Archived How low can you go? Store's morale thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morale at our store dropped back down to the bottom now that aour happy stl is gone. The new one isnt around much so the senior tls are running amuck during vacations and ETL hr when she gets LOD spends way too much time on radio. However, she's actually better now than before.

Micromanaging is all about control and correct conditions. The people want control about everything related to their area. I dont have a deli at my store so I have no clue why a silver cart is more important than a regular one. However, I have worked a t grocery store and unless its open and bloody its shouldnt matter.

There's really no difference, I guess other than it's a space thing. They're a little smaller and easier to manage than just a regular, big cart.

A guaranteed way to boost morale at your store is go up to TMs who gave genuine grievances or complaints and are upset and just smile at them and give them a high five. Works every time just ask my ETL-GE

After being here for almost a year, things have just gotten considerably worse. Everyone knows it and just shrugs it off instead of trying to change or make it better. I’m an optimistic person but I find myself getting a bad attitude some days and it really hurts to see that truly no one cares. Everyone does whatever they want because there are virtually zero repercussions. Our management is hardly ever on the floor so we’re just slow dancing in a burning room.

The communication is HORRIBLE. Why go directly to the person when you can go through two or three people that just ends up getting lost in translation, and then when the new LOD takes over they are confused as to why you were doing what you were doing. We have far too many tasks to accomplish with not near enough people.

We are supposed to be getting a minimum of 420 hours in SL, yet we are stuck with MAYBE 250. POG, pricing, and flow are “dead” but everyone is still doing their same jobs under a different guise. Why say you’re killing the teams and giving us more hours? And I’m not saying those people should’ve been laid off (at all) but they should be transitioned into softlines where we need people... instead we make the bulk of our store’s sales and get less than 1/3 of the hours we need. It’s infuriating.

I do have to applaud my store, though. It seems like my situation is a lot better, and communication is high for the most part, a lot of times people do communicate call ins to my team but seems like every time I call in saying I'm gonna be late, no one lets my team know. I've only had to do that twice, once before Christmas, and just yesterday.

My ETLs are pretty okay. Only exception being my Sr. ETL-Food, she's the micromanage-y one and drops 300 DPCI pulls right after freight when everyone needs there breaks still and we have zone/audit to do still. I've always posted that my store management is pretty good, we have some new Sr. TLs and ETLs in the store now and they're not even half bad. What's even better is our new Sr. TL Hardlines, ETL-GE, and ETL-Remodel are all internal hires who have worked ETL or Team Leader before.

Negative talk at Spot will get you a coaching when overheard by the right/wrong people.
This.
An ETL left a coaching open on a workstation in the TL office with details about a TM overheard complaining about work conditions.
Don't know if it was deliberate (as a warning) or an oversight but nothing happened to the ETL.

The PR stunt of higher starting wage, and it is a stunt is a huge fail. If I hear one more ETL tell me to write up team members for not getting tasks done because they now make more money I am going to scream. I don't care if the starting wage is $50 bucks an hour, 5 people cannot complete a truck by themselves.
Morale is in the toilet. Here is a simple fix. Treat the employees ( yes employees) with respect. That means coaching for valid reasons. Coaching for attendance consistently. Reward the job done not how much someone kisses your ass. Stop weeding out older team members. Yes the press is talking about Starbucks getting rid of older people, Target could give lessons on it. Hire leaders that know how to lead, not leaders that look and act like the latest version of Barbie and Ken. People don't go into Target for 1 on 1 service. They go to get a good deal, a fully stocked store, a clean store, no pallets in the aisles and fast checkout. What they are getting right now? Badgering employees (what are you looking for? This matches that sweater etc) and obstacle course around pallets and flats, 2 check lanes open with a GSTL screaming for backups, tubs of merchandise to be stocked but the person suppose to be working them is one of the people on the check lane. Get your head out of your ass Target. Hire good people, pay them a fair wage, give them the hours you promised, staff the stores, treat the team with respect and give us someone to lead us who values the people that work for them.
I would love someone to do a hidden camera expose on this smoke and mirrors company

Do go on! I'm curious to hear how you'd do that.

I mean, for starters I don’t get paid to fix the store but I have a good attitude toward my team/store and do all that I can to not put more work on others but even I know that’s not enough to cure terrible management.

A guaranteed way to boost morale at your store is go up to TMs who gave genuine grievances or complaints and are upset and just smile at them and give them a high five. Works every time just ask my ETL-GE
Your a dog tho, all I have to do is come home, and suddenly it's the happiest day anyone had, ever, everyday.

Last edited:
Sooooo when are we going to start a betting pool for disgruntled TMs who end up shooting up their stores? My bet is New Jersey.
. Their better pool, has worked for them for years.... But, flexible people who can do anything, but, have that same damn face you have seen for the last 5 years... Or was it 15? Couldn't possibly reform their ways. This is ironic, because e2e, depends on these same team members, shutting up, and taking it end 2 end, which I am beginning to suspect might be where Target got this from

The PR stunt of higher starting wage, and it is a stunt is a huge fail. If I hear one more ETL tell me to write up team members for not getting tasks done because they now make more money I am going to scream. I don't care if the starting wage is $50 bucks an hour, 5 people cannot complete a truck by themselves.
Morale is in the toilet. Here is a simple fix. Treat the employees ( yes employees) with respect. That means coaching for valid reasons. Coaching for attendance consistently. Reward the job done not how much someone kisses your ass. Stop weeding out older team members. Yes the press is talking about Starbucks getting rid of older people, Target could give lessons on it. Hire leaders that know how to lead, not leaders that look and act like the latest version of Barbie and Ken. People don't go into Target for 1 on 1 service. They go to get a good deal, a fully stocked store, a clean store, no pallets in the aisles and fast checkout. What they are getting right now? Badgering employees (what are you looking for? This matches that sweater etc) and obstacle course around pallets and flats, 2 check lanes open with a GSTL screaming for backups, tubs of merchandise to be stocked but the person suppose to be working them is one of the people on the check lane. Get your head out of your ass Target. Hire good people, pay them a fair wage, give them the hours you promised, staff the stores, treat the team with respect and give us someone to lead us who values the people that work for them.
I would love someone to do a hidden camera expose on this smoke and mirrors company
This reminds me... My plano team and i, are moving 6am, soon, even now, at 4am. I joke with them about how our entry into selling should just be "I am sorry for the mess", rather than cihyfs. I say the former, multiple times a day.

This reminds me... My plano team and i, are moving 6am, soon, even now, at 4am. I joke with them about how our entry into selling should just be "I am sorry for the mess", rather than cihyfs. I say the former, multiple times a day.
My running joke this week is my faithful "can i try to help you find something" guest mentions something in transition "I'm not sure, let's find out together"

Vml got 40hrs to set hearth and vas. I get 24 to sign the entire fucking department. She trash talks and whines from the moment she gets out of her car til she's back in it. She's a new mom, her power is gonna get shut off for nonpayment and she's more worried about ordering pizza and buying a cute onsie. How the fuck can't she afford to live with her outdated salary. She makes as much as my 15yr srtl does, and she never has to actually do her job.

I've maintained that this was the point of Target slashing hours so drastically this year
My running joke this week is my faithful "can i try to help you find something" guest mentions something in transition "I'm not sure, let's find out together"

Vml got 40hrs to set hearth and vas. I get 24 to sign the entire fucking department. She trash talks and whines from the moment she gets out of her car til she's back in it. She's a new mom, her power is gonna get shut off for nonpayment and she's more worried about ordering pizza and buying a cute onsie. How the fuck can't she afford to live with her outdated salary. She makes as much as my 15yr srtl does, and she never has to actually do her job.
I still do all the lighting, major signing, (small signing is never done.). This is for when my VML quits, or is fired, or incarcerated for that one boy in hardlines, or I have prior experience as well as a BA, 6 years of working for you, and getting recognized by group as a PA for visually merchandising PFresh (Steritech friendly) before that was even a term in the target language.

Last edited:
It’s pretty bad, considering pretty much all of the team members are openly “joking” about suicide. Even some of the more positive TMs have just given up, the whole new system ain’t working and the majority of us are just tired of playing catch up one the truck from a few days ago.

Target? Making me feel suicidal???

pgFM7Zg.gif

It’s pretty bad, considering pretty much all of the team members are openly “joking” about suicide. Even some of the more positive TMs have just given up, the whole new system ain’t working and the majority of us are just tired of playing catch up one the truck from a few days ago.
Are you our store?

Ill never understand how a VML gets paid so much .... I dont see what they do that is so special compared to other positions and departments

We are always playing catch up. Today there were still 7 uboats on the line from the flow truck yesterday, and yesterday there were 2 freezer pallets from the night before. It ALWAYS rolls into the next day to the point where we dont even do PULLS half the time because we have to take care of the stupid truck push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back