Archived How do you pick up shifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I as a flow team member get cross trained and pick up shifts for hardlines or electronics in closing shifts?

I ask because I start at 4am and i believe there's a thing or something that don't allow you to work if the gap between shifts is 8 hours, is this correct?

Are you looking to work more than 12 hours in a shift? Ask about the 8 hour buffer for those that Clopen. I think a buffer applies if you work over 12 hours in a single shift.

I had TMs that worked overnight flow and dayside soft lines then back to flow the next night. It was only a few TMs. They would go home after flow, sleep a few hours, then come back to close then switch to flow sometimes.

Short answer: yes you can cross train and should be encouraged to do so. Working long days is at the discretion of your leadership.

Our flow starts at 4am and we leave 8am or 9pm, so i only work 4 or 5 hours in a single shifft. Hardlines i believe they start 4pm or 5pm in the afternoon.

So basically you're telling me i could Open when I'm done with flow at 8AM or 9 AM?

Last edited:
You could either continue working after you're done with flow or go home, nap, then come back in the evening for a closing shift. I've seen TLs, TMs, and ETLs do the dreaded Clopen ( leave at 12am or 1am and return at 7 am).

I had SF TMs take Flow shifts all the time. No reason you can't take SF shifts if you're trained.

@Mhugh220

I was going to ask you how does cross training work? I'm very confused, my ETL-LOG approved me to do it whenever I want, but went to talk to ETL-HR she says that right now there's no positions for Sales Floor (Hardlines/Electronics)???? there's got to be positions open to do this? I mean Flow will remain my main duty work center, but I was thinking working Sales maybe 2-3 times a week. also I thought I was going to pick shifts like the swap thing, so I really don't know how the hell this is all about?

No - a position doesn't have to be open and becoming more global benefits both the store and the TM. So that's a weird response from HR. It doesn't take long to train for SF. You could have your own ETL train you, ask another ETL, or another TL if you can get some hours. Or sign up for a swap shift and have your ETL approve it.

Cross training doesn't have to be that formal. They should be able to train you in any work center of you're willing to learn.

Most of my cashiers learned SF by being thrown out to the floor whenever we had a slowdown.
They learned how to zone, face shelved items, put strays away (no PDA? just find the nearest scanner).
After enough times, they would start learning how to pick up calls & eventually got to pick up shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back