Archived Guests getting pissed off at SCO.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't like SCO anywhere. Not snobbish, not wanting to make the peons work, it just feels like a time waster. If I have 4 items, almost always I will get out faster by going to an open register than if I have to fumble around to where to put the hand basket without it toppling, fight with getting bags open, turn half the items over and over looking for a barcode. Plus the time wasted by not be able to pull out my wallet until after I have scanned all items, instead of having payment ready to go by the time the cashier scans the final item.

I personally don't like SCO anywhere. Not snobbish, not wanting to make the peons work, it just feels like a time waster. If I have 4 items, almost always I will get out faster by going to an open register than if I have to fumble around to where to put the hand basket without it toppling, fight with getting bags open, turn half the items over and over looking for a barcode. Plus the time wasted by not be able to pull out my wallet until after I have scanned all items, instead of having payment ready to go by the time the cashier scans the final item.

Can't you have your payment ready before you get in line? I have my target wallet open and ready to scan before I even get to the SCO. Same w Walmart Pay and my credit card in hand anywhere else.

I could, if I wanted to scan and bag one handed with the other hand holding payment, and if I wanted to scan and bag one handed while the other hand is trying to keep cards and money and other stuff from spilling out of the open wallet plus holding onto the purse the wallet came out of. Or I could leave the wallet in the purse until everything is scanned and bagged and then pull out my wallet to get the card out to pay. Both take longer than a register, as I will be going slower when one hand is trying to hold onto my financial data. Register, I put the items on the belt, grab the wallet, grab the appropriate card and have it ready to insert as soon as the cashier hits total.

I’m fine with Spot having SCO for the people who want them, but I‘m not one of them. Target’s big PR BS is all guest first, everything for the guest, make the guest happy, run a Yes desk, approach and “help” (read: apply sales pressure to) every guest, and on and on and on, yet they want to save payroll by cutting the cashiers’ hours and expect the guest to cut Spot’s store operating costs by checking themselves out. Yeah, no. Hell no, in fact. If Spot wants to be known for guest service, or just stay in business, then they need to provide the guest service that guests want, not self-serving lip service, and the guest service that a lot of guests want is to be checked out by a cashier. We are actually lucky that so many guests stand up for retail workers and complain about SCOs cutting workers hours, because without them there would be only SCOs and a few TMs scheduled to watch and assist at them, and the rest of the cashiers would be out of a job.

I was grocery shopping before SCO became a thing and IMHO registers are staffed the same plus SCO. Just back then one plus one wasn't the standard...it was always one plus three or four.

I was grocery shopping before SCO became a thing and IMHO registers are staffed the same plus SCO

Not at all the case in my store. Five years ago before my store had SCO, our grid for just the front end was a page and a half. Now it's about 2/3's of a page. There are days where we have 6 cashiers for the WHOLE day. Keep in mind that my store does not schedule cashiers for more than 5.5 hours (6 hour state here). Throw in the 2-3 people who do SCO each day. My store has significantly fewer cashiers/SCO people than just a few years ago....ASANTS??

I prefer SCO unless I have an absolutely massive order of groceries or something in which case it doesn't make sense from a time perspective.

Otherwise, I can do 4-10 items way faster than most cashiers are willing to.

On top of that, and I can't stress this enough... I don't give a fuck about how that cashier is doing and I don't want them pretending they give a fuck about me either. It's not personal. It is what it is. I don't want them pretending they care about me. I don't want to pretend to care about them. It's one of those awkward human things where most people walking around just don't actually give a shit when someone says "How are you?"... people almost always answer "Good, and you?" when they might not even be doing good. I hate meaningless interaction like that. It's just nonsensical LYING.

Cashiers are a dying job and they will be gone sooner than later and rightfully so.

A local Wal-Mart used to have atrocious lines... they now have at least 30 self checkout registers... a cluster on both entrances and a ton in the middle... there is not a single big box store I can walk in and out of faster than that Wal-Mart because of the SCO... unless I get really lucky at a Publix or something.

If Amazon can figure out a way to properly implement what they're trying to do, they're the ones that have it right.. customers pick shit up and it gets added to their virtual cart as they shop... they walk out... they get charged. Pretty simple concept... though I'm sure the implementation is much more difficult.

I could, if I wanted to scan and bag one handed with the other hand holding payment, and if I wanted to scan and bag one handed while the other hand is trying to keep cards and money and other stuff from spilling out of the open wallet plus holding onto the purse the wallet came out of. Or I could leave the wallet in the purse until everything is scanned and bagged and then pull out my wallet to get the card out to pay. Both take longer than a register, as I will be going slower when one hand is trying to hold onto my financial data. Register, I put the items on the belt, grab the wallet, grab the appropriate card and have it ready to insert as soon as the cashier hits total.
Sounds like you’re just bad at cashiering.... sco should always be faster for a couple items if you know what you’re doing.
We keep one lane open at all times. That is why your guests are upset.
Targets best practice says sco is the first and last registers opens everyday

Not at all the case in my store. Five years ago before my store had SCO, our grid for just the front end was a page and a half. Now it's about 2/3's of a page. There are days where we have 6 cashiers for the WHOLE day. Keep in mind that my store does not schedule cashiers for more than 5.5 hours (6 hour state here). Throw in the 2-3 people who do SCO each day. My store has significantly fewer cashiers/SCO people than just a few years ago....ASANTS??
That’s just the a company norm. Nothing to do with SCO. Stores without SCO still don’t get hours up front

I had a bunch of ladies once hollering at me on a Sunday night that we didn't have enough lanes open. I told them I had everybody that could be spared up there already. Their response: maybe you should hire some more. My throw back to them: would you like a job working Sunday Nights here at Target. They both looked aghast at that thought and I just left them with that and walked off.

I’m fine with Spot having SCO for the people who want them, but I‘m not one of them. Target’s big PR BS is all guest first, everything for the guest, make the guest happy, run a Yes desk, approach and “help” (read: apply sales pressure to) every guest, and on and on and on, yet they want to save payroll by cutting the cashiers’ hours and expect the guest to cut Spot’s store operating costs by checking themselves out. Yeah, no. Hell no, in fact. If Spot wants to be known for guest service, or just stay in business, then they need to provide the guest service that guests want, not self-serving lip service, and the guest service that a lot of guests want is to be checked out by a cashier. We are actually lucky that so many guests stand up for retail workers and complain about SCOs cutting workers hours, because without them there would be only SCOs and a few TMs scheduled to watch and assist at them, and the rest of the cashiers would be out of a job.
^This^

We get constant guest surveys complaing about how there is only SCO open in the morning at our store. What makes it worse is we have intergrated guest service directly across from SCO and it seems to confuse and upset them more, even if the cashiers offers to check out the guest at the desk, because they (guest service) tend to be the only cashier until noon on weekdays.

Corp and my ETLS must not mind though because it’s been this way since we got SCO a year ago 🤷🏻‍♀️So, if they don’t care, I don’t care. When I’m opening LOD and the guest says something to me I just apologize, offer to check them out on the intergrated guest service desk and tell them that I have to abide by corporates scheduling procedures.

I prefer SCO unless I have an absolutely massive order of groceries or something in which case it doesn't make sense from a time perspective.

Otherwise, I can do 4-10 items way faster than most cashiers are willing to.

On top of that, and I can't stress this enough... I don't give a fuck about how that cashier is doing and I don't want them pretending they give a fuck about me either. It's not personal. It is what it is. I don't want them pretending they care about me. I don't want to pretend to care about them. It's one of those awkward human things where most people walking around just don't actually give a shit when someone says "How are you?"... people almost always answer "Good, and you?" when they might not even be doing good. I hate meaningless interaction like that. It's just nonsensical LYING.

Cashiers are a dying job and they will be gone sooner than later and rightfully so.

A local Wal-Mart used to have atrocious lines... they now have at least 30 self checkout registers... a cluster on both entrances and a ton in the middle... there is not a single big box store I can walk in and out of faster than that Wal-Mart because of the SCO... unless I get really lucky at a Publix or something.

If Amazon can figure out a way to properly implement what they're trying to do, they're the ones that have it right.. customers pick shit up and it gets added to their virtual cart as they shop... they walk out... they get charged. Pretty simple concept... though I'm sure the implementation is much more difficult.
Number one complaint....no cashiers.

SCO was designed for grab and go orders, not for major shopping trips. Personally l think people are adapting, by not buying as much.

I don't work evenings so I don't know about that time frame, but in the mornings they schedule one cashier and one to watch SCO. Typically that's it. Maybe on Fridays or weekends they have a second cashier. Maybe.

Number one complaint....no cashiers.

SCO was designed for grab and go orders, not for major shopping trips. Personally l think people are adapting, by not buying as much.
I order most things through SFS, in store is strictly for perishables or things I need immediately, and I do buy a lot less at Spot than I used to because of the empty shelves and lack of cashiers. Shopping at Spot is a disappointing and miserable experience these days. A lot of the time it’s a waste of time and gas even going there...

I haven't opened in a long time, so this may have changed. We had one TM on a lane (maybe 2 on a weekend), one in the cash office, and opening GSA/GSTL working the service desk. COTM would cover SD and the opening cashier's breaks when their CO work was done. The first mid cashier arrived at 10 am, and SCO would open once that first round of breaks was completed and the first mid was on the floor.

At night, SCO closes at about 9:00 (the store closes at 10). We have one or two cashiers, depending on the day, from 8:00 on, plus one TM at the service desk and maybe a cart attendant on weekends. No CA on weekdays anymore. So lots of calls for "guest first" after 8 pm, and not a lot of sales floor TMs to come help.

At my store it’s def the first to open, I don’t close so I don’t know but I’d assume it’s last to close too. I agree that it’s not the best idea but you can have four “lanes” open with only only one ™. We try to also have a regular lane open always but if the opener calls out, that’s it for at leadt another 30-60 minutes.

At my store it’s def the first to open, I don’t close so I don’t know but I’d assume it’s last to close too. I agree that it’s not the best idea but you can have four “lanes” open with only only one ™. We try to also have a regular lane open always but if the opener calls out, that’s it for at leadt another 30-60 minutes.
Lol if the opener calls out at my store we are screwed until 1pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back