Archived Has anyone implented the new RFID rollout or is about to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are too busy stealing my trailer to worry about finding hours to spend implementing this...I feel like it's coming up though. Need to read that one again.

Most casepacks/assortments are coming in with the yellow RFID stickers now, but as far as I'm aware they haven't been implemented into our operations yet.

Years ago, when this idea was originally developed, it was shopped around to major retailers for product tracking. But the retailers didn't want to implement it because it was to expensive (and the tags were big and didn't hold a lot of data). Walmart was the first to push for it, but they wanted their foreign exporters to implement it and pay for that. China refused. So it never happened.

Now, I'm assuming the cost has dropped significantly and the tags are smaller and hold more data. I don't know what information is going to be available. I don't know how the tags are going to be used (I don't see them on products, so they're probably only in the cases, which would mean DC loading, DC to Store tracking, and maybe backroom usage only).

I'm curious if the tags are in these cases. I'll gut one today and look. For my own curiosity. But if I find one, I'll snap a pic.

Edit: I was wrong. The ID is on the adhesive label behind the barcode. Here's a snap. You can faintly make out the antenna. It's sorta shaped like a square tootsie roll.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Years ago, when this idea was originally developed, it was shopped around to major retailers for product tracking. But the retailers didn't want to implement it because it was to expensive (and the tags were big and didn't hold a lot of data). Walmart was the first to push for it, but they wanted their foreign exporters to implement it and pay for that. China refused. So it never happened.

Now, I'm assuming the cost has dropped significantly and the tags are smaller and hold more data. I don't know what information is going to be available. I don't know how the tags are going to be used (I don't see them on products, so they're probably only in the cases, which would mean DC loading, DC to Store tracking, and maybe backroom usage only).

I'm curious if the tags are in these cases. I'll gut one today and look. For my own curiosity. But if I find one, I'll snap a pic.
They actually are on individual items. It is the small white bcode sticker on a lot of the towels and clothing.

Instocks will be involved in some way, and I think they will be using a special scanner or receiver.

It's going to be part of an instocks process and my ETL said there are a ton of stuff they have to eventually read so i got nothing... Pretty sure it's only boys/girls/ G9 and pillow like things at my store so far.

Last edited:
So spoke to our instocks tl today. Certain items in home and domestics and Softlines will have the tags on them when shipped to the store. The instocks team will use s new scanner and walk down the aisle waving it and it will pull the on hands of those items. They will no longer need to be researched

From what he was told this will be the process for now. Spot eventually wants all products to have this and the process will be done during the unload. Any item with this tag will not be counted during the annual inventory process

Checked the documents, April/May for most stores to start this, rolling start date by store. Eventual inclusion of everyone by June I think it said. The attachment gives your start date, etc by store number.

I was told eventually all our products will have this. It will help with on hand counts. Eventually, we will be able to ring up an entire cart just by waving this device around and it will also help AP with theft.

Had an image of my instocks doing the YMCA in the towel aisles. Made me laugh!
I had a similar image in my head we have an older lady on our instocks team that spends 99% of her time complaining about everything and I just couldn't stop imagining her in an aisle having a "wacky waveable arms man" moment trying to get the equipment to work. I also had a great laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back