Archived Guests that "forget" Cartwheel."

What percentage of Forgetful Cartwheel Users have cracked/destroyed iPhones?

• 100%

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 98%

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • 90%

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • 110%

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Guest Service people...I would like some advice! How do you help guests whom make a transaction at the lanes, but forget to present their Cartwheel during the transaction? I have a lot of guests whom come up to guest service with their receipt, saying they forgot to use their app. OR, cases where they come a day later, because their phone had died, yet wanting to still use it on their previous transaction. How do you handle this?

What I usually do, if they come to Guest Service with the receipt the same day the transaction was made, I'll just scan their receipt and process it as a "Wrong Payment" so I can reopen the transaction. At that point, I can just scan their App, hit total, and have the guest re-swipe their card.

However, occasionally, I'll have problems with that method. If the guest is using their Target CREDIT card, and they don't have a large balance on it, if I void the payment, the money doesn't return right away. So when they re-swipe their card, it denies the transaction. Even though the transaction has been undone on our end, the actual funds are still in limbo processing.

Another problem I've had is sometimes an "Error will occur" and the entire transaction is voided before I can have the guest re-swipe their card. So I have to rescan all their items.

BASICALLY, using the "wrong payment" option to reopen the transaction isn't as reliable as I would like. So I was wondering what other methods you guys used for using the Cartwheel app in cases where the guest forgot to use it. It's a huge headache, and my least favorite part of Cartwheel. The fact that guests are fucking stupid an irresponsible.

You could use missed coupon option. Watch out for many how items that the guest wants to use on cartwheel. Up to 4 items per transaction. You may have to do separate 2 transactions.

If the guest seems shady, or if it's a normal SDTM, I have them do K5 Wrong Price, and enter the %-off manually, up to four per item or as the coupon allows. Wrong price usually only refunds the difference to their card, rather than the Target Credit refund issue you cited.

If Wrong Price isn't available, or if it is a GSA or above, missed coupon works too if you calculate the total. Ensure you use the "Fix-a-mistake" written coupon to keep a record of what you did, especially with a Cartwheel deal.

Either way, I've taught them to use caution, and use the Cartwheel scanner to scan each item they want the deal on (to verify Cartwheel views it as a deal item). They are responsible for ensuring the deal is correctly used. They always write on the receipt to note what they did.

Work with your GSTL/ETL-GE to ensure that they are on board with the method you use. My GE is very trusting, so he allows the missed coupon approach.

You could use missed coupon option. Watch out for many how items that the guest wants to use on cartwheel. Up to 4 items per transaction. You may have to do separate 2 transactions.

ASANTS, maybe, but at our store missed coupon doesn't work for Cartwheel.

ASANTS, maybe, but at our store missed coupon doesn't work for Cartwheel.
Nah, you just misunderstand what he means.

Not missed coupon and then scan cartwheel, missed coupon then calculate what they'd have saved and manually enter the amount saved as being a target coupon.

This is how I do it every time. Wrong price is one item at a time, and thus a total PITA. Calculating percentages off on the other hand takes less than a second.

Yeah the Missed Coupon or Missed Discount options don't work for Cartwheel...unless you just do the math yourself, and do a "missed coupon" for that value. I'll do that if the guest bought maybe one or two items on Cartwheel (and if the math is easy.) But if they have lots of different deals, it's really hard and time consuming. Especially when it's just a bunch of 5% of (x food item) deals.

If it's really busy, there have been a few occasions where I've just given the guest a generous coupon to compensate them. Depends entirely on the circumstances. Like if they spent a couple hundred dollars, but their Cartwheel is just for a bunch of assorted food items, I'll just do a $3-5 coupon, which ever I feel satisfies the probable total value of their discounts, rounding up of course. Not the most ideal...but fuck. Every case is different, sometimes that just seems right. (especially since it's fast) LUCKILY, I have some freedom here at my store. I was just hoping there was a better method.

I really wish we could just scan Cartwheel like how you would scan a coupon, because this happens a lot. Especially when there are a lot of Newbie cashiers. The seasoned cashiers I think are more aware if a guest intends to use Cartwheel, where a newbie is just pressing total as soon as they can.

I had an issue the other night like a described where the guest paid with a Target Credit Card, and her money was still processing, thus she couldn't pay with the Target Card. I offered to still compensate her for the 5%, but she didn't want to use a different card. It was just a big, stressful ordeal that I'm dying to avoid have happen again.

Last edited:
If the guest seems shady, or if it's a normal SDTM, I have them do K5 Wrong Price, and enter the %-off manually, up to four per item or as the coupon allows. Wrong price usually only refunds the difference to their card, rather than the Target Credit refund issue you cited.

If Wrong Price isn't available, or if it is a GSA or above, missed coupon works too if you calculate the total. Ensure you use the "Fix-a-mistake" written coupon to keep a record of what you did, especially with a Cartwheel deal.

Either way, I've taught them to use caution, and use the Cartwheel scanner to scan each item they want the deal on (to verify Cartwheel views it as a deal item). They are responsible for ensuring the deal is correctly used. They always write on the receipt to note what they did.

Work with your GSTL/ETL-GE to ensure that they are on board with the method you use. My GE is very trusting, so he allows the missed coupon approach.

Luckily, I've never encountered a shady guest manipulating the Cartwheel app. Though I have had some manipulate missed coupons. Apparently, you can pretty much use as many missed coupons as you want on a single receipt, and the computer has no idea! But that's an entirely different horror story, Lol.

I love just doing the K5 option. It's good for just a few things at least.

Luckily, I've never encountered a shady guest manipulating the Cartwheel app. Though I have had some manipulate missed coupons. Apparently, you can pretty much use as many missed coupons as you want on a single receipt, and the computer has no idea! But that's an entirely different horror story, Lol.

I love just doing the K5 option. It's good for just a few things at least.
If the guest just finished checking out and comes to the SD, I will ask them to get the item(s) the coupon is for. If they come in the next couple of days later, I will type the DPCI in the myDevice and make sure that the item is applicable to the coupon. I'm just not very trustworthy of folks anymore.

Honestly it varies for me.

- If it's a few items and the discount is small, I just wrong coupon it.
- If it's a lot of items, I will do a wrong payment or return the items and then repurchase. I also explain to the guest what's going on and ask if they'd prefer it on the card (they get the excess back to their account but it can take a few days to process and if it's a large order or you're close to your limit it can cause problems) or a gift card (instant use, but any excess has to be spent at Target)

I've noticed wrong price is super unreliable- sometimes it will prompt me to return and resell, sometimes it will send the difference right back.

The one time I forgot cartwheel and actually had a big coupon (I wouldn't have bothered otherwise) they voided then scanned everything over. That would be a pain for people who've bought a lot of things, though.

Honestly it varies for me.

- If it's a few items and the discount is small, I just wrong coupon it.
- If it's a lot of items, I will do a wrong payment or return the items and then repurchase. I also explain to the guest what's going on and ask if they'd prefer it on the card (they get the excess back to their account but it can take a few days to process and if it's a large order or you're close to your limit it can cause problems) or a gift card (instant use, but any excess has to be spent at Target)

I've noticed wrong price is super unreliable- sometimes it will prompt me to return and resell, sometimes it will send the difference right back.

That is the WORST! I hate it! I can't figure out how it even decides to do what it does. I've noticed with RedCard purchases, it makes me return the items....but then sometimes it doesn't. So annoying.

We've been told to void the transaction and re-ring everything. Usually they say never mind.

I wish my guests would say "never mind." :( As much as I sympathize with guests about Cartwheel....if something goes wrong and they get bitchy about it....part of me just wants to tell them, "Well, this is the consequence you get for being unprepared. I'm fixing this the best you can so you can get your .10 difference!"

We always do the return and make them repurchase the items. Sometimes they say nevermind, sometimes they make us do it, but after they realize what a pain in the ass it is, they usually never make us do it again.

Of course if it's food, you can't do a return without it going salvage, so then you have to do it as a fix a mistake and double scan.

Of course if it's food, you can't do a return without it going salvage, so then you have to do it as a fix a mistake and double scan.

If you have a PDA, couldn't you use the Defectives app to "return to stock?" I'm not sure if it works on Red Toss, but the guest would keep the items and you'd basically just void the defective tickets.

Missed coupon, calculate percentage off, congrats on your five cents in change! It's a pain on longer lists, but I enjoy the occasional mental stimulation to prevent my brain from rotting away from the series of idiotic questions.

We always do the return and make them repurchase the items. Sometimes they say nevermind, sometimes they make us do it, but after they realize what a pain in the ass it is, they usually never make us do it again.

I've always hated the way it auto defects the food. I'll try the fix a mistake/double scan. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back