Archived How to become a team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I spoke to the ETL and my TL about it. I got the leadership expectations sheet, along with the leadership definitions and routines guide. My TL said I could shadow her for a day to see if I really want to be a TL.

As I understand it, it would be for the bench.

I was also offered the opportunity to cross train in Price accuracy/price change.
Do it, please.

Step 1

index.php

I'm past the kool aid. My Bachelor's degree isn't working for me and I largely enjoy what I do at Target, so I figure I can try to climb the ladder. :p

But yes, I'll take up my TL on the shadowing offer.

I'm past the kool aid. My Bachelor's degree isn't working for me and I largely enjoy what I do at Target, so I figure I can try to climb the ladder. :p

But yes, I'll take up my TL on the shadowing offer.

Well giving the appearance that you are into the kool aid will help in getting the job.
As others have said, being as global as possible will make a big difference.
Fit that word into as many sentences as you can, so that they know you care about how the store runs from one end to the other.
Supposedly while a TL is loyal to their section they work with the others to make sure the store runs smoothly with all the departments integrated like clock gears.
This is rarely the case, most TLs tend to stake out their areas like dogs pissing in the corners but you really don't want to get into that.

Indicate how well you multi-task and meet deadlines even with constant interruptions.

Oh yeah, I have a brilliant answer to some interview question that may or may not exist consisting of "Everything we do is to help our guests. Even if we're not helping a guest directly, we are still helping them in some other way, whether it be zoning to help guests find the products they need, or doing pulls to make sure the store is well stocked with what guests want. A team leader takes that to the next level and empowers team members to make it right for the guest so they have an amazing experience and will want to come back. This drives guest loyalty and profitability for our store."

At least at my store "make it right" and "amazing" are phrases that get thrown around alot.

I'm not that global, though I'm trained in the 3 biggest workcenters. I'm sales floor, cashier, and backroom trained but I don't know anything about the service desk, or planograms. If I can have my cake and eat it too (becoming a TL while learning price accuracy/change), that would be great.

At least at my store "make it right" and "amazing" are phrases that get thrown around alot.

My STL is big on those buzzwords. A TM will be "asked" to go to 4 if they give a shoutout to a TM for great anything, example guest service. If they say "Shoutout to John Doe for great guest service in Market," they will be talked to and "asked" to use "amazing" instead of great.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Just WTF does the STL hope to accomplish with that kind of useless word policing?

The STL calls it "maintaining a brand image" because "the guests hear the walkie too" and forces the ETLs to do the same thing. I call it "acting like a middle school principal." Officially, a TM was just CCA'd (not coached, CCA'd because screw people I guess) last week for "projecting a negative shopping experience." Unofficially, it's because he used "customer" and anything but amazing, vibe, and be bold just a bit too much for their comfort. I like my store and the people I work with, but God damn are there some stupid policies.

The STL calls it "maintaining a brand image" because "the guests hear the walkie too" and forces the ETLs to do the same thing. I call it "acting like a middle school principal." Officially, a TM was just CCA'd (not coached, CCA'd because screw people I guess) last week for "projecting a negative shopping experience." Unofficially, it's because he used "customer" and anything but amazing, vibe, and be bold just a bit too much for their comfort. I like my store and the people I work with, but God damn are there some stupid policies.

I know a couple of middle school principals and they would be as appalled as I am at what you're having to deal with.
They wouldn't never dream of treating even their most annoying kids like that.
If your STL is so worried about 'brand image', how about they make sure all the TMs have the tools and time they need to complete their jobs completely and accurately.
Or maybe that they had regular schedules and a living wage so that they don't have to decide if they can pay the electric bill or eat this week.
Worry a little less about which frelling words to use and try to make them sincere so the people hearing them really feel that you actually care about you are saying instead of just saying what you are told to say.
How about just caring enough about your damned people to treat them like adults for damned sake. /off rant

Sorry, got a little carried away.

Seems overly strict. The only way that seems legit would be if this TM kept saying customer instead of guest over a long time frame (months?) despite being repeatedly told by leadership that he should be using the term guest.

I've been back with Target for a year now and just the other day I let the word "customer" slip out of my mouth. Oh my, coaching time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back