Archived has anyone else seen the new vibe stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our STL said tonight at the huddle after a TM explained about an "amazing" guest experience (and using conversate three times and making me want to poke my eyes out) that one of us needed to write her a GTC for it. Lawd Almighty!! I am so done with this. Though he did call out the guys for being properly dressed (and me in my crappy shirt w/ no name tag) which I am thrilled for because I am tired of seeing cart attendant butt.

Last edited:
They like to add these buzzwords in to make things exciting. And to be honestly, the store I'm in as always been "amazing." We are a ULV store, so we can make a little bit of time to go out of our way to help. The only difference now is I have to hear "Amazing" every single day.

We are the same. glad my store is not the only one like this

I read through this thread on Saturday night...until 3am Sunday morning. A short night of sleep, but every time I went into TSC and saw the Vibe board and Vibe cards I couldn't help but laugh to myself about those "vibe-rater" cards. It also was funny because each time I saw those cards I wondered how many TMs from this website were laughing at them, too!

Based on the way my store is set up it is funny leaving the TSC....leaving TSC and turning left you will see (about three aisles away) a full 4 foot shelving unit of condoms....gotta laugh!

My gstls have been using this as an excuse to throw all g.s. policies out the window. No receipt/card? Past 90 days? No driver's license? Oh and you are a notorious coupon scammer,no problem, we'll give you whatever you want. We'll match other target's prices, clearance, and depending on the amount, we'll even match competitors without an ad.

From what I've seen, this isn't the intended purpose. What's worse is it takes all the fun out of pissing off rude guests.

Going the extra inch? More like giving team members the extra inch.

Last edited:
Call me old... but to me, the vibe is just an updated word for good old customer service. There was a time you could go into your local store and they would know your name and habits and help you out. I've been "going the extra inch" since I started. I know my guests and what they are looking for and willing to ask an extra question or two to figure out if we have a substitute when they want something we don't carry. This is how I trained every one of my trainees.
Thankfully, we don't hear the word amazing every day... just every other.

Have any TLs done their "Walk the Vibes" yet? I did mine last night (yeah all at once... took like 5 minutes)... They are the EASIEST things ever! Top and Bottom Sales Areas, your areas sales driver, you do a walking chat with 3 of your TMs, the questions that were on BWs (shorter) BUT you don't have to write anything about them! Literally you put yes or no and the letter for the activity, but you don't have to write what the activity was! Uhh... R for recognize, nobody knows who or when I did that but its on there haha! Week 1 is done...

So does the GTC go away and the vibe card stay??? I personally like the GTC card the vibe card looks silly IMHO.

When my stl asked me what I thought about the vine walk, I responded "do you want me to be completely honest?" To which she said yes, so I responded with "I feel like I'm in kindergarten with this walk, it is so blah." She completely agreed adding that it is very Vanilla. I don't just have to ask my team the questions since I only have 3 people on my team, so I get to ask anyone that's on a specialty team. What did you think about it?

or when a baby is born...amazing

please tell me what relevance this has to our jobs in retail

EXACTLY! Those are my thoughts on this ridiculous program... Since the first day I started working, I've always assisted guests and walked them to the product they were looking for, probing them with questions to see if I could sell them anything else. Most of the times guests simply don't want help or are "just browsing"; thus, want to be left alone. So I figured that was "good enough," but apparently we have to do more "and go the extra mile," but they never explain what that is? Tonight our LOD gave us blank Vibe cards and wanted us to have three AMAZING guest moments and write ourselves cards. I offered up a cart to a woman who had her hands full and then wrote myself a card... I was writing it, when another "manager" walks over and says to me, "You can't just make up stuff." I was like, "I didn't... I just offered a woman a cart," and he didn't believe me. He just gave me this skeptical/quizzical look. I hate this new program, because it's so ambiguous in terms of what "Vibe" means, but at the same time I'm afraid that if I don't follow the stupid orders, I'll lose my job. I'm still new... under my 90 day probationary period... and don't want to be fired simply because I didn't "Vibe" enough. I have a possible (better) job lined up, but as of right now I rely on Spot to pay my rent and keep me fed. If the "Vibe" came w/ a set of instructions, in terms of tasks I need to complete, I'd feel more comfortable w the program. But I don't want to stand there-- like an idiot-- grinning as people walk by me, while I say..robotically... "CIHYFS"? I (sometimes) feel like Target is trying to turn us into a cult... LOL

Stay away from that red Kool-Aid! I heard a rogue VP slipped some cyanide into it...

Figures...

During a huddle, I said under my breath, that there wasn't "much of a difference" between what we do now and the Vibe and "B" heard me and freaked out. She was like, "There is too!" But then wasn't really able to explain it other than, "It's about going above and beyond" or "Going the extra mile," which are all just empty phrases... All the TM walk around asking each other, sarcastically, "Are you Vibing?" or "Are you walking the Vibe?" and we're all like, "Oh yeah, definitely." I wonder if Corporate realizes what a joke this program is; how many TM are passively-aggressively responding to this? If you want better guest service, and want us to be happier and more fulfilled: PAY US MORE! That's a sure fire way to get us all in a "Vibing" mood. LOL

My expression while reading the whole thing:

BlankStare.gif

Stanley for the win. I just started watching "The Office" and basically feel like Stanley. If only I could stand there, cross-word puzzle in hand, during the huddle. I would feel amazing! Huddle for me is basically a mix of me trying to hold in my laughs and not to roll my eyes in front of the LOD. I had my first official "Vibe" huddle today and it was excruciating, the program is so patronizing to its employees...it's quite upsetting! I walked by the cart attendant and was like, "Are you vibing?" and He said, "I don't really talk to people..." I responded with, "Damn, you're lucky!" Haha

Did the "Vibe" meeting yesterday, STL didnt even try to sell it, read the script, watched the stupid ass video,read a little more then told us to have a nice day. Another great example of target wasting money

My people act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread,but then can't offer any real substantive answers or responses about it BEYOND the prompts. It's as if they are teachers using teacher's editions of the book and if you ask them a question that's not in the answer key, they simply cannot do it. If you're truly going to praise something, and live your life by it, you damn well better be able to explain it and offer me answers. I expect these people to be Ph.D. level "Vibers," but so far none of them can offer up anything other than, "Go the extra mile," or "Amazing..." real helpful, guys, real helpful! LOL

I can't say I think its all BS. What was BS was a guest being asked half a dozen times, the same robotic CIHYFS. What we are being asked to do with the Vibe is to be genuine when we acknowledge every guest. If just making eye contact and smiling is comfortable with you, thats fine, so is a simple Good morning. Actually listening to what they want. How many times have you encountered a guest looking confused in paper towels, and when you asked CIHYFS, they responded by "I asked another employee where I could find paper, and they sent me here." Its all about when they ask for paper, you ask what type of paper and then sending or taking them over to electronics for computer paper. Its the genuine interaction with guests that they are looking for.

I guess the term "Vibe" is so outdated, its making us feel stupid using it...

If you had the power to change the name of this new campaign, what would you call it? Seriously. ;)

I am angered as hell by people who want to talk about how great and new and 'jesus christ you didn't do these things before' this stuff is, but can't for their freaking lives .... give you an explanation about what it actually MEANS, LOOKS LIKE, IS. They're like ... totally um, go the extra inch in that ... we can't qualify it and there's really no guarantee we've got your back if going that extra inch results in some kind of confrontation/schism.

I can't say I think its all BS. What was BS was a guest being asked half a dozen times, the same robotic CIHYFS. What we are being asked to do with the Vibe is to be genuine when we acknowledge every guest. If just making eye contact and smiling is comfortable with you, thats fine, so is a simple Good morning. Actually listening to what they want. How many times have you encountered a guest looking confused in paper towels, and when you asked CIHYFS, they responded by "I asked another employee where I could find paper, and they sent me here." Its all about when they ask for paper, you ask what type of paper and then sending or taking them over to electronics for computer paper. Its the genuine interaction with guests that they are looking for.

I guess the term "Vibe" is so outdated, its making us feel stupid using it...

If you had the power to change the name of this new campaign, what would you call it? Seriously. ;)

Well that's the thing, right there. I wouldn't call it anything, because the program isn't necessary. More than anything, I'd call it "doing my job." If a guest was sent to me by another TM, who didn't really take the time to assist the guest, then he/she should face consequences. Basically instead of pushing out this "Vibe" program, why not simply fire people who aren't doing their job? For example: a lady came over to me in electronics and asked for assistance w/ choosing a wireless router. We walked over there but before selling her on anything I asked about her current ISP and internet usage. I learned she was in school and wanted to get off ethernet and be able to walk her laptop around the house. I was then joined by another TM, who assisted in the convo. We asked if she wasn't sure that her current modem wasn't also a wireless router, to which she responded, "I'm not sure... it might be." SO instead of selling her a $40 wireless router, we instructed her to call her ISP to find that out and if not, then she could come back and buy one. She was very happy w/ our help and I with the help we provided, but I don't feel the need to write up a "Vibe" card about... it was just us doing our job and assisting guests. The "Vibe", more than anything should be an ultimatum for those TM who don't do their job and perform the tasks defined by Target: participate in this or be fired! You're choice! Why should all of us be annoyed and impacted by this? I always walk guests to find the merchandise, not simply for them, but because it helps me figure out where stuff is too...so I can look like I know what I am doing and talking about. Instead of an online survey random guests can fill out, why not have comment cards at various locations in the store? If a guest received piss poor or "amazing" service, he/she can simply fill out a card and attach a name to it... hence the nametags... and that TM would be dealt w/ appropriately. If TM "Joe" receives multiple cards saying, "I was ignored in "X" area," or "I asked him for help and he just shrugged his shoulders," then obviously that's something tangible that can be dealt with. That would be my "program" and I wouldn't call it anything.

I am angered as hell by people who want to talk about how great and new and 'jesus christ you didn't do these things before' this stuff is, but can't for their freaking lives .... give you an explanation about what it actually MEANS, LOOKS LIKE, IS. They're like ... totally um, go the extra inch in that ... we can't qualify it and there's really no guarantee we've got your back if going that extra inch results in some kind of confrontation/schism.

EXACTLY instead they throw platitudes at us: "Go the extra inch" or simply refer us to the posters and videos. REAL HELPFUL! If it's all about guest experience and making them feel warm and fuzzy, why don't we greet them w/ a red carpet, a satin robe, and a glass of champagne at the door while offering them our services as personal shoppers? We could hang w/ them during their shopping trip and assist them w/ all their needs. There ya go, that's truly us walking "the Vibe." :wacko:

Yep, I saw a video and was told to have amazing moments. Nothing has changed in my life at Spot. Sorry.

Same, except for they're forcing us to write more "Vibe" cards. They gave us three blank ones last night at huddle that we needed to write for ourselves. I was in seasonal so there were plenty of opportunities to assist guests, but I still felt like a giant tool asking "CIHYFS" just to write myself a card that said, "Amazing job w/ helping that guest, Rob." This program is so fake and imo takes the "genuine" out of everything! If we're "forced" to do these things so we can fill out "Vibe" cards, which evaluate our ability to do our jobs properly, how is it a genuine anything? We're basically being forced by corporate to participate in this! I was happy before when I was just chilling w/ guests and assisting those who really needed my help... now I truly feel like a whore for Spot. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back