Hours

Lol it’s not, but ok.

Our location is on headcount for om’s and there are 2 per department…

Lol it is but ok.

What is "headcount for OM's"?

2 per department? So, 1 per key? Meaning like, not very many lol?

Even if I assume you meant 2 per department and key, whats your head count now compared to 5 years ago, if you were even around then? Guarantee it's through the roof with the same 2 OM's in your case evidently. But in my case it's 1 OM per key, not 2.

What we did is roughly: Years ago, 2 OM's per key, maybe (less than) 50% as many TM's as now.
Then we went to a big meeting about cost cutting. 2 parts, one, they brought in temps (which didn't last) part two was, we went from 2 OM per key to 1 OM per key and 1 mid shift (pretty sure all DC's did this, as I've seen mid shift OM's talked about here)
Then a few months ago (I think, my memory is bad) they said something loosely about all keys were gonna have 2 full OM's again. Not sure how official this ever was.
Then we got TL's, and quietly we are down to 1 OM per key for the forseeable future, with no mid shift OM, at least on my keys. All AFAIK. But even if we get a 2nd full time OM (which I've not even heard rumored), we'd need about 4 OM's to even out the OM per TM headcount to what it was 5-10 yrs ago. So this shows TL's role.

So we've gone from two full time OM's per key, to at least double the headcount and 1 full time OM per key+TL's currently.

We do have kind of a swing OM now or I've heard him called an overseer, now, between warehouse and MBP. I imagine he's basically so the OM can take vacation lol. Although TL's could probably take over too. Except they cant grant vacation and whatnot...

And wait, TL's have to have a degree??? Pretty sure ours dont, and OM"s dont even have to have a degree!

Last edited:
Lol it is but ok.

What is "headcount for OM's"?

2 per department? So, 1 per key? Meaning like, not very many lol?

Even if I assume you meant 2 per department and key, whats your head count now compared to 5 years ago, if you were even around then? Guarantee it's through the roof with the same 2 OM's in your case evidently. But in my case it's 1 OM per key, not 2.

What we did is roughly: Years ago, 2 OM's per key, maybe (less than) 50% as many TM's as now.
Then we went to a big meeting about cost cutting. 2 parts, one, they brought in temps (which didn't last) part two was, we went from 2 OM per key to 1 OM per key and 1 mid shift (pretty sure all DC's did this, as I've seen mid shift OM's talked about here)
Then a few months ago (I think, my memory is bad) they said something loosely about all keys were gonna have 2 full OM's again. Not sure how official this ever was.
Then we got TL's, and quietly we are down to 1 OM per key for the forseeable future, with no mid shift OM, at least on my keys. All AFAIK. But even if we get a 2nd full time OM (which I've not even heard rumored), we'd need about 4 OM's to even out the OM per TM headcount to what it was 5-10 yrs ago. So this shows TL's role.

So we've gone from two full time OM's per key, to at least double the headcount and 1 full time OM per key+TL's currently.

We do have kind of a swing OM now or I've heard him called an overseer, now, between warehouse and MBP. I imagine he's basically so the OM can take vacation lol. Although TL's could probably take over too. Except they cant grant vacation and whatnot...

And wait, TL's have to have a degree??? Pretty sure ours dont, and OM"s dont even have to have a degree!
Lol. You can think you are right, but you aren’t. Your whole premise that lww’s ( I believe you me at that rather than tl’s as that is a store term) is not true one bit. Don’t get me wrong, they do a lot but they aren’t taking anyone’s job.

5 years ago we had to gl’s (you know, group leaders) 2 per department per key, just as we do now. They at some point, tried to do a Sun and moon shift for mbp/packing as it’s such a big department but that went away fast.

Our tm headcount is roughly what it was pre covid, as is our om headcount.

Only difference is that one of the 8 on key om’s is a “flex” om that knows all departments.

Last edited:
Our DC hasn't had mandatory scheduled down but mention month ago what it would look like in my time app. The OM count per key is going down here they are not replacing OMs as they leave. B1 and A2 will have 7 and B2 and A1 will have 6. MBP on all keys will only have 1 OM. Then keys going down to 6 OMs it will be MBP and WHS that will have 1 OM.

Lol. You can think you are right, but you aren’t. Your whole premise that lww’s ( I believe you me at that rather than tl’s as that is a store term) is not true one bit. Don’t get me wrong, they do a lot but they aren’t taking anyone’s job.

5 years ago we had to gl’s (you know, group leaders) 2 per department per key, just as we do now. They at some point, tried to do a Sun and moon shift for mbp/packing as it’s such a big department but that went away fast.

Our tm headcount is roughly what it was pre covid, as is our om headcount.

Only difference is that one of the 8 on key om’s is a “flex” om that knows all departments.
So the Lead Warehouse Worker is not a Team Lead? If our number two priority is Teamwork who exactly are they leading? This question is rhetorical as I see what they do and the true answer in most cases is noone. A lot of them are not good leaders. Maybe they need a new name, dedicated messenger has a nice ring to it.

So the Lead Warehouse Worker is not a Team Lead? If our number two priority is Teamwork who exactly are they leading? This question is rhetorical as I see what they do and the true answer in most cases is noone. A lot of them are not good leaders. Maybe they need a new name, dedicated messenger has a nice ring to it.
Not sure what is going on at your dc, but Lww’s at my dc have a lot of responsibilities. They help om’s immensely.

They get a bad rap from the old timers that don’t like change or being told how they’ve been doing things for years is wrong.

Not sure what is going on at your dc, but Lww’s at my dc have a lot of responsibilities. They help om’s immensely.

They get a bad rap from the old timers that don’t like change or being told how they’ve been doing things for years is wrong.
Glorified messengers. I can see where they could be helpful, maybe get out and do a little work from time to time. Set a good example as opposed to standing around chatting with people and taking away from productivity.

It's a bad look to have these people in elevated roles being lazy, even if they have "put in their time".

Glorified messengers. I can see where they could be helpful, maybe get out and do a little work from time to time. Set a good example as opposed to standing around chatting with people and taking away from productivity.

It's a bad look to have these people in elevated roles being lazy, even if they have "put in their time".
Their job is to not do productive work…

My leads would GPM when we were short, but I think they've been restricted from using equipment as of late.
I've seen this. Bummer if they're restricted. Some of them are hard workers and could help set good examples.

Supposedly...

If that's the case, you can/should still set a good example for the rest of operations.
No, not supposedly. They are no longer expected to do 50% productive work. They have a fairly extensive lsw.

If that isn’t getting done. Then it’s on their om. Again, at our building they are an asset to the team as a whole.

No, not supposedly. They are no longer expected to do 50% productive work. They have a fairly extensive lsw.

If that isn’t getting done. Then it’s on their om. Again, at our building they are an asset to the team as a whole.
Yes, I agree that they are an asset. I just think they could set a better example from time to time and stop taking away from others productivity.

Back