Archived Possibility Future for Front End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came across this video and couldn't help but imagine Target piloting something similar to this at some point:

Thoughts?

I'm told we're getting RFID marked merchandise to help instocks. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a checkout option if enough things get tags eventually.

Was the video pulled from the thread? I do not see it.
What is RFID marked merchandise?

Hmm, the video is showing on my end, it automatically changes to media bb code, let me see if I can direct link it:
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/homemakingtricks/videos/499148553590382/

It's a video of a robotic checkout system, where the items go through the conveyor and get scanned, and then there's only two baggers at the end, apparently this is common at a popular Texas grocery chain.

RFID tags are scary. Just think if security strips + DPCI merged. AP could theoratically track all items in the store. No scanning bed or gun. Just a run the items over a sensor pad. Done.

My work is trying to implement this. Marked items will be able to be tracked any time and if it is moved from any room.

I looked up RFID tags.. yes scary. they are being implanted in animals and in humans (by choice) for things like getting into vip clubs and paying for drinks..Not that animals are going to VIP places and getting drinks. lol - but it sure seems like invasion of privacy.
It does sound like a good concept for inventory. Wonder if it would deter theft, if people were told all items can be tracked to locations.
OH, PS, the video shows on the computer, just not on my phone.

I watched the video, Ha Ha, it reminded me of the I love lucy with the chocolates on the conveyor belt.. I can see everything falling on the floor if the cashier isn't a fast bagger.

RFID tags are scary. Just think if security strips + DPCI merged. AP could theoratically track all items in the store. No scanning bed or gun. Just a run the items over a sensor pad. Done.

My work is trying to implement this. Marked items will be able to be tracked any time and if it is moved from any room.

Yes and no. I worked with the guy that developed this technology. RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification and is a passive chip meaning it needs power to be activated. An antenna creates an energy field, enough power to activate it as it goes through the field, recording whatever small information is on the chip. You can put an antenna around a door frame or even the opening to your cart or back of a trailer truck. And as the RFID enabled item passes, the information is collected. The chips are small, so the information is limited to just a few words or digits. Maybe a name and quantity. The AP can only track an item when it passes through an antenna. It's not sending out a constant signal.

Just found out my store is a pilot store for the new RFID tags and they are gearing up to start soon. Sounds like a nightmare in the making for Guest Services for awhile...

Hmm, the video is showing on my end, it automatically changes to media bb code, let me see if I can direct link it:
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/homemakingtricks/videos/499148553590382/

It's a video of a robotic checkout system, where the items go through the conveyor and get scanned, and then there's only two baggers at the end, apparently this is common at a popular Texas grocery chain.

One bagger. The other other is a checker making sure everything scanned.

Just found out my store is a pilot store for the new RFID tags and they are gearing up to start soon. Sounds like a nightmare in the making for Guest Services for awhile...
So now they're doing pilot stores? Just a few months ago they were ready to roll it out company wide before delaying it at the last minute.

Why would it be a nightmare for guest service? It'll be a godsend to instocks if it works properly. Scanning softlines will be much better. Especially since our oos is the worst in softlines.

Okay maybe not a nightmare but a big hassle for awhile until every piece of merchandise has the proper tickets and since GS has to process the returns, then it's gonna be another big cart full of crap to deal with...

Okay maybe not a nightmare but a big hassle for awhile until every piece of merchandise has the proper tickets and since GS has to process the returns, then it's gonna be another big cart full of crap to deal with...
I guess I don't understand why it's a problem? I guarantee you your store has had RFID products for the past 4+ months. I know my store had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back