Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Kmart, a subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation, has decided to once again open its doors at 6 a.m. on Thursday -- that's Thanksgiving -- as part of “Black Friday.”

Kmart did this last year too, but as Today Money notes, they at least had the decency to close for a couple hours on Thursday night. Not so this time -- because this time, we’re getting 41 straight hours of shop-’til-you-drop Kmart fun!!!"

Ugh.

"Kmart, a subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation, has decided to once again open its doors at 6 a.m. on Thursday -- that's Thanksgiving -- as part of “Black Friday.”

Kmart did this last year too, but as Today Money notes, they at least had the decency to close for a couple hours on Thursday night. Not so this time -- because this time, we’re getting 41 straight hours of shop-’til-you-drop Kmart fun!!!"

Ugh.

OMG...I would hate working there...are they hiring a crap load of people or something? How do they staff that?

kmart during theire slow time, after 5 pm on turkey day, there will be very few employees and high crime.
So keep your hands warmed in ready for those "five finger discounts" you know what i'm talking about, lol.

I just heard Toys R Us will open at 5pm Thanksgiving Day.

If Kmart is doing 6am-11pm hours Thanksgiving day. I can see Target and Walmart doing 5pm.

It would be stupid again for Target to do the 5pm Thanksgiving Day to 11pm Day After. People were doing doubles to triples to have minimal coverage.

If Target does Thanksgiving again, they need to do it 5pm-12am for the Door Busters and close.

I think we'll know next Wednesday or Thursday. Is there any way they can expect schedules to be written without knowing the time we open?
(It's target, I'm sure that's always a possibility!!)

Also I learned I'm going to be opening LOD Black Friday. *runs screaming into the night*

Last year we wrote the schedule for midnight (maybe 11) and then the Sunday before had to rewrite it when target decided to open at 9. My STL said they would know on the 10th.

:angry::facepalm: I think that by next year we won't be asking when we open for Black Friday, but IF we close at all between Thursday 8AM and Friday 11PM?!?! We haven't been told when we are opening this year, but 7 or 8 has been tossed around. Also we've been told not to be surprised with a 10 or more hour shift. I love working for Spot, I really do, but this time of year always makes me want to hibernate for the winter. :girl_cry2::lazy:

Anyone else offered overtime? Our HR went around to every team member and asked us if we were willing to work OT. I'm working on paying off some debt so i'm excited about it but i know others won't be.

We have a sign-up sheet where people are signing up with times they're willing to come in.

Yep, we got the OT Siren call.....along with the 'possibility' of split shifts & every other kind of schedule crazies.

Same. ETL HR had a pile of papers with everyone's names with availability for peak days, willingness to work OT, and willingness to work split shifts and went around & asked everyone. Not sure, but feel like I may regret saying yes to a few of those "yes" answers....

Yep, we got the OT Siren call.....along with the 'possibility' of split shifts & every other kind of schedule crazies.

Same. ETL HR had a pile of papers with everyone's names with availability for peak days, willingness to work OT, and willingness to work split shifts and went around & asked everyone. Not sure, but feel like I may regret saying yes to a few of those "yes" answers....

Agreed, when you're a TL you feel like you HAVE to say yes. However, if I get a choice I'd want the shift I had last year Midnight- 8am. Just enough crazy and then it's slow the rest of the night until the sun came up.

My TL asked me when I'd like to work Thanksgiving/BF. I told him I'd prefer as late as possible on Friday so I can spend some time with out of town family I don't see often. Hopefully, I won't have to clock in until sometime later in the day Friday but we'll see what happens.

Heard speculation today from one of our Seniors that it'll either be 6pm to be ahead of (mostly) everyone else, or they're going to push it back because of the negative feedback the company got last year... I can't see Target being that kind, but I'm also feeling very cynical towards Target, so who knows. I wish they'd just tell us already.

Conference call on Monday the 11th. We will know at least by then at the latest. We wrote schedule for a 6 pm opening.

Last edited:
Heard speculation today from one of our Seniors that it'll either be 6pm to be ahead of (mostly) everyone else, or they're going to push it back because of the negative feedback the company got last year... I can't see Target being that kind, but I'm also feeling very cynical towards Target, so who knows. I wish they'd just tell us already.

lol I would put the odds to not good they are pushing it back at all. It would seem retailers need to have a **** measuring contest with eachother to see who can open earlier and earlier

lol I would put the odds to not good they are pushing it back at all. It would seem retailers need to have a **** measuring contest with eachother to see who can open earlier and earlier

Same. Like, why would you even tell us that and get our hopes up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back