Archived Hours cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovecats

Free At Last!
I was wondering if anyone else's store has this happening. We've been hiring tons of new cashiers and they've cut hours on the ones that have been there longer. I'm considered full time (got a letter from Tgt and everythin:D) and lately I'm lucky to get even 30 hrs. On the new schedule that was just posted I'm down to 20 hrs and only 3 days a week. It's very discouraging.

Oh, and does anyone else still check the old site? I do everytime I get online. And has anyone heard if it's ever coming back up? Just curious.

lovecats, we have the same problem in our store with cutting hours with flow. With back to school fast approaching there have been lots of new hires. Where do the hours come from for them? They take our hours. I've been working 3 days a week for several months now. Yes, it is discouraging, but the way I see it many of the newbies won't last long and we'll get our hours back. I would suggest being trained in other areas. Also check to see if others need someone to trade shifts. A coworker offered me one of his days next week as he is thinking of going out of town.

Some of the new hires are coming in to help during BTC/BTS, some are to cover people who leave during the summer months. The paperwork for the summer rollouts calls for new hires, unfortunately there won't be a lot of added hours to cover their training in preparation of the shifts they will be called in for. We're HOPEFULLY only about 3-4 weeks out from hours increasing again.

As always, cross train and hope for the best.

I got my "nice" hours cut by like 6 hours each week now because we got a new trainee... one of our guys is leaving and my ETL is like "omg we have to get a repalcement NOW!"

I don't understand why we 3 remaining people can't his leftover hours for a week or so.... but no.... they have to get a replacement in a whole month before he leaves... grrrr

Yep, The Mule is the master of the fixture room (and most of the rest of the store but I'm seriously jealous about the fixture room).

Back on topic. At my store they've been cutting hours for the presentation team even though there are a couple of major resets because they had to hire a bunch of new hardlines people and needed the training hours.

It is so competitive for hours at my store. You have to be a hard worker , crosstrained in 2 or 3 areas just to get 28 to 32 hours a week. its possible but you have to be on them to take a lunch and stay for backroom or pushing the line or helping Plano after the truck is done or what ever they want. Its also easy to pick up a 4 hour shift on a non truck day for flow/br if you are cross trained. Almost the entire Instocks team is made up of Flow team members who change work centers after lunch. So my advice is cross train, cross train, cross train ; )

We've been hiring sporatically (more like erractically) in an effort to increase our pool for front end. After end of school & Memorial Day, we had lots of call-outs & NCNS without enough people to call in. As a result, some people found themselves getting cut to the bone & others CA'd out the door. Some left & simply didn't bother to come back (can you say 'job abandonment'?).

Since I came back from college, one of my colleagues got fired and since then, I've had my first 30+ hours since returning. But recently my latest schedule revealed to be only 20+ hours 5 days a week but only 4-5 hours per day, which is really discouraging because i've noticed a lot of terrible things from cutting back.

when i work late evenings, i always hear the "additional cashiers to the front lanes", and when i look, its terrifying to see only 3-4 cashiers running a long line of people when its still 7-8pm and 3 hours to closing.

and the swap shift board ive seen has been filling up fast, and more people are taking the longer 8 hour shifts than usual. so unless u can do cashier/ales floor but are able to do other stuff like market/bakery, then u might be better off. so cashier + a few other jobs will get u the hours, but it sucks they cut back on ur main job.

My store hired a lot of new cashiers around Easter time, and now none of us get very many hours. I check the shift swap book all the time, and other TMs take all the shifts I'm available for. Supposedly I'm going to be crosstrained in hardlines, but so far nothing has happened on that front.

It's funny how they won't give us hours, yet we have to keep calling for backups all the time.

Because we didn't have a big cashier pool, a lot of our hrs were going to SFTMs. I wouldn't mind except the SFTLs come up & take them to SF promising our GSTLs that "they'll be the FIRST to come up for code ones", which - of course - doesn't happen. Our GSTLs are about to bite thru their PDAs out of frustration. :mad:

My store must be the only one increasing hours. For the past 3 weeks I've been getting 24-26 hours for cashier, and that's not including a couple of extensions and some call ins.

Memorial day I was asked to come early and stay later and they actually gave me over over time.

Because we didn't have a big cashier pool, a lot of our hrs were going to SFTMs. I wouldn't mind except the SFTLs come up & take them to SF promising our GSTLs that "they'll be the FIRST to come up for code ones", which - of course - doesn't happen. Our GSTLs are about to bite thru their PDAs out of frustration. :mad:

Red, I will come for backup! Faster out the door, more sales for the whole team! I tell that to all sf folks!

Red, I will come for backup! Faster out the door, more sales for the whole team! I tell that to all sf folks!

Thanx, HLM!
That reminds me....think we'll get enough TMs for another round of "Fantasy Target"? We gotta get Daninnj on here. He was a riot as the crazy guest/arsonist!

My hours have been cut drastically, but they went back up for next week because one of our service desk girls won't be able to work as much now, so that's good for me!

Our O/N br typically get all the hours they want. This year has been a little different. The payroll crunch is really on. We're shoving our team out the door almost as soon as they get there. The br has suffered as a result. Hours are picking up a little as btc/bts approaches, but the team is very frustrated to see us bulking up our schedule with new hires when they've been begging for hours for months.

My store for the months of May AND June have seen some drastic hour cutting.

This makes it somewhat challenging to get any kind of work done when I am back in electronics. For the last week or so when I have been closing, the opener has been leaving an hour before I start, and the mid has been leaving a half hour after I get in. Then right after that happens I get swamped with guests because from 6 to 8 is our busiest time period of the evening. It's getting better now we are going into July though.

Overall though I've been picking up any shifts I can. I'm cross trained for Hardlines and a bunch of stuff up on the front end. I do want to get cross trained in guest service though.

I've seen the hours cut for some at our store too, but others have seen a steady number through it all. Our TLs will usually have a steady 40 all year(except March-May, then it's 32). We also have our main Electronics TM and MMB TM get 40 each. I get 30 hours a week for signing(only went under that once since 4th qtr), and actually just picked up an Instocks shift in my rotation to have a steady 36 hours now.

I've been consistently getting 39-40 hours a week since Q4 ended. We're a small dayside team, so we can pretty regularly get the hours we've requested on our availabilities.

My hours are safe as a PA, especially since we don't have enough people to use our allotted hours!!

SF isn't in the same position though... on the newest schedule the highest hours any non-TL on the floor got was 25!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back