Archived Hardlines TM covering electronics breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have any option of covering electronics breaks?? I’ve been here since Aug/Sept 2017. I’ve covered breaks and even once they put me in electronics all day since there was a call out. I know NOTHING over there and when someone asks me a question I tell them “honestly I have no idea I’m covering the electronics TM’s break”. Because I seriously have no idea, EVEN reading the boxes. I’m lost!!!!! So, if I’m being told to cover breaks or being put over electronics do I have the option to say no? There is this lady who NEVER covers electronics and idk why!! So is that what she did? I don’t know if I even have that option.

Ask someone higher up or an Electronics TM to give you a crash course on what to do. I know how you feel getting thrown into the fray without any prep but that's pretty much how Target goes. In my old store we were mostly in charge of opening the case for a guests and ringing them up at the boat, answering the phone for Electronics call, and attempting to help answer questions when covering breaks. I also know a bit about electronics so it was easier to offer assistance, but if you don't know much about a product and are put on the spot use your Mydevice to do a quick lookup on Target.com and look at the product page for specs and details on the product. Be honest with guests if you're completely clueless on something and let them know that you are covering for the "expert" for the time being.

They threw me in there on a snow day. I can't even turn on some TVs these days without Googling how, even though I should be young enough to know. I pretty much just read the boxes for information. For a guest in Toys, I pulled up an LOL Surprise YouTube video to show her what the toys should've looked like, and she actually came back another day and stopped to tell me her daughter loved the toy. I was very surprised. Once you learn how to work with the department using all the resources, it's a lot easier. The good thing is there's always people nearby who can help most of the time.

And don't forget about activating phones. Anybody can do that, right?
No. That’s Target Mobile only. Also Electronics is super easy. Your main job is to unlock merch and ring them up there. Also, always offer to ring the guy up with 2 TV and 9 headphones in their shopping cart.

No. That’s Target Mobile only. Also Electronics is super easy. Your main job is to unlock merch and ring them up there. Also, always offer to ring the guy up with 2 TV and 9 headphones in their shopping cart.

Some stores have removed tech and the team members are doing activations.

Still op doesn't seem to realize, you are simply a body that is needed because the real team member for electronics cannot be there. They don't expect much, just unlock product and ring it up. It is clear you hate work and are making no strides to learn new things, so just you do what you do best, take up oxygen.

Some stores have removed tech and the team members are doing activations.

Still op doesn't seem to realize, you are simply a body that is needed because the real team member for electronics cannot be there. They don't expect much, just unlock product and ring it up. It is clear you hate work and are making no strides to learn new things, so just you do what you do best, take up oxygen.

So I just saw a commercial for Consumer Cellular. It says .... visit Target. No hours. I realize the pharmacy has limited hours, but they have posted hours on the door and don't advertise on tv. So when people walk in to Target to get a phone, there should be someone in the store to do this. Not just a warm body.

My pilot store now requires style team (softlines) to cover our breaks and only one tm is happy to cover everyone else literally tries to avoid it...they say things like why me isnt there any one else give the keys to so and so instead. Its so annoying especially when the hardlines (general merch) know more about tech than softlines...but I have been reprimanded for handing them the keys when softlines doesn't answer the radio . its even more annoying it has been a few months they should be adjusted and know some things about covering tech by now..but I still get the good ole OMG THANK GOD YOU ARE BACK!

Yes read boxes also helps to look up the items DPCI go to view online and pull up the product details literally everything you need to know about the product. It helps especially when guests ask questions about how much does this TV weigh...its all in the product details on target.com

My pilot store now requires style team (softlines) to cover our breaks and only one tm is happy to cover everyone else literally tries to avoid it...they say things like why me isnt there any one else give the keys to so and so instead. Its so annoying especially when the hardlines (general merch) know more about tech than softlines...but I have been reprimanded for handing them the keys when softlines doesn't answer the radio . its even more annoying it has been a few months they should be adjusted and know some things about covering tech by now..but I still get the good ole OMG THANK GOD YOU ARE BACK!

That's crazy. At my store hardlines covers electronics. Preferably, someone working in toys. The reason is that we're always the closest TMs should backup be needed for guests, so we know what we're doing. And toys can keep an eye on their own section while covering electronics. Also, if electronics is behind, we can help them stock while covering. Softlines is completely lost back there.

So I just saw a commercial for Consumer Cellular. It says .... visit Target. No hours. I realize the pharmacy has limited hours, but they have posted hours on the door and don't advertise on tv. So when people walk in to Target to get a phone, there should be someone in the store to do this. Not just a warm body.

Soo, having the hours posted on the door is all you need to make you happy about telling a guest a certain service isn't open yet? Don't tell Starbucks and food Ave that.

Soo, having the hours posted on the door is all you need to make you happy about telling a guest a certain service isn't open yet? Don't tell Starbucks and food Ave that.
I think they were saying it would be nice if the commercial listed the times since some consumer Cellular guests like to show up right when the store opens when mobile at stores that still have it are not there to help them.

If there isn't an electronics TM who can help them, we just schedule the guest an appointment for when someone will be there. Hours aren't there to always have someone in electronics for phones. But, it's still working out. We've been over sales goal for the department everyday this week.

When Starbucks and Food Ave are closed, they are closed. We don't close electronics. There's a difference. And we don't schedule appointments. Even if we did, if the electronic's person called off, they wouldn't call anyone in.

Any warm body can sell a Consumer Cellular phone. If you have someone that really can’t handle calling the number and activating their phone after you sold it to them, you can dial the number.

It’s not contract mobile.

I got a "how not to be a dumbass in electronics" lecture from an AP TM, mostly geared toward not letting stuff walk out the door (eg. what too look for for scammers & coordinated theft, cash handling (we get a lot of people paying with cash at our store) and stuff like that). As for actual knowledge, well, I can read boxes with the best of 'em...

The worst was when I wasn't even covering electronics officially but was busy AF before Christmas and some guy cornered me and I spent 20 minutes I'll never get back helping show him how to program contacts into his flip phone.

If your store lets you. I use my cell phone in electronics to go over product reviews with guest. Even though I dont know stuff they appreciate I care they get the best product

Any warm body can sell a Consumer Cellular phone. If you have someone that really can’t handle calling the number and activating their phone after you sold it to them, you can dial the number.

It’s not contract mobile.

As someone who did this a few times back when I was in electronics 7 years ago. It's a pain the ass.

Do I have any option of covering electronics breaks?? I’ve been here since Aug/Sept 2017. I’ve covered breaks and even once they put me in electronics all day since there was a call out. I know NOTHING over there and when someone asks me a question I tell them “honestly I have no idea I’m covering the electronics TM’s break”. Because I seriously have no idea, EVEN reading the boxes. I’m lost!!!!! So, if I’m being told to cover breaks or being put over electronics do I have the option to say no? There is this lady who NEVER covers electronics and idk why!! So is that what she did? I don’t know if I even have that option.
Selling Electronics to a guest is not that hard just some basic knowledge.

The most important thing to know about Electronics is upsell the guest with attachments. TVs need cables/cords/antennas, cameras need memory cards/batteries, phones needs cords/memory cards, laptops needs either cases, cords, or USBs. The last video game I played was in 2001. Yet I sold Wii, Xbox, PS games without any knowledge.

TVs
4K - Is Really High HD
HD - Is Standard HD
SmartTV just means a Wifi enabled TV

More Pixels more resolution

For phones, just really start with the guest and see what they want. Do they want Pre-Paid or Contract? Apple or Android? Samsung, Google, LG...

I train everyone in electronics who are willing to learn. The boxes do provide some info but not all. Most TVS do not have full specs on the box if you have a TV Snob of a guest, which is sorta rare.
tons of people ask for phone chargers and video games. Both require keys to unlock peg hooks or game cases.

Lots of people "don't get electronics" but I encourage those who cover to focus on getting to know the area because most people in that small time period will ask you where something is instead of what it is.

I can also understand that other TMs are not interested in electronics due to a highly specific and heavy rule: DO NOT LOSE THE KEYS. Immediate termination, no questions asked. You lose it, you are done. So it is a tough pill to swallow.

In my store, any Hardlines TM covers, and if there is nobody (in the daytime) then its any form of management on the floor TL/ETL/STL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back