Archived Hot, hot, hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have threads like this every summer, but is anyone else's store extremely, uncomfortably HOT?! Granted, it has been really hot outside lately, but our store temperature everywhere has been at least 80 degrees for weeks now. On Saturday I brought a thermometer to the checklanes and it read 84 degrees! It's to the point where numerous guests have complained about it and have said that they won't shop here if it doesn't improve. We have put in work orders numerous times to have the AC looked at but nothing changes. A few of the cashiers have gotten ill from the heat and nearly passed out. Any ideas?

Workorders>SFT>ETL-HR>STL>Hotline. Store should have a temp range of 70-75 throughout the salesfloor and backroom, can be verified by having someone check on the IOP Panel in the electrical room. Anything displaying a 0 for a reported temp has a blown fuse or damaged likely. Front end is hard to maintain and can run warmer with the doors constantly opening up and letting the cooler air out.

I'm wondering if they are postponing any AC work/replacement due to our upcoming pfresh remodel?

We have our local HVAC repair guy in the store every few days. It's a running joke between the two of us.

Something my STL last summer did to at least help the breakroom was to put a styrofoam cup over the temp sensor. This worked like a charm and tricked the A/C into turning on! Is it practical for the whole floor? No, but at least it provided relief on break.

The store I started at was uncomfortable yesterday already. There was someone in to look at the a/c right away in the morning, but I don't know if that will lead to anything.

My store used to be really hot, especially during the remodel. It was miserable.

Fortunately, pfresh cools the whole store down a LOT! All those coolers and freezers are really refreshing on hot days.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind turning off half the store lights during business hours? On occasion recently, our main store lighting has been powered off during HOT summer days in what appears to be a way to save energy for a few hours? IMO, guests have the impression that this is a cheap business practice that says, "you're not buying enough in our stores, so lets turn the lights off" giving the wrong impression to the guests. Although, I do agree with saving energy! There has to be other ways to do it though!

Frontlanes are always going to be a bit warmer due to the fact that the doors will constantly be opened allowing cold air to get out and the amount of people bunched up while checking out will produce heat and food ave is located close to the checklanes and nothing but hot air comes from there especially if they have a pizza hut express.

But I'm a cart attendant so it's hard for me to hear anyone complain about the temp inside when I'm outside in the actual heat grabbing carts. Just yesterday it was 95 and today is suppose to be 97... Summer is just getting started. Atleast I'll get a tan, although it's going to be a farmers tan.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind turning off half the store lights during business hours? On occasion recently, our main store lighting has been powered off during HOT summer days in what appears to be a way to save energy for a few hours? IMO, guests have the impression that this is a cheap business practice that says, "you're not buying enough in our stores, so lets turn the lights off" giving the wrong impression to the guests. Although, I do agree with saving energy! There has to be other ways to do it though!
Happening in our city, too. It's to take the strain off the grid during peak times. Many large businesses around here are doing it. We have a sign posted at the entrances that mention Target as a "power-saver partner" or something to warn guests about the lights. It occurs during several-hr blocks at peak times but does NOT impact AC.
They've also been turning down the lights in the break room, tmsc & exec office areas. The back room has skylights so they're not affected.

Last edited:
Something my STL last summer did to at least help the breakroom was to put a styrofoam cup over the temp sensor. This worked like a charm and tricked the A/C into turning on! Is it practical for the whole floor? No, but at least it provided relief on break.

where is the temp sensor, and what does it look like? :D

two of our units went down FOUR WEEKS AGO. the next week two more went down, my guess is because of the additional strain (hmmm... maybe hq should remember this). apparently, our old dinosaur store has old dinosaur a/c that had to have special parts ordered. they finally got one fixed last week, one this morning. it's literally 95' in the backroom. the only cool place in the building is tsc.

Front end is hard to maintain and can run warmer with the doors constantly opening up and letting the cooler air out.

Not only that, the registers produce a lot of heat. Plus, there's always a lot of body heat near the lanes from all the guests.

Not only that, the registers produce a lot of heat. Plus, there's always a lot of body heat near the lanes from all the guests.

Electronics get pretty hot from all the tv's and displays running. The console displays put out a ton of heat.

Yeah during my hourly walk around the store for trash, spills, and stray carts, I make sure I walk around p fresh for an extra minute or two.

Ugh, not looking forward to working tonight, it's going to be unbearable. Luckily the fitting rooms somehow magically are freezing...I'll just take my time cleaning them out tonight. :D

At FA, we're fighting over who gets to put away the order in the walk-in. :D

Today was a demand-response day. I turned the lights off at GS, too!

It is hot,hot,hot in our store. I feel for the cashiers!!!! Several cashiers have been getting sick and one even collapsed on the floor! I asked one of the cashiers are you allowed to have water up front or least get water and he said no they do not care about us up front. Basically if people start dropping like flies on the front lanes spot doesn't care..... So sad.....

Target water bottles or cafe cups w/lids - water only. That's the rule at my store.

We do have a waterfountain but the water (though cold) tastes extremely funky. We are allowed to have water bottles though. Our LOD last night at the huddle made the comment that she wished someone would figure out how to set the AC. It's rediculous how hot it is. I was in mkt and liked being on the end of the aisles near the coolers.

There's probably a water fountain conveniently located near the cashiers...

Yep, but it's extremely hard to step away to get a drink, and since the one water fountain runs nonstop, it certainly isn't cold.

Also, if I have one more guest complain to me about it being hot in the store, I may scream. We (the cashiers) have already been told it's fine. They won't listen to us. So either hunt down an ETL, or fill out the survey. Complaining to me does no good, when I have no sympathy for you because I'm stuck in the store a lot longer with nothing to drink and in long pants.

Last edited:
Keep a stack of comment cards at your register & give one to each guest who complains about the temp.
Tell 'em to not only fill out the card, but to call the guest relations number on it to REALLY follow up.
Then direct them to add it to survey comments. You'll get more surveys; corp might take notice. Win-win.

My store used to be really hot, especially during the remodel. It was miserable.

Fortunately, pfresh cools the whole store down a LOT! All those coolers and freezers are really refreshing on hot days.

Ours doesn't cool the whole store AT ALL! It's so hot -- those on flow sweat SO MUCH and we are NOT allowed anything to drink on the floor. The pfresh area is cool but not much cooler. The whole store is so hot....many guests have complained but nothing is done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back