. Maybe she is just a key carrier that doesn't do any LOD shifts.

Electronics gets a #6 too I believe.

Maybe she is just a key carrier that doesn't do any LOD shifts.

I asked her about it and she told me it was just a GSTL key, and she's never mentioned as a key-holder by our execs when their names come up

Thanks for all of everyone's insights so far!

Last edited:

Electronics gets a #6 too I believe.

And jewlery a #9 (this was annoying when I had to use BR keys because they had a jewelery (to pull from the located drawers) and electronics key (to open the lockup stockroom) you had to remember which direction the number faced

I need to check the receiver's key and the compactor key to see what numbers they are.

My ETL-HR covered my lunch in electronics once. I asked her if she wanted my keys, she laughed and said
"There is nothing in the store that my key won't unlock." Five minutes later she is calling my name on walkie.
"Hey where are you? I need the magnetic key to open a security peg!"

Also OP how is the key situation bothering you? I wouldn't bring this up - since it sounds like it's not bothering anyone.

Also OP how is the key situation bothering you? I wouldn't bring this up - since it sounds like it's not bothering anyone.

Haha I never said it bothered me. It was something I was curious about and wanted to know if anyone else has seen it; isn't that kind of the point of forums? Shared information and conversation about a subject (in this case, target)

Last edited:
A GSTL should never have an assigned #2 key per best practice. I wouldn't bother saying anything to HR because they don't know or care about keys. I would just mention it to your AP just as an "hey did you know" type of thing. They should collect it from her right then, or maybe they just won't care? If the APBP found this out though I guarantee she would not have that key another day. And any and all keys have to be accounted for. Anyone with assigned keys has a key form with their signature on it in the STL or AP office. If not she could quit, keep the key and who would know. Then one day you find the change drawer empty and can't figure out how this could happen o_O

I believe I heard with "be bold" that the key necessary to open compactor will be re-cored for all TLs to be able to open. (Except for the deadbolt which will still only open with LOD/key carrier keys).

That is correct. Stores are now supposed to have a compactor key in the keybox that can be checked out by a TL.

We always had sets of backroom keys that could be checked out.
It was a compactor key and a wave key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back