Archived Heat in store making people ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found out why our store is so hot:

I was talking to a Spot veteran and she said half of our A/Cs (that’s 7 out of 14) have been broken for two years and they refuse to repair them because our store is TOO OLD! And in lieu of fixing those A/Cs they run humidifiers, which is why our store is always hot and muggy.

I know several stores that have solar equipment on their roofs and the temp in the store is still warm. Solar is there to cut energy costs.
Solar companies install their panels on our roofs, this gets Target a tax credit. The energy derived from solar does not power the store or create income for the company. It goes right back to the grid.

I was talking to a Spot veteran and she said half of our A/Cs (that’s 7 out of 14) have been broken for two years and they refuse to repair them because our store is TOO OLD! And in lieu of fixing those A/Cs they run humidifiers, which is why our store is always hot and muggy.
What’s your yearly sales volume? The only way I could see this being true is if you’re extremely low... in which case your store may be closing. Otherwise you were lied to.

If your store is too old they should be remodeling it, what with the craze for remodels these days.

Maybe they will close down the store, that's why they are not investing in it. Better come up with an evacuation plan for yourself before it's too late.

Solar companies install their panels on our roofs, this gets Target a tax credit. The energy derived from solar does not power the store or create income for the company. It goes right back to the grid.

Makes sense. From what I understand solar panels are fairly inefficient (only a small % of solar energy is converted to current) so powering a big retail space would need a lot of them and they'd have to be huge

Depends on the location, to be sure. Here in MN they'd be better off putting wind turbines on the roof than solar, but those tend to piss of the neighbors, for some reason.

What’s your yearly sales volume? The only way I could see this being true is if you’re extremely low... in which case your store may be closing. Otherwise you were lied to.

I’m not sure what our sales volume is but I know we are ULV for sure.

"Recognization to masterofalltrades for all his hard work in our warm store!!!"

If you truly have 7 units down and there’s no plan to fix them, I’d keep my ears open for talk of closure if I were you. Fixing/replacing them would take a huge reinvestment. Spot wouldn’t reinvest that kind of $ in a store that they didn’t plan to keep.

If you truly have 7 units down and there’s no plan to fix them, I’d keep my ears open for talk of closure if I were you. Fixing/replacing them would take a huge reinvestment. Spot wouldn’t reinvest that kind of $ in a store that they didn’t plan to keep.
Wouldn't the store have been closed 2 years before, when they first broke?

They wouldn’t close the store because the AC broke, they would however not fix them if they planned to dump the store. It would be wasted money. A lot of factors go into closing a store, but consistent lack of investment is a big one.

The ACs broke two years ago. That means two years ago Target would have had to already known they were closing the store. So why keep the store open this long?

Or corporate Target is not really that concerned with store temperature since they aren't there, unless there's a bunch of guest complaints at once.

The ACs broke two years ago. That means two years ago Target would have had to already known they were closing the store. So why keep the store open this long?

Or corporate Target is not really that concerned with store temperature since they aren't there, unless there's a bunch of guest complaints at once.
As stated, there are many factors that go into the decision to close a store, and it is something that gets decided over a period of time. A BIG red flag is lack of reinvestment. Has this store gotten any remodels? New stackers or waves? New carts? How often does it get stripped and waxed?

Im not a corporate mouthpiece, I disagree with a lot of things that go on at all levels in this company, I’m just presenting a very plausible explanation of what is potentially going on here. However, if you’re absolutely certain that HQ simply does not care about this one store in particular, you are more than welcome to believe that.

I was talking to a Spot veteran and she said half of our A/Cs (that’s 7 out of 14) have been broken for two years and they refuse to repair them because our store is unprofitable! And in lieu of fixing those A/Cs they run humidifiers, which is why our store is always hot and muggy.
Fixed that for you. But the age can be a factor. Agree that it could be shut down.

Maybe they will close down the store, that's why they are not investing in it. Better come up with an evacuation plan for yourself before it's too late.
THIS!

Are there any other targets near you?

My store almost closed. Its not modern (if I say how much this can link to me). I have mentioned this when I first started posting I thought it would. When I started, nothing was being maintained unless it was an emergency. Then suddenly we had a really up year . I mean shockingly up. Then the reinvestments happened. We got the a/c repaired. We got Baby360 We got new electronics . New starbucks. The cart area floor was rubberized. We got a new wave. the are upgrading our pfresh. We were chosen for drive up. We have changes out carts twice. Oh we got 4 new motorized carts, the intellectually challenged cart, the physically challenged cart etc

You aren't getting the a/c fixed not because of age but because your store doesnt make the money to invest in. Your store is almost dead.

Same at Dustribution Centers.

Corporate sets the level to 85 even though corporate is in a frozen tundra compared to the death valley temperate hell we are in. Thanks all-knowing corporate! *melts*

Yup! That's the biggest issue. Corporate is stuck in that stupid fucking Minneapolis mindset for everything.

Corporate does not set levels to 85, I can pretty much guarantee that. If they truly believed 85 was an acceptable temperature and can't overcome the "Minneapolis mindset" they just wouldn't install A/C as indoor temps above 85 are generally rare. There'd be no point, from an "Minneapolis mindset" perspective, to waste money on installing air conditioning only to keep the temps at 85.

Corporate does not set levels to 85, I can pretty much guarantee that. If they truly believed 85 was an acceptable temperature and can't overcome the "Minneapolis mindset" they just wouldn't install A/C as indoor temps above 85 are generally rare. There'd be no point, from an "Minneapolis mindset" perspective, to waste money on installing air conditioning only to keep the temps at 85.

They allowed the AC to be installed at our DC not because of the heat but because of the need for humidity mitigation. Because the humidity in the south gets so bad the concrete floors sweat and once the floors sweat we basically can't move around in equipment without sliding into walls and racks and product and people and other fun whatnots.

And they do set our temp. We have been told point blank that E&F (Engineering & Facilities) must reach out to corporate in order to obtain permission to change the thermostat. I only wish this was a joke because it's too sad to be true.

Are there any other targets near you?

My store almost closed. Its not modern (if I say how much this can link to me). I have mentioned this when I first started posting I thought it would. When I started, nothing was being maintained unless it was an emergency. Then suddenly we had a really up year . I mean shockingly up. Then the reinvestments happened. We got the a/c repaired. We got Baby360 We got new electronics . New starbucks. The cart area floor was rubberized. We got a new wave. the are upgrading our pfresh. We were chosen for drive up. We have changes out carts twice. Oh we got 4 new motorized carts, the intellectually challenged cart, the physically challenged cart etc

You aren't getting the a/c fixed not because of age but because your store doesnt make the money to invest in. Your store is almost dead.

Yes. There are two other Targets within 30 miles of us. And we had a remodel in the last two years. I know we aren’t a major store but they should still take care of us while we are working our asses off and making them money, even if there is a possibility of closing soon.

Are there any other signs the store might be closing? We have been doing great in sales the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back