Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

"Why can't they hire more cashiers?"

My store has self-checkout and a lot of guests with just a few items won't use it, even though we have a team member there to watch the machines and provide assistance. However, as soon as that team member jumps on a lane to get the line down, those same guests will decide to use it after all and the team member has to run back over to the machines.

G: Do we just walk in?
Me, quietly: No, I need to know how many items you have, please.
G: Hello? Fuck you. *walks by and into random fitting room*
Me: ._.

Gosh, guess I am too quiet sometimes.

I step right in front of them. With a smile of course and an explanation that I need an accurate count but yeah, I have no problem using my body as a physical barrier.

A guest today was talking about how she was buying too many items while I was putting away reshop. I asked if she had a red card, she could save 5% on those clothes. She snapped "That wouldn't even cover sales tax!" Hmmm, so you want to pay full price plus sales tax because the thought of 5% off gross leading to less sales tax paid is a worse deal? I don't mind a no, as long as the person thinks logically about it.

Or the guest on the phone asking about a video game. I've talked a whole lot of people through getting the dpci number off of Target.com when the MyDevice decides it hates my search terms and it won't let me on Target.com. Roughly 4 out of 5 find it immediately, that 5th person struggles and then says "Oh there it is, I completely overlooked it." This guest swore up and down that the words "Item Details" or "Product Details" didn't appear anywhere on the page, I kept repeating what to do over and over and near the end I asked her what she was seeing and she said "I'm looking at [my memory fails me], it's right under Item Details." Really? You're going to tell me over and over those words don't appear and then admit you see them just fine?

" Attention Target Guests; Target will be closing in 15 minutes....."

Guest walks in and grabs cart. Walks around and doesn't put one thing in the cart.

"Attention Target Guests; Target will be closing in 10 minutes...."

Cart now has a few items

"Attention Target Guests; Target will be closing in 5 minutes...."

Now though grocery

"Attention Target Guests; Target is now closed."

Wait? You guys are clossseeeed.

Why do you think we make those announcements?

Just for fun.

Can I get a popcorn and drink?

o_O

Me: Are you using Cartwheel or any coupons today?
G: Not unless you have any to give me.
---------
G: Can I use your discount?
---------
G: That was supposed to be clearance!
Me: It's not clearance.
G: But it was on the clearance rack!
Me: Only items with orange CLEARANCE stickers are clearance. Another guest must have put it there.
---------
G: Is Starbucks closed?
Me: She's on lunch.
G: But I want a drink.
Me: By state law she must take a lunch at this time. There's a Starbucks across the street.
G: But I'm here and you have Starbucks so why should I have to go across the street for my drink?
--------
G: I'll keep the hangers.
Me: I'm sorry but we are not allowed to let guests keep the hangers anymore. It's a directive from way above my pay grade.
G: But what if I really want them?

Me: Are you using Cartwheel or any coupons today?
G: Not unless you have any to give me.
"You don't have any to give me?"
Me: Uh--no.
G: That was supposed to be clearance!
Me: It's not clearance.
G: But it was on the clearance rack!
Me: Only items with orange CLEARANCE stickers are clearance. Another guest must have put it there.
My life. Every damn day.
I'm sorry but we are not allowed to let guests keep the hangers anymore. It's a directive from way above my pay grade.
Is this an ASANTS thing? Or will it be a company wide thing in the future? We let the guest have the hangers if they request them

....we aren't allowed to let guests have hangers? That's dumb.

"You don't have any to give me?"
Me: Uh--no.

My life. Every damn day.

Is this an ASANTS thing? Or will it be a company wide thing in the future? We let the guest have the hangers if they request them

It's just my store. Our STL is cheap AF and cuts costs wherever he can.

After telling a guest that we can't return items that were sold at a different store on the same day:

Guest: "Well that's fucking dumb, you guys should advertise that. :mad:"
Me: "You're right, we should. Have a nice day. :)"

The thing is...we can, and you should in most scenarios. The only time I stop the guest is if the computer says so. Because about 10% of the time, sometimes the register will tell you, "same day returns need to be returned in the same store." I don't know how the register chooses, but a majority of same day purchases are fine to be returned in a different store on the same day. You just have ever to type everything manually.

The only other time I restrict returns without the register prompting me, are on suspicious, or high dollar returns, usually on electronics. Otherwise, I'm not going to hassle someone just trying to swap sizes on a shirt or something similar.

Back