Archived How many complaints to get an ETL fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreturnable

Receiving/Reverse Logistics
My store has the worst ETL-LOG anyone I've worked with has seen. I don't mean to go into details because this is not a rant, but she treats the entire team, all the team leads, and the other ETLs with huge amounts of disrespect. She lies, she rants, she raves, she puts people into dangerous situations all the time, and every day that she controls the truck unload she creates absolute chaos. Every single team member I have talked to has either talked with the ETL-HR, the STL, or called the corporate hotline to complain; it's been 9 months with her in the store, complaints started slowly but now it's a steam-roll with everyone telling their friend to please complain.

How much complaining does it take to remove an ETL, is it possible? If so, how long does it take and is there anything that helps?

It's going to depend on the nature of the complaints (safety is a biggie, disrespect not much), who makes them (TLs and other ETLs are really going to have the best results), and how long the results keep coming.
Also how her numbers look (if she's consistently green, it's going to be a lot tougher).
Who you talk to and how you go about it will make a difference as well.
Talking to HR and your STL may work but it depends and 9 times out of 10 probably won't get you anywhere unless it's something seriously egregious.
Calling the Hotline is only going to work for things like safety issues or insults that are racist.

Keep in mind that things might be going on behind the scene that you don't know about.
Spot tends to move at a glacial pace on stuff like this and they will have to find reasons to let her go, not just that she's mean.

I will not post the specifics because If I do and someone from Corp...or heaven forbid my store reads it...they will know that tgtguy is from store number.... I will say this. We had a etl log get fired a couple years ago( he was not stealing ) he was fired after a team member called the hotline( it was not any kinf od sexual harassment). We came in to work, they said .....is no longer with the company took a couple days to figure out what happened. We also had a stl, who was beyond terrible. people called the hotline on her pretty much everyday...eventually they moved her from out store... to a store in another district. I will add that I never and I do mean never call the hotline out o f spite, anger or wanting to get someone fired. I call the hotline when I feel that things are way out of hand and I know that I cant talk to my stores leadership. So, if I do call the hotline there is a legitimate reason to do so. If you feel there is a legitimate issue...call and call everyday...encourage others to call as well.

I know of a ETL-LOG that was fired due to Safety. The APL received a TON of safety complaints so he watched the cameras for the truck unload and this dude was NUTS. He was @#*!ing throwing stuff and putting people in unsafe positions. One call to the hotline by that APL made that LOG disappear. Now as a Target Leader I encourage everyone to call the Hotline, but ONLY as a last resort. I would advise talking to a leader in the building before making that call. It means more if a TL and up calls the line.

I've seen one fellow ETL fired. Another one was, like me, an ETL-HL. He was enroute to being performanced out. I later found out he was doing EVERYTHING they asked him to do. They just wanted him out and worked the system to get rid of him. He quit before they could fire him - like I did. I left on my own terms and gave my Sr. Management a scathing exit review. When your ETL-Ops just ups and quits without any warning, something is wrong!

The ETL that was fired was a Loggie. They had no choice but to can him when, in front of lots of witnesses, grabbed the throat of, and tried to choke, a TL. Both were instantly put on administrative leave and fired within a week.

Be careful with your complaints. I have seen tms get fired or skipped over for promotion after targeting an ETL or STL. Make sure that you are acting like a grown up with a legitimate complaint and make sure that your behavior, attitude, work performance is on point. Then you will be taken more seriously when you complain. Also, make sure you are not a habitual complainer.

I would suggest, if you haven't already requesting to sit down and talk with them behind doors... If Target actually believes in Leadership, they should actually view that as courageous and forthright (LOL). If they don't you are in the wrong place.

I have my own subtle way of complaining, my direct head above me (ETL-SF, I am a PA in Market) told me to skip the cleaning routines in market for our close tonight, even though our coolers were a HOT mess. He wanted me to concentrate on the zone as BTS just got over and we legit got wrecked.

I knew I would be able to hand over a green zone, so i went about cleaning our coolers anyway, hard. I am looked at to be on the bench for TL, so if he approached me I would have told him that part of Leadership is doing the right thing (especially, infront of other TMs) even if you are told otherwise, which probably would have either made him laugh, or piss him off, but I knew I was right and there's absolutely no way he could tell me I am wrong.

He didn't say shit and said awesome job. Quiet complaint served.

Last edited:
I know of a ETL-LOG that was fired due to Safety. The APL received a TON of safety complaints so he watched the cameras for the truck unload and this dude was NUTS. He was @#*!ing throwing stuff and putting people in unsafe positions. One call to the hotline by that APL made that LOG disappear. Now as a Target Leader I encourage everyone to call the Hotline, but ONLY as a last resort. I would advise talking to a leader in the building before making that call. It means more if a TL and up calls the line.
If someone calls the hotline and doesn't give their name...they are not going to know whether they are a Tl or not

I would suggest, if you haven't already requesting to sit down and talk with them behind doors... If Target actually believes in Leadership, they should actually view that as courageous and forthright (LOL). If they don't you are in the wrong place.
Would be nice if it actually worked that way :)

This pretty much sums up what you should do.

Dl8bEzH.png

If someone calls the hotline and doesn't give their name...they are not going to know whether they are a Tl or not

I think they can say they're an anonymous TL.

I think they can say they're an anonymous TL.
I don't see why it matters if you are a TL or not...if you are c alling the hotline with a legitimate concern...it should simply matter than you are a team member period. Just because you are a TL doesn't mean you are more likely to be honest....or your view point matters more. This is one of the major issues with Spot...workplace politics.

You have a snowballs change in hell unless that etl is running a red department and even that gets chancy. Basically the gap between non-exempt workers and etl is massive and it's gonna take something serious to bridge that gap.

I was fired today because of a safety related issue. I complained last week. The same stuff happened today. I actually "yelled" at the ETL Log to stop throwing boxes off the line. There was a HUGE pile and it was a hazard. I am a fairly new team member and could see the danger in what she was doing. Does anyone else's store throw boxes onto the floor if a cart is not available?

I was fired today because of a safety related issue. I complained last week. The same stuff happened today. I actually "yelled" at the ETL Log to stop throwing boxes off the line. There was a HUGE pile and it was a hazard. I am a fairly new team member and could see the danger in what she was doing. Does anyone else's store throw boxes onto the floor if a cart is not available?
You need to talk to hr, without delay.

You need to talk to hr, without delay.

But if he is no longer an employee the chance of Target doing anything is a lot lower than it was before he got fired.

bloody 'ell that sounds depressing as all get out. Give it a shot talk to HR, Call the Integrity hot line, thou the probably won't do much as you've already been fired, talk to your states labor board.

I have seen an ETL blatantly get away with an issue for YEARS that would have gotten a TM fired on the spot. You basically have to involve a lawyer to force their hand and you can kiss your job goodbye as well. No, it's not direct retaliation but suddenly your performance just isn't up to par anymore.

Last edited:
I have seen an ETL blatantly get away with an issue for YEARS that would have gotten a TM fired on the spot. You basically have to involve a lawyer to force their hand and you can kiss your job goodbye as well. No, it's not direct retaliation but suddenly your performance just isn't up to par anymore.
But if he is no longer an employee the chance of Target doing anything is a lot lower than it was before he got fired.

bloody 'ell that sounds depressing as all get out. Give it a shot talk to HR, Call the Integrity hot line, thou the probably won't do much as you've already been fired, talk to your states labor board.
How would they know you arent there anymore? And its true that they will put a black mark on performance if they just dont like you. You have to be a major butt licker to an etl you fear to stay on.

I would imagine it is VERY difficult to get an ETL fired. I came very close to filing a complaint once but after I cooled down I decided not to because I am scared if nothing is done than I will have a crazy ETL who will remember it against me. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back