Archived Have any Flow Team Members worked at Target long term (if so, for how long) without ever learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
how to make a bale?

They never taught me, and my boss just asked me to get a guy to go see him so he could teach him how to make a bale. I thought “Is me not knowing how to make a bale something that could lead to me being fired? Or maybe they just never taught me because they plan on firing me?

I don’t know if my worry is rational or I’m just paranoid.

I am seasonal by the way.

The hardest part about baling is punching a hole through the top cardboard so the wires can slide through.

If you don't have the 'tool' you're SOL.

There’s probably about 10 people total that know how to properly make a bale in my store. Out of those 10, I would say that 3 are leaders. Most times if it’s full after flow leaves, it’s left for the next day with cardboard either piling up on the floor in front of it, or in the compactor.

If you’re seasonal you could be let go for any reason, not knowing how to make a bale probably isn’t too high on the list.

And then again, if you know how, it doesn't hurt you!

No. It isn't hard, though it does make a mess if you get it wrong.

You don't have to punch a hole if you run the wires across the top with the thing up THEN squeeze it. Just saying.

Interesting! So, after compression, you can still pull the wires tight???

A little paranoid. They probably are training that team member to work cardboard which also includes making bales. Doesn't mean they don't like you or want to keep you although they may (or may not)

No. It isn't hard, though it does make a mess if you get it wrong.

You don't have to punch a hole if you run the wires across the top with the thing up THEN squeeze it. Just saying.

You can do that with the door still close?

I'm having a booger of a time envisioning this.

Where's my peyote?

In the last couple stores I’ve been in only a handful knew how to do it. Making a bale at my second to last store was simple but the baler at my last store was a little more complicated because the baler was a different model. When bales were needed, everyone was mostly encouraged to just dump their cardboard unattended until the bale expert did it. For as much as everyone is to be trained on equipment, there was only a handful who actually used the equipment.

No, you won't get fired for not knowing how to make a bale, it is handy to know cause it is a skill to do it well and secure. I don't make bales and I am kind to all the guys and girls who can make them, you need a pallet, a jack or those tubs cleared - give me a sec and it will be done.

Think of it this way, knowing how to make a bale can stretch your hours when they get thin since you can volunteer to do cardboard a shitty job but if you need hours you can get a couple that way.

Only a handful of people in the store know how to make a bale, so not knowing isn't a sign that they aren't keeping you.

girls who can make them
That's rich. I've worked @ 4 stores and been with Spot for 0ver a decade and I have NEVER seen a female make a bale. Not saying they can't, just that I have always seen males do it. That list also includes Leadership as well.

That's rich. I've worked @ 4 stores and been with Spot for 0ver a decade and I have NEVER seen a female make a bale. Not saying they can't, just that I have always seen males do it. That list also includes Leadership as well.

Not my fault you have never seen that. I have..

Our receiver and half our backroom team are girls so yeah plenty of them making bales

You can do that with the door still close?

Yeah you put them over the top from the front with the compressor up. Then compress it and stop so you have just enough room to move the wires and place them in the channels. Then compress all the way and open the front. Then run the wire under the bottom from the back and tie like normal.

It's easier than poking holes but not as easy as not overfilling the damn thing in the first place.

Well I'm female and I've made hundreds of bales in my lifetime.

Granted I haven't told anyone at my store that I have a clue how to because I hate doing it and frankly, not my job now.

Yeah you put them over the top from the front with the compressor up. Then compress it and stop so you have just enough room to move the wires and place them in the channels. Then compress all the way and open the front. Then run the wire under the bottom from the back and tie like normal.

It's easier than poking holes but not as easy as not overfilling the damn thing in the first place.
Don't think that would work with our baler because the grooves in the compresser part go lower than the door, so doing it that way would have the wires crushed at the front. It could just be that the mark we have been using to tell when it's full is too far down.

My method for avoiding holes is stacking the cardboard far enough in when loading it (obviously). Or if I get there too late, I'll pull out any oversized pieces and fold it over, and pull out anything that I think might get caught in the wrong spot.

You just saved me so much time

Lol, both my backroom TL sand ETL-LOG are females.. they make bales all the time

Don't think that would work with our baler because the grooves in the compresser part go lower than the door, so doing it that way would have the wires crushed at the front. It could just be that the mark we have been using to tell when it's full is too far down.

My method for avoiding holes is stacking the cardboard far enough in when loading it (obviously). Or if I get there too late, I'll pull out any oversized pieces and fold it over, and pull out anything that I think might get caught in the wrong spot.

As long as it's full enough to make a bale, just run the whole wire through so that all the length of it is behind the machine with just 6 inches or so to the front. Then adjust the wires when the compressor thing is as low as you can see. You can poke the wires back out and if they get folded a bit it doesn't hurt the integrity of the bale after you tie it anyways.

I've never seen a female make a bale. Most can't even climb a ladder in my store.

I've never worked at a place with so many usless people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back