Archived Hot, hot, hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year during a cashier shift a guest in shorts and a tank top mentioned how warm it was and I told her that she could take the guest survey and let Target know about her sweaty shopping experience. She said " Oh no it's not THAT bad, but YOU should tell them!" I thought to myself "Lady, they don't care if I'M hot!!!" I'm amazed that some team member hasn't passed out and sued Target. Oh and this is my first post!
Welcome to The Break Room.

Our sales floor is usually icy cold during the summer. We get old people complaining about it all the time. Meanwhile the backroom is an oven. Not fun when you're just 15 minutes into your shift and already sweating. I wish we could wear shorts back there...

Last year during a cashier shift a guest in shorts and a tank top mentioned how warm it was and I told her that she could take the guest survey and let Target know about her sweaty shopping experience. She said " Oh no it's not THAT bad, but YOU should tell them!" I thought to myself "Lady, they don't care if I'M hot!!!" I'm amazed that some team member hasn't passed out and sued Target. Oh and this is my first post!
I need to start stocking customer comment cards at the fitting room for this exact reason. We actually have team members who have respiratory issues that makes it very dangerous for them to be overheated.

I've always been told that the AC is controlled by HQ in Minneapolis. I didn't know each store had their own thermostat. Ive asked everyone from HR to our LOD and they all deny that we have any control over the temperature. I've seen those personal desk fans that Target sells...I wonder if I could buy one and set it up at my register? Probably need Dr. note?

They are right...they don't have any control over the temperature. But obviously there has to be some sort of thermostat for the equipment to know when it is the correct temperature to turn on/off the heat/air.

Every store has a thermostat for each A/C unit. Look on the columns throughout your sales floor and offstage areas on the wall. They are small beige squares that might say something like "RTU#".

Corporate controls the A/C. Your store team isn't lying to you. Think about your home, how much does your electricity bill go up when it's warm out? Now think of Targets electricity bill. Millions and millions of dollars, spread across the entire country.

Now remember that what may be comfortable to YOU may be too hot, or too cold to someone else. Target realizes this, and has in place a system that works to keep the store temp and relative humidity between certain set points. I believe it's 65-74°, but don't quote me. As long as your PMT is doing his or her job, there is nothing that can be done about it.

Also, you may not realize it but when district and above leaders come into your store, they too would notice if the temperature is uncomfortable, they can easily make a call to the PM Business partner, who will then follow up with the PMT.

at our store they allow the cashiers to have a small battery operated fan at our register as long as it doesn't plug in, it helps a little until the batteries die. I think they want us uncomfortable so we move around.

Our cashiers have been taking very long breaks. They stay in tsc until it's quite noticable that they have been there much longer than 15 min.
It really pisses me off. I'm not a babysitter.

It's really getting unbearable. I've never had this many guest complaints about the heat. Lately if a guest complains about it, I just say "if there's any feedback you want to give to the store, let us know on the survey."

Last edited:
Our cashiers have been taking very long breaks. They stay in tsc until it's quite noticable that they have been there much longer than 15 min.
It really pisses me off. I'm not a babysitter.
Must be nice. It's hotter than hell in our TSC.

Our store is generally fine and we have had some hot days recently. Backroom is usually a decent temp (except for electronics where there is a rack of servers heating up the room).

It can get a little uncomfortable before the store opens, but it cools down after 8am (I swear they have the AC on the same timer as the lights).

To everyone who is complaining about the hot temp: Don't forget how bad it must be for the flow TMs who throw the truck or for the CAs who are stuck outside all day.

Our store was unbearably hot tonight - so much so that I felt a bit sick after a couple of hours in it. I wasn't the only one, either. Numerous guests complained about it and I suggested they mention it on the survey. Several said they would and others just rolled their eyes and muttered something like "That won't help." or "Even WalMart is cooler than this store and Walmart is horribly hot!"

Our Walmart is freezing! I can't imagine their utility bill.

I've always been told that the AC is controlled by HQ in Minneapolis. I didn't know each store had their own thermostat. Ive asked everyone from HR to our LOD and they all deny that we have any control over the temperature. I've seen those personal desk fans that Target sells...I wonder if I could buy one and set it up at my register? Probably need Dr. note?
Our lovely etl req'd a couple out for us. After a guest passed out from the stifling heat.

Apparently the pharmacist was complaining to the PMT today that it feels a bit hot back there...PMT goes back to check and its 68 degrees!!! A good 5 degrees cooler than the salesfloor.

We have a pregnant TM and I felt so bad for her today even the water wasn't helping her. It's days like today you wish you had personal fans for everyone.

An expectant Mother should have the Father helping out, and not be working so hard at that stage.

Expectant Fathers! Don't be douchebags!!!

Take care of your Woman!

Our lovely etl req'd a couple out for us. After a guest passed out from the stifling heat.

Okay if you have people passing out, then you have a serious problem.

The weather cooled off here for a few days. That said, guest services runs their fan nonstop.

Okay if you have people passing out, then you have a serious problem.

The weather cooled off here for a few days. That said, guest services runs their fan nonstop.
After 2 years they kinda sorta fixed the ac. It is now tolerable up to 80°, but past that it still gets gnarly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back