Archived Heat Exhaustion

Status
Not open for further replies.

themusicalfruit

No, I'm not open. I get paid to stand here.
So, I don't know about y'alls stores but mine is super hot and gross most of the day. I've only been a cashier for about a week but tonight I experienced symptoms of heat exhaustion during my shift. I actually asked my GSATL if I could leave 2 hours early because I was lightheaded and nauseous. I was upset because I'm still new and didn't want to seem weak but I was literally about to PTFO.

I'm just hoping it gets better when the weather cools down in the fall and winter. My store is in the South/Midwest (depends on who you ask) so July and August are gonna be awful due to the heat. You'd think that if guests are even complaining about the heat that the store manager or corporate would do something about making the store cooler during the summer.

Typical Spot or nah?

Get a personal fan like a Vornado. Our store requires a doctors note but I've heard others do not. Some have wires some dont. It doesn't make it 100% better but it definitely helps.

83486114337c

I've heard we aren't allowed to have water at the lanes, but I think legally you can as long as it's closed like a water bottle.

We're told it's an OSHA hazard to have water on a lane without a doctors note. Also has to be only water. But ASANTS.

We're told it's an OSHA hazard to have water on a lane without a doctors note. Also has to be only water. But ASANTS.
Not true.

From the Dept. of Labor:

Employers cannot refuse to allow employees to drink water or require employees to pay for water that is provided. However, employees may not consume beverages (including water) in a toilet room or in any area exposed to a toxic material.

OSHA's Sanitation standard states that "potable water shall be provided in all places of employment, for drinking, washing of the person, cooking, washing of foods, washing of cooking or eating utensils, washing of food preparation or processing premises, and personal service rooms." See OSHA's Sanitation standard for more

Not true.

From the Dept. of Labor:

Employers cannot refuse to allow employees to drink water or require employees to pay for water that is provided. However, employees may not consume beverages (including water) in a toilet room or in any area exposed to a toxic material.

OSHA's Sanitation standard states that "potable water shall be provided in all places of employment, for drinking, washing of the person, cooking, washing of foods, washing of cooking or eating utensils, washing of food preparation or processing premises, and personal service rooms." See OSHA's Sanitation standard for more

This applies to the ability to drink. Not proximity. They can't stop you from going to get a drink, they can stop you from keeping it with you

I used to drink all kinds of stuff at the lanes when I was working there. They never stopped us from having it either. I guess they just don't care.

I have a floor standing fan in FA that the STL requisitioned. As long as it's kept clean we're golden. They have industrial fans all over the backroom - I don't know why they can't have a few up front.

I've heard we aren't allowed to have water at the lanes, but I think legally you can as long as it's closed like a water bottle.
at my store you needed a DR's note to have water. During the summer I had a bottle under my register and I was like "if they have a problem ill take full responsibility but it is too hot for this!"

I have a floor standing fan in FA that the STL requisitioned. As long as it's kept clean we're golden. They have industrial fans all over the backroom - I don't know why they can't have a few up front.

The fans we have in our backroom sound like a jet getting ready to take off. They're so loud. We've had to turn the *overhead* fan off before we had a huddle once because it was so noisy. As for the big one that sits on the ground...forget about it! You can't even talk to someone standing next to yo if you're near it. -_- Nice in theory, but they don't really cool you down all that much for as noisy as they are.

at my store you needed a DR's note to have water. During the summer I had a bottle under my register and I was like "if they have a problem ill take full responsibility but it is too hot for this!"

I think that's how it is in my store. The rule is "no...unless you really really need to."

It gets really hot at my Starbucks counter because we're working between a coffee brew station & an espresso machine so we'll all have cups of ice water ready to stash/toss if Steritech/city health walk in.
During August we were actually having fights over who would get to stock in the deep freeze; the one time of year the pastries are perfectly FIFO'd.

It gets really hot at my Starbucks counter because we're working between a coffee brew station & an espresso machine so we'll all have cups of ice water ready to stash/toss if Steritech/city health walk in.
During August we were actually having fights over who would get to stock in the deep freeze; the one time of year the pastries are perfectly FIFO'd.
Same in the Deli. Between the oven and the fryers, it's way too easy to overheat, even when the rest of the store feels good. I love pulling meat/cheese chubs out of boxes in the cooler in the summer...

I have the greatest Steritech hiding place of all time!

The backroom is burning up in the summer and freezing in the winter. Even if the backroom was a normal temp...with running up and down ladders and walking here and there etc...you still work up a sweat in no time. Thank God there is a water fountain nearby. Also, if I start getting really hot I will step in the walk in for a second. On the other hand. I also know it gets hot up front....its just hot all the store. Hell., you cant even go into the breakroom to cool off ( at least at my store) its humid and hot as hell in there.

I have never been in a Target store in the middle of summer that didn't feel oppressively hot. And this is in a part of the country that actually gets cold in the winter!

Last edited by a moderator:
The backroom is burning up in the summer and freezing in the winter. Even if the backroom was a normal temp...with running up and down ladders and walking here and there etc...you still work up a sweat in no time. Thank God there is a water fountain nearby. Also, if I start getting really hot I will step in the walk in for a second. On the other hand. I also know it gets hot up front....its just hot all the store. Hell., you cant even go into the breakroom to cool off ( at least at my store) its humid and hot as hell in there.

The heat is what gets me, it is A LOT easier to make yourself warm, than it is cold.

I am always breaking out in a sweat. I am hardlines and we do alot of walking. But our one stockroom is actually cooler than the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back