Logistics Hiding injuries for failing drug tests

We got a couple people on flow and brtm that got hurt from random actions. A lot of them won't speak up because they know they'll have to go to targets doctor and that means a drug test which some would fail.

One TM got fired because someone told HR they were hurt and that TM was forced to take a drug test or they couldn't return to work.

Does your store do the same thing?

we had a tm termed using equip to move something. They got hurt & tested positive for drugs. Pushing a shopping cart, moving a shelve, tub or flat is considered equip.

I've injured my back twice so far working in Logistics, and both times I just filed an incident report and there wasn't too much to worry about. In both cases I was asked if I felt that I needed to go to a doctor, but thankfully in both cases it was minor enough that I could get by on "light duty" and rest so I was able to avoid seeing Target's doctor. However, throughout the conversation drug tests weren't mentioned and I was certainly never threatened.

I think that if I had decided that I needed medical attention for my injury, I might have needed to do a drug test but I can't say for sure. The need for a drug test might also depend on how the injury occurred; injured working the crown versus cutting yourself while breaking down boxes.

We lost an overnighter who got hurt, filed a report, sought medical treatment so he had to take a drug test, which he failed.
After he got termed several other TMs have had mild to moderate mishaps but nobody will file a report or seek medical treatment except at their own doctor or a minor emergency clinic.
And they don't say it happened at work.

Those tests cost Spot money... I'm sure they don't always do it.

At my store if you wanted to document a work related injury of any kind that would cause you to see a medical professional outside of the building, then you had to submit to a drug test.

Period.

Lets be honest.. the "drug tests" basically detect TM's that smoke pot.. it's stupid. They can't even prove that you were stoned when it happened. You could have smoked weeks ago. Marijuana should be omitted from these results, but then nobody would fail these tests and it would cost these companies millions more.

Alcohol and drug tests were required at my store for any incident report. Lots of TMs have failed and have been termed. Lots of TMs just walked, rather than be subjected to testing that they knew they'd fail. It was kinda sad in some circumstances because the drugs/alcohol didn't relate to the accident - for example, slipping on spilled liquid. TM would probably have slipped even had he not smoked pot last week.

They seldom, if ever, enforce drug tests at my store simply because they know 90% of the store would get termed due to the amount of team members who enjoy weed.

That being said, if they cause an accident and someone else gets hurt, or if they do substantial damage, then their hands are tied and they have to do something.

A TM once dropped a box from the wave down onto someone else's head. They were both drug tested. The guy on the wave failed and was termed.

When I got a hernia from Doing a team lift , I was drug tested every time I went in to the doctor for a check up.

Was an annoyance, but understand why they do it. You wouldnt want someone to run you over in a wave high on all sorts of drugs, and not get fired. And yes that includes Marijuana, and other "recreational drugs". Alot of these rules are OSHA requirements, and are needed to scare people away from showing up to work high and using equipment and hurting themselves or someone else.

Being on the west coast weed is legal in all 3 states. I wonder how that would factor into a drug test.

They can't tell whether you were under the influence during or after work so any positive is grounds for denial of a claim and possibly termination. I live in WA and I've seen it happen.

Back