Archived How to become full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do long have you been at target and how long did it take before you were scheduled full time?
I would love to get 32-40 hours a week, I'm available all day everyday but I only get scheduled between 17-24 Hours a week

How many workcenters are you trained in? Because if you're just trained in one area there's only so many hours that has available. You'll need two or three; I know flow, instocks and signing and with the holidays winding down that gets me ~30 a week. Also keep in mind that they're going to be reducing hours now.

Few positions at target really will give you guaranteed hours below TL level. Receiving/reverse logistics is the only one that I know of that on a store to store basis you get 40 every week.

If you do a good job and work hard the hours seem to come (like it or not!). I am still looking for a career job and would rather not have so many hours, but I don't remember how to slack off or cut corners at work, even Target.

Even though I was seasonal until recently, my hours seem to come from all different cost centers... Ad set, hardlines, consumables, even a couple of surprise cashier shifts on the schedule that was just posted.

My hours actually seem to be up starting mid-January. I guess there are less students and seasonal TMs so more hours for the rest of us.

Being trained for several workcenters is the first thing to try for. Plano and pricing may get you close to full time hours, and usually pretty regular hours, for much of the year.

I'm only trained in carts cashiering and signing, but il see of I can get trained in more, thanks! Il also be signing up for tons of shifts.

Be as global as you can; carts, cashiering & signing is a good start for such a short time frame. Having an open avail helps a lot. Keep a change of red & khaki in your car (esp on days off) & your cell phone on.
Answer/return their calls even if you can't work that day; you'll get a good reputation regardless.
Any time you're asked if you "know how to do xyz" (but you don't), say "No, but I've always wanted to learn."
Be Fast, Fun & Friendly; smile 'til it hurts.

I don't always get scheduled 32 or more hours, but Ivan always get above 32 by using the swap board with never being scheduled outside the front end.

Since last June when I officially transferred to the early morning backroom team (from flow) I have gotten 38.5 to 40 hours every single week. There are four early morning backroom team members that get these hours every week of the year.

Ask to be cross trained, sales floor, flow, and electronics that way you can have a wider range of picking up shifts. Also scanne the store to have a more sense of what you could be trained in for. And ask the individuals in charge of certain departments if they need anyone to stay a couple of extra hours.

To become full time as a team member you have to past your initial 90 days probation period. Upon completing it you must have over 1000 hours completed and averaging over 32 hours a week with minimum having full openings on weekends. Your availability should at least have six days open.

Getting 32 hours average a week year is probably the hardest part to maintaining full time status.

Here are some suggestions to follow to getting close to the 32 hours average.

1. Many people have suggested cross train in many areas as possible.
2. Open up availability to seven days a week (Not really practical).
3. Look for areas of the store that are really short handed and in demand (Position may vary by store).
4. Look for areas of the store that have high turnover and short on people. (If you can survive the position it may lead to more hours).
5. Have cross training in morning, afternoon, and overnight positions along with open availability may lead to more hours.
6. Use swap board to add hours for position you are qualified for (Make sure you do not go over 40 hours unless approved by management).
7. If the store calls you in to cover for someones call out, come to work as soon as possible but be sure to notify management if you are going to overtime before you come.
8. Working in a store that is understaffed naturally increase your chance for more hours.
9. Being in good terms with the management team (TL, ETL, STL) may help lead to more hours.
10. Getting assigned closing shifts lead to more hours than openers and middle shifts.
11. Being reliable in not hitting compliance will lead to more hours along with great in your primary work center.
12. Being reliable, on time and not calling out may lead to more hours.

A brief history of my past target experience.

At one point when I worked in target my work center was in so demand and short handed (Cart Attendant). This happened due to high turnover rate in my workcenter. I worked 19 consecutive days without being off. The stretch consisted off working 3 straight weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) all closing shifts and only cart attendant closing during the stretch of time. In a two week period I worked 64 hours and 55 hours more than my ETLs and STL for those weeks. I had a day when I started 08:00AM and end at 11:30PM. Next day I worked 09:00AM and ended at 11:30PM. I had to take two unpaid breaks 45 minutes in a six hour state for both consecutive days. The store called me in for the day I had off for the two weeks in which I came in to work. During this month I worked 26 out of 30 days for the month. Got 28 hours of overtime for the month.

I hope this response helps.

Last edited:
I think as of 2015 full time as per Obama care is 29.5 hours (the hours required for a company to provide health ins.) Could be wrong.

As I recall, in the years I have worked for target, hours are cut in all departments in January and sometimes in February, at least where I work.

I disagree that closing shifts are the way to get more hours. I can't be asked to stay late when closing. Mid shifts or open shifts however often result in 10-14 hour shifts when a closer calls off.

Again, I say - like many others...

logoEMB.png

Don't be one!

Well everyone in my store is told that if they crosstrain they can get more hours, But i'm crosstrained almost everywhere and I get 40hours in the same department every week (Dairy/frozen) when other people get 4 hours a week, so It kinda depends on how hard you work in my opinion.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'm gonna see if I can get trained in flow. I ALWAYS see flow shifts on the swap board and nobody signs them. Since I'm always closing cart attendant I can do flow in the morning and come back for carts at night.

Since I'm always closing cart attendant I can do flow in the morning and come back for carts at night.

Depending on how early your flow team starts, you may not want to do that. You need to make sure you get enough sleep.

You've probably seen a lot of flow shifts back in December and before. January thru March-ish flow hours are cut too. I know there are very few if any flow shifts on our board now.

It's usually 4-8
But I'd have all day to sleep till 7pm

My store wouldn't allow you to pick up a 4am shift after closing the night before.
While my store scheduled me for that lst weekend. Off at midnight, back at 4am.

Even if allowed, I wouldn't do that if it can be avoided.

It's usually 4-8
But I'd have all day to sleep till 7pm
I, uh, well. More power to you if you think you can pull it off. I myself have experienced what happens when I mess with my sleep like that and it isn't pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back