Archived Hours where art thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only got one shift again for the newest schedule but at least it’s on a Sunday ;)

Flow team getting 3hr shifts and they "hot potato" the work 3hrs they drop everything and leave. They were told this is what they can hope to get from now on and "Maybe we ask you to stay." They ain't having it.. My phone was blowing up from friends that my store had stuff all over cages still on the floor at 9am cause the team up and left.. and no salesfloor until noon so two TL's are trying to finish the truck with just a electronics and fitting room person.

Yeah this is going to be a great year..

Flow team getting 3hr shifts and they "hot potato" the work 3hrs they drop everything and leave. They were told this is what they can hope to get from now on and "Maybe we ask you to stay." They ain't having it.. My phone was blowing up from friends that my store had stuff all over cages still on the floor at 9am cause the team up and left.. and no salesfloor until noon so two TL's are trying to finish the truck with just a electronics and fitting room person.

Yeah this is going to be a great year..

Something is amiss that's for sure. Our Flow Team is already short handed and they're down to 3hrs/truck as well this week. The LOG ETL and the TL are on the line and out in the store pushing freight too.

The Flow Team has been forced out on time or before time with the promise for more hours later with freight on the floor. This is not going to end well at all for my store. The exodus of the remaining core Flow Team members will happen if this doesn't change soon. :(

Meanwhile the DC's are looking at OT? o_O

This is a bad sign for all of us if we don't see it down stream soon.

Asants I'm on flow and have been for almost 7 years. My store has never asked flow to leave early,work a 3 hr shift or throw us out at 11. We are scheduled a 5 hr shift and I routinely stay and extra 30 or 45. There are many times I would love to leave early, work be damned. It will be there tomorrow, lol

Reading all the posts on here I guess I should be happy I got 12 hours next week and 15 the next next week. I can tell you though if this keeps up for a month or more you will get a lot of turnover out of it. Not everyone does this as a second job or goes to school.

You almost need to be a student or have Spot as your 2nd job because it's pretty damn difficult to live off of $11-15/hr. Have a family to support, Spot, or any retailer, is a poor career choice.

Unless you are one of the very few moving up the corporate ladder, Spot is a paycheck, NOT a career.
Not that you shouldn't put in your best effort every day, you should. However, very few people should look at retail as a career or long term, full time gig.

Spot is my second job (to a good paying FT job with benefits) and I still am disappointed by the decrease in hours. I've resorted to asking my coworkers for shifts. I'm friendly with a number of them who are younger and actually happy to give up shifts because they'd rather hang out with their friends. I've got bills, student loans, debt etc. If I'm not getting enough from spot to accomplish what I want to financially then i'll leave for a different second job. I did also talk to one of our ETLs about getting trained for guest service once they have hours. She seemed really enthusiastic about me doing that. It's actually probably a better fit for me than cashiering. They didn't have it open when I was hired (and actually they even weren't sure about having enough hours for me as a cashier but they made it work) but I think I'd excel at that.

Something is amiss that's for sure. Our Flow Team is already short handed and they're down to 3hrs/truck as well this week. The LOG ETL and the TL are on the line and out in the store pushing freight too.

The Flow Team has been forced out on time or before time with the promise for more hours later with freight on the floor. This is not going to end well at all for my store. The exodus of the remaining core Flow Team members will happen if this doesn't change soon. :(

Meanwhile the DC's are looking at OT? o_O

This is a bad sign for all of us if we don't see it down stream soon.

The problem is ASANTS sadly. Every store is running End to End at different levels, in HQ's mind the flow team should be little to nobody at this point, but stores are still pushing for 15-30 tms each truck and only truck so its a struggle for a company to allocate to each stores individual way of doing things, this is why its getting progressively worse for hours. Our store caved in and went full blown end to end since we couldnt support the flow team plus end to end, now its working out better, job still isnt getting fully completed but atleast now everyone is getting 40.

The problem is ASANTS sadly. Every store is running End to End at different levels, in HQ's mind the flow team should be little to nobody at this point, but stores are still pushing for 15-30 tms each truck and only truck so its a struggle for a company to allocate to each stores individual way of doing things, this is why its getting progressively worse for hours. Our store caved in and went full blown end to end since we couldnt support the flow team plus end to end, now its working out better, job still isnt getting fully completed but atleast now everyone is getting 40.

Yeah what do your backrooms look like, ours that are E2E are a fucking disaster cause they won't backstock.. Market is the only E2E that does backstock but softlines? Yeah that stock room is barfing all over the store, we are short carts there are so many in the back(but they have no time to backstock). It's a joke. The floor is fucking empty cause it is all sitting in carts, they do the break out from the truck the carts get pushed into the stock room they do work the hanging but that is it. 10 carts of reshop on the daily since they don't actually work it to catch up.. And there are not people on the floor to actually work it. And no I am not going to take two hours out of my one 6hr shift for SFS and push reshop. I have time limits to make where you don't.

Today's hours were so bad they didn't even schedule anyone for one area of the front end and we had one cashier practically all day. The day before Valentine's. SCO and the GSA were both on a register all afternoon because there were all of two people on the salesfloor so we didn't even have coverage.

We had barely anyone today either. I was scheduled for SL pricing. There was one point where I spent two hours of my shift not doing pricing. It was backup cashier, take my break, cover electronics break, then push SL reshop. Then after that I did pricing for 15-30 minutes then had to take my lunch. Then cover electronics lunch. Thankfully our hr Tm knows pricing and she was scheduled pricing, too. So I got help. And I ended up staying late so I can get done.

I wonder if it would be ideal to have tm’s take turns backing up so that the same people wouldn’t always back up. Like pog goes up then pricing, then SL, etc.

Walk tomorrow and they want miracles with 2 sf and gsd as the only closing cashier. . .all of which work 4hr close shifts who needs cable with these looney toons each night

Are you still actually doing CA?
We only have them on the weekend and our GSTL kept trying to use the sales floor to hustle carts. That went on until DTL came in asked why frieght wasnt finished. (people were being shoved out and friehjt being done by TLs above)
GSTL was told that either we have cart attendant (and lose cashier hours) or front end is responsible for carts. She was also told that if all the cashiers were busy she was to get her ass out there and get them. Apparently ETL-LOG was using the cart pusher device to retrieve carts (he does it with us on occasion when he's done in br). DTL saw and asked obvious questions.
(STL and ETLs didn't seem to mind about her using salesfloor for carts. They wouldnt do it but they let her)
I sware it this was a dog it would generate energy from the amount of times it chases its tail.

there are CA hours and Cashier hours. They’re taking the CA hours for some other work center. And that’s crap they’re threatening the cashier hours for CA hours.

Our cashiers get 4-5 hour shifts. (Has been this way for a few months now....and may remain like this...although cashiers may get one 8 hour shift a week.
Our consumables TMs used to get 8 hour shifts, but now they also get 4-5. (One TM says that he can't remember when he had a shift long enough to get a lunch!!)
SL mostly get 7-8 hour shifts....but they don't specifically schedule an operator anymore. (5 TMs work there)
Flow gets 4 hour shifts three days a week.
Beauty get regular shifts.....but we only have 2 TMs for beauty.
HL not sure, but probably the same as SL.
Elex. their shifts vary....both 4 hours and 8 hours.
Our CAs have some of the screwiest hours ever.....often no one comes in until after lunch and then there is often a 2 hour break between shifts.

Our store often looks like a tornado went through it.

Our swap board shifts are nonexistent.....and fully half of our store had 20 hours or less for two weeks in a row.

Today we had our closing cashier call off.....our FA and Starbucks had call offs...so at 3:30pm both areas were closed.

I really wish that we would have had some VIPs come in today....sure would have seen some heads roll!!

Oh....it is interesting though that when our STL closes she always has plenty of coverage.

I did hear today that we're supposed to be having a "big visit" soon......bet the hours will magically appear from somewhere to get the store cleaned up!!

Whenever I get guests complaining about the store, depending on the issue, I just flat out explain it's due to a lack of payroll, and I highly encourage them to complain.

Guests complaining is not going to give you more hours. You know what's going to happen? Your DTL is going to get on your STL who's then going to get on the ETLs to write a better schedule. You ETLs will then be on the warpath to 1) find out who's telling all these guest to complain so that he/she can be performanced out and 2) try to make everyone open their availabilities. When that doesn't work they're just going to keep pushing you to do more and more work. In corporate's eyes, if your store doesn't have decent coverage then it's not a payroll problem--it's a scheduling problem.

You would think. Im trained in cashier/softlines/fitting room/hardlines/SFS/presentation/price accuracy/instocks with complete open availability and have still gotten 20ish hours a week.
When was the last time you talked to the ETLs in charge of those departments? Make sure they're aware that you're crossed trained and willing to work in those areas. I just upped a non-cashier TM from 20 to 40 hours once he told me he'd be happy to do cashier shifts. I was also able to give another TM 16 more hours once she told me she was trained and used to be a service desk TM.

Guests complaining is not going to give you more hours. You know what's going to happen? Your DTL is going to get on your STL who's then going to get on the ETLs to write a better schedule. You ETLs will then be on the warpath to 1) find out who's telling all these guest to complain so that he/she can be performanced out and 2) try to make everyone open their availabilities. When that doesn't work they're just going to keep pushing you to do more and more work. In corporate's eyes, if your store doesn't have decent coverage then it's not a payroll problem--it's a scheduling problem.

What a heaping pile of shit.

Guests complaining is not going to give you more hours.

That's the thing though I think people are willing to pay a little more for target (walmart is almost always cheaper then us) because we have better service. Service is directly tied to payroll.

You ETLs will then be on the warpath to 1) find out who's telling all these guest to complain so that he/she can be performanced out

I don't have time for that and you don't either

That's the thing though I think people are willing to pay a little more for target (walmart is almost always cheaper then us) because we have better service. Service is directly tied to payroll.

We must be in different districts then because any time we try to bring up the Payroll problem with our DTL (e.g. forecast doesn't give enough hours for open to close coverage in certain workcenters) he loves to tell us it's our fault for not writing the schedule properly. His ideas of which workcenters should have that coverage and what's forecast are different. My Salesfloor ETLs have it the hardest. I can usually be more flexible and go over hours in 1 department as long as I'm not over in hours when you look at all the departments I oversee.

ASANTS will be the single thing that causes Spot to fail. We are way too big to operate differently when it comes to operational processes and systems.

Target is in dire need of an internal Quality Control System. This would curtail this ASANTS problem and help to rid of us of poor management.

I came to the conclusion the other day while doing some research that we cannot measure what we do behind the scenes due to ASANTS. We have to be more consistent in what we do so the realistic side of running the business can be measured correctly.

Then when it's time to change, it can be implemented in a timely and cost effective way. Until then, we'll struggle internally and become more disjointed operationally. This will eventually cause lower volume stores to close do to the inability to generate enough margin.

The only expense in retail that can be manipulated to maintain profitability is the hours spent to run the operation. That being said, job creep keeps rising while the hours get cut a little deeper year after year. We're literally at the point where we do not have enough physical bodies to get the job done. If this keeps up, we'll be gone. :(

I see what you're saying, and I agree to a point, but at the same time, all stores are not the same, and while every store shouldn't be able to make stuff up on the fly, there are at least operational categories that should be considered when rolling stuff out.

There's a difference in needs between ULV and AAA stores and how they need to operate to be successful, but I don't know if Target really has good data on what that really looks like. Or if they have data and just don't want to look at it.

As has been noted on other threads, when corporate rolls something out as a "pilot" the only response tolerated from the stores is "this is great!" and stores that give negative feedback get listed as "problem stores" so the operational issues continue unchecked. Until the culture, whether it's corporate or within the stores' regional reporting structure changes (not sure where the disconnect actually is, here), Target (in the big) won't have enough information to be able to understand what operational formats it needs. So, maybe E2E works better in certain stores or regions or departments than others, or maybe it will never work at Target, but the stores are stuck trying to manage it as best they can lest they get labeled as "problem" stores for complaining and the blame laid fully on the store TMs.

And there are always going to be stores for whom even a perfect process will fail because their leadership sucks or they can't pay enough to get TMs with more than 2 brain cells to rub together or whatever other unpredictable issues interfere with getting shit done.

I see what you're saying, and I agree to a point, but at the same time, all stores are not the same, and while every store shouldn't be able to make stuff up on the fly, there are at least operational categories that should be considered when rolling stuff out.

There's a difference in needs between ULV and AAA stores and how they need to operate to be successful, but I don't know if Target really has good data on what that really looks like. Or if they have data and just don't want to look at it.

As has been noted on other threads, when corporate rolls something out as a "pilot" the only response tolerated from the stores is "this is great!" and stores that give negative feedback get listed as "problem stores" so the operational issues continue unchecked. Until the culture, whether it's corporate or within the stores' regional reporting structure changes (not sure where the disconnect actually is, here), Target (in the big) won't have enough information to be able to understand what operational formats it needs. So, maybe E2E works better in certain stores or regions or departments than others, or maybe it will never work at Target, but the stores are stuck trying to manage it as best they can lest they get labeled as "problem" stores for complaining and the blame laid fully on the store TMs.

And there are always going to be stores for whom even a perfect process will fail because their leadership sucks or they can't pay enough to get TMs with more than 2 brain cells to rub together or whatever other unpredictable issues interfere with getting shit done.

This is exactly the point of failure I am referring to. We do not have or do not maintain a minimum operations standard company wide (Quality Control System). The only real difference from a 17K/sq ft campus store and AAA store should be the number of team members on sight. All of the operational functions that take place should be exactly the same. What we offer at each location is of course is based on (should be) capacity. However, the functions should be exactly the same in the operations side based on mutual offerings.

Ideally we should be able to take out a team member at one store and drop them in another store without any regards to operational function (backroom, flow, cashier, etc.). It should all be handled the same. Sadly it's not. It would be easy to achieve given how many elements already exist. This what enables us to discuss and solve problems here,

This is basically why programs like E2E cannot be implemented without extreme amount of difficulty. We all do the same thing, but differently.

There's no doubt that Target lacks realistic time data at the operational level. Too much nonconformity in regards to expectations and the lack of credible measuring process within the process itself.

We have a lot of very inefficient stores out there that have enough sales to cover the cost. However, there are ULV and LV stores just cannot generate the margins required to cover the cost. When Target get serious, this will be addressed at this level and move up the company via sales volume.

This is where on going quality control systems are beneficial. They simply keep us all on the same page.

Asants I'm on flow and have been for almost 7 years. My store has never asked flow to leave early,work a 3 hr shift or throw us out at 11. We are scheduled a 5 hr shift and I routinely stay and extra 30 or 45. There are many times I would love to leave early, work be damned. It will be there tomorrow, lol
ok, I am curious. How much does your store do a year? 65million?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back