Archived How bad is this mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, we have a "buy two video games, get a 50 dollar target giftcard if the total is greater than 50" deal going on. Had two guests ask to price match to Best Buy for four video games to which I willingly obliged (from 60 to 40) and proceeded to give each the 50 dollar giftcard when the computer prompted it. So, how bad is this?

I guess I’m confused. If the price match was legitimate and the computer prompted for the gift cards, what’s the problem?

I guess I’m confused. If the price match was legitimate and the computer prompted for the gift cards, what’s the problem?

Apparently you're not supposed to price match and then hand out that gift card as it falls under a "store coupon". At least that's what I've been told.

You’re not allowed to price match for any item that is part of a gift card promotion so I’d try not to do it again but I really don’t think anyone will notice

You’re not allowed to price match for any item that is part of a gift card promotion so I’d try not to do it again but I really don’t think anyone will notice

So it's not a big deal even if the gift card is >50 dollars?

If they still fulfilled the terms of the deal even after the price match and POS prompted you to give them a GC, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Not your fault that POS is stupid. And there's a good chance that if you didn't give it to them, they'd raise a stink, and GSTL or higher would yes-desk it anyway. So think of it as saving your leaders from having to deal with an annoying and annoyed guest.

Is this just a best practice, or is there a policy we can reference somewhere?

Because you know the guest will ask to see it. :rolleyes:

shop with confidence - https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/shop-with-confidence

Exclusions:
  • Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
  • Pricing due to typographical errors, competitor doorbusters/lightning sales (including Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh Exclusive offers), coupon offers, promotional codes, credit card offers, gift card offers, financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates or mail-in offers.
  • Contract mobile phone devices and the associated plans, optical, product services (warranties, assembly, etc.), clinic and pharmacy purchases and offers, or game reservations.
  • “Marketplace” prices from third party sellers.
  • Cartwheel offers, Target Gift Card offers, Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
  • Items containing alcohol will be subject to state-by-state regulations.
  • Price matches and adjustments to competitors will not be allowed for prices valid from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving. (11/22/2018 – 12/01/2018).

Target doesn't price match if Target is offering a gift car as part of a deal for the product or if the competitor is offering a gift card for the product.

shop with confidence - https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/shop-with-confidence

Exclusions:
  • Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
  • Pricing due to typographical errors, competitor doorbusters/lightning sales (including Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh Exclusive offers), coupon offers, promotional codes, credit card offers, gift card offers, financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates or mail-in offers.
  • Contract mobile phone devices and the associated plans, optical, product services (warranties, assembly, etc.), clinic and pharmacy purchases and offers, or game reservations.
  • Cartwheel offers, Target Gift Card offers, Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
  • Price matches and adjustments to competitors will not be allowed for prices valid from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving. (11/22/2018 – 12/01/2018).

Target doesn't price match if Target is offering a gift car as part of a deal for the product or if the competitor is offering a gift card for the product.

1544725827624.png

Exclusions:

That actually means if Best Buy has a gift card offer on an item we won't match that free gift card.
The part you should've bolded is:

Exclusions:

Not that big of a deal. Next time call an ETL or GSTL to confirm. Nobody will notice this time or care.

Reactions: Dog
Lol, well alright then. Here's the kicker though, the second time I was aware of the rules, but didn't know how to bypass it in the system at the time. Had a sizeable line building up and kind of just let it go because we needed to get to the guests who had been waiting so we could start cleaning up around the service desk (reshop was building up heavy at the time and it was starting to become hard to walk around). Figured out not too long afterwards that I should have just scanned each game as it's own transaction, though felt like the guest might find that suspicious, anyway. That being said, figured it out for next time, but is that grounds for firing? Certainly wasn't very bright.

Hope I don't get fired over this :rolleyes:

Still need Spot in my life. Such a love hate relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back