Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

GSTM calls me over to SD for assistance with a guest

Guest: I bought a stroller here and I found it at another Target for $30 cheaper, I want a $30 discount from here
Me (Training GSA): Sure, could I see your raincheck with the price from the other location?
Guest: I don't have a receipt or anything, it was just there for cheaper
Me: Unfortunately I can only price match if I can see the price from the other location, I could also price-match Target.com if it is cheaper online.
Guest: Well that's just ridiculous, why can't you price match the other location?
Me: I can only price match if I can see the price from the other location. If you'd like to bring the stroller in, we could also do a return if that would be more convenient for you.
Guest: It's already out of the box and assembled, if you think I'm taking it apart and shoving it back in the box you're fucking crazy.
Me: I'm sorry ma'am, I understand it must be frustrating, but my only options are to price match to Target.com, price match to another store with proof of price at the other location, or to return it for you so that you could purchase it at the other location for the lower price
Guest: Are you the store manager?
Me: No, I am not.
Guest (to my GSTM): I asked for A MANAGER!
GSTM: Well, he's MY manager (it was perfectly polite, but also had the right amount of sass in it)
Guest (to me): Well I want your manager
Me: Certainly *Walkies for my GSTL*
GSTL comes over and is basically like...yeah what he said. Basically gave her the number to guest relations and told her to pound sand. Felt good to have both GSTM and GSTL back me up since I'm new and training as GSA.
Actually as per our policy we can’t price match another target store period. But glad you stood your ground and GSTL backed you up, and your GSTM probably is glad you backed them up. You’ll make a good GSA.

Ah I'll have to look into that then and get some clarification. When I was training that's the policy I was told by the GSTL training me, and had used it in a previous interaction with a different guest. When I mentioned the interaction to a GSTL, she said that we could price-match another location if they came in with a rain-check. Time for me to do some digging and see what they want. I'll go back to not matching other locations, as that seems to make more sense.

Thank you Amanda for the info!

Ah I'll have to look into that then and get some clarification. When I was training that's the policy I was told by the GSTL training me, and had used it in a previous interaction with a different guest. When I mentioned the interaction to a GSTL, she said that we could price-match another location if they came in with a rain-check. Time for me to do some digging and see what they want. I'll go back to not matching other locations, as that seems to make more sense.

Thank you Amanda for the info!
if your store does rainchecks, that's fine.

but as per our policy...
  • We match Target.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices for Target.com purchases. In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded.

I've gotten lucky with this. It's the bananas that always get them at my store but once I explain they just tell me they don't want it and they're done.
I usually don't have to explain, the guests at my store are usually on their phone and don't pay attention to the register.

I don't like using a bunch of produce bags and putting only a couple of items in each, it's wasteful. If the items are very obviously different (like russet potatoes and white onions) would the typical cashier be okay with me putting them in the same bag, since the price is per item, not weight? Or should I use a bunch of bags so the cashiers won't curse my name when I've left?
You can usually request how you want your produce bagged but other things, such as spray paint or bleach are bagged in accordance with state and federal laws, and corporate policy.

You can usually request how you want your produce bagged but other things, such as spray paint or bleach are bagged in accordance with state and federal laws, and corporate policy.
Produce bags. Not shopping bags.

Plus since then I've stopped using produce bags completely.

I'm not sure I follow? I thought that the produce was bagged by the guest themself.
If you are a cashier and a guest put a single produce bag filled with 1 russet potato, 2 oranges, 1 white onion, and 3 plums would it be a problem for you? Since the stuff isn't weighed there's no need to use a separate bag per food type, unless cashiers would be reasonably upset over having to count the items in a single bag.

If you are a cashier and a guest put a single produce bag filled with 1 russet potato, 2 oranges, 1 white onion, and 3 plums would it be a problem for you? Since the stuff isn't weighed there's no need to use a separate bag per food type, unless cashiers would be reasonably upset over having to count the items in a single bag.
It would not be a problem for me as I don't judge. I may or may not pull the stuff out to check each item, but beyond that there's no issue or judging.

I would be annoyed only because I wouldn’t be able to see what the items are and it would take me a while to find the PLU codes. I suppose if you told me what’s in there I’d be okay with it

i had an older guest ask if we take credit cards.

my all time favorite was "do you all take the redcard"

Since I now work at a grocery store.. my favorite is "do you take the Safeway card?". One person thought we bough Safeway.. while it's true that we did buy another local chain.. it wasnt safeway.. we're more local than that.

Safeway bought a regional chain here and drove it completely into the ground. :(

I would be annoyed only because I wouldn’t be able to see what the items are and it would take me a while to find the PLU codes. I suppose if you told me what’s in there I’d be okay with it
That's why my original post said obviously visually different. Not a peach and a nectarine together.

But I ditched produce bags entirely. I think they are wasteful, they have one very short lived purpose and can't be reused for something else. Now I just put the potato, oranges and onions right on the conveyor belt. They can be washed when I get home.

*in SCO*
Guest: can I pull out money here?
Me: yes, up to $40
Guest: oh okay thank you
I looked over as she inserted her card and saw that she was inserting a discover card
Me: just so you know you can’t pull out cash with a credit card
Guest: *not really listening* hmmmm?
The transaction finished by then and I was like “yeah you couldn’t pull out cash because you used a credit card”
Guest: oh. But I still need cash.
Me: you’d have to use your debit card.
Guest: oh, okay. *inserts debit card in the card reader* how do I do it?
Me: you have to buy something.
Guest: but I already bought my stuff. Can you just give it to me?
Me: no, that’s not how it works. Get like a candy or gum or something small and you can pull out cash during that transaction.
Guest: I don’t want one.
Me: you can use the ATM?
Guest: are you sure you can’t just give it to me?
Me: yes im sure.
Guest: *leaves*
🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ Have you never pulled out cash before ever??!?

At my last job I discovered that it *was* actually possible to get cash back with a debit without buying anything on the transaction, but it goes without saying that this doesn't work everywhere. All you had to do was scan 1 item (I usually used a pack of gum from the checkout stand), void line, total it ($0.00) and the customer could then run their debit card as normal, select cash back and get cash without going to the ATM and paying a fee. I didn't mind doing it for them but it was always funny that they were so happy to have dodged the $4 ATM charge when they had just spent $300 on groceries.

Lmao I always forget about ATM charges since my credit union pays them for me no matter where I go. I’m always like “why can’t people just use the freaking ATM 🤬” then I’m like “oh yeah a fee”

Lmao I always forget about ATM charges since my credit union pays them for me no matter where I go. I’m always like “why can’t people just use the freaking ATM 🤬” then I’m like “oh yeah a fee”
Two fees, the banks double dip. The ATM charges a fee and then your bank charges a fee for using an ATM that your bank doesn't own. Combined total can be between $6-8 just for needing $20 unexpectedly.

So today I had a Mass Hiring event. I had to sit at a table near the entrance to offer jobs to guests that were interested. Some random woman starts screaming at me because the carts were wet (it’s been raining for 3 days straight) and she said that she’s gonna call corporate 🙄

My bank has their ATMs in a large regional convenience store chain so, when I use them there, they are fee-free.

Back