Archived How do you respond to the people who want your help off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have that happen all the time when we had guys in fixing a register. Not in red and khaki and parts all over the conveyor - "Are you open".

Of course, would you like a redcard?

That's surely the appropriate response, and fastest way to get them to choose another lane, right?

It doesn't happen often because I'm on flow and am rarely in the store for more than a few minutes after clocking out, but guests will occasionally stop me and ask questions. If that happens, I'll flag down or holler for someone on the clock. I'm pleasant about it and have experienced no unpleasantness in return.

I worked at Target years ago and left. For months after whenever I shopped any Target people asked me to help them, must be a body language thing. I'll probably be helping people find stuff in pergatory at this rate.

It's like that 'vibe' thing. It sticks to you. Having worked retail at several places in my long, jaded history, it must. I've been literally just shopping at some big store and a customer will ask me where to find something and all that I can say is, "I don't work here." Of course, if I know the store and know where to find it, I'll tell them (and that has happened several times). How you do you wash it off? ;)

I put myself in their shoes. They don't know I'm off the clock. If it's a simple question, I answer it quickly. If it isn't, I explain I'm off the clock and apologize with a smile.

With the negativity we deal with everyday, I try not to add to it with guests.

Not really an "off the clock" question, but yesterday, I was helping out at a different store and a guest asks me where something was located as I'm walking to the pharmacy. Of course, since it's a SuperT that I'm not familiar with, I have no clue, so I explain the situation & (fortunately) she's really nice about it. I see another TM & ask him. HE'S ALSO not from that store & has no idea either, so we are ALL laughing at that point. We go to the pharmacy and ask the ETL-Rx, who also has no clue. Fortunately, there was a HL-TM walking by who was able to help the guest~lol!

I was shopping before work (aka a few minutes ago) and a lady asked me for help

I had a gift box covering my chest to hide the target logo and told her I'm not working rn but she didn't seem to hear and so I said I don't work here

I sure hope she doesn't come to my lane lmao

I was off today, and I stopped by to grab a couple of things and to see if my swap shift got approved so I was heading over to TSC. One of our salesfloor TM's had just clocked out (I assume for his meal) and was being asked by a guest where a product is. He saw me, recognized me in plain clothes, and said to the guest "That guy there works here, I'm off the clock so I can't help you" and my mind just ceases all function. Like... just wat. If you can't help the guest while you're wearing red and khaki, what makes you think it's okay to pawn off the guest to the guy who is not even on the schedule and is in jeans and a ratty t-shirt. The guest gave the guy a weird look and said never mind.

I was literally unlocking my car today & a Rx guest recognized me. She says, "Hey! You work in the pharmacy right? Do you know if my doctor called in my prescription?" Ummm....yeah they did. "Do
You know how much it is?" Sorry, I don't. "Not even a ballpark?" NO!!! I processed over 200 Rxs before 1 today. I have no flipping clue how much ONE Rxs was!!!!

I remember when I was still about a month into working at spot. I had a black jacket and scarf on and I was looking at some clothes after my shift when someone stopped me and asked me for help. Helloooo are you blindddddd? You can clearly see I'm not working right now. They just needed to know where something was after I said I was off the clock so I told them where to find it. I'll point a guest to where the item will be if I know. Or I'll flag another on the clock TM down to help.

giphy.gif

I had a softlines TM ask for my help while I was off the clock, in my jacket, talking on my cellphone. I told her I was off my shift she said "oops," and continued to walk past the isle, but then returned a second later and asked where some items were located. I may have swatted at a fly using my pointer finger and it happened to be in the direction of the inquired items. ;)

I was shopping in dry market after work. A guest comes around the corner into the aisle where I am and also another male guest. She remarks that we are both wearing red but don't work there. I said I do work here but am off the clock. She asked if I knew where a certain item was, I gave her the aisle number and she thanked me profusely. I don't mind at all.

If I have to pick up more than a few items after work, I'll bring a different color sweater and change before shopping. Otherwise, I'll just put on my jacket and zip it up so that the red isn't showing.

Today a guest caught me leaving the offices through an employees only door while I was off the clock and out of uniform (blue jeans, green sweater, heavy brown coat and a black beanie...decidedly not looking like an employee). I pretended I didn't hear him and kept moving. If there were any redshirts in the area I would have flagged one down, but I saw nobody.

I usually tell them "I'm off the clock but if you have a quick question I'll try to answer it". Usually they just want to know where something is and that's fine but I'm not going to go show them where it is or check in the back if we have it. If there is a TM on the clock in the area then I point the guest in their direction. But like everyone here mentioned I take off my name tag and wear a jacket or sweater to cover the red... even when it's hot. ><

I had no problem pointing out where to go or saying oh that's in aisle (blank). I always very politely said oh I am not on the clock now but there should be a worker over there who can help you.

I try to be polite and help them as best as I could, but if someone's being testy with me I'll say "I'm not being paid right now, I would help you if I were."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back