Archived How to use a radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what are the the differnt channels for
And how do you respond and ask for people without sounding stupid
My store is making all of flow have walkies now and im already a nervous person when talking to people

My store is making all of flow have walkies now and im already a nervous person when talking to people

I was nervous too when I first started, You'll end up finding yourself holding back from cracking jokes on the walkie in the end. Sometimes I can't hold back however.

Last edited:
I was nervous too when I had to start carrying a walkie. Answering calls was no problem, but god help me if i needed to call someone else on it :oops:

The next time you have one, just listen to it. You'll hear how everyone else uses it, how they respond, and how your store uses them. If you're on flow more likely than not it's going to be your TL or ETL asking how you guys are doing with push, or to let you know what to do next.

And just keep it to the point, question and answer. Helps settle nerves since you only need to keep it simple. Sometimes a simple "copy" is all you need.

Just keep it short and sweet over the radio. Remember to start speaking a second or two after you press "talk" so that you don't cut yourself off. We get a lot of "-k you"s and missed names at work here because people don't wait.

Flow's walkie use at my store is 90% the flow-TL asking for status updates on the wave and telling people to take empty carts up front or clock out before they hit compliance.

Channel 1 - call boxes & fast chat
Channel 2 - backroom
Channel 3 or 4 - long conversations or questions.
Channel 6 - give that walkie to your lod or ap, without delay.
It suggested to ask how to answer call boxes or phones.

My store's a little different:
Channel 1: Main channel.
Channel 2: Longer conversations.
Channel 3: Longer conversations if 2 is in use.
Channel 4: For longer conversations with that one TM who won't use 2 for some reason.

Our backroom isn't busy enough to justify their own channel I guess.

Here it is channel one - Main chatter, 2 - AP, 3 - Backroom, 4 - Private Channel and of course 6 is on the AP walkies but the channel for them to communicate with general information will be on 2 at my store, which still shocks me that TMs don't realise there's more than four channels... But yeah definitely wait to hold down the walkie button before speaking because you will get cut off if you talk too soon! And make sure to talk into the mic, not the speaker!!

Here it is channel one - Main chatter, 2 - AP, 3 - Backroom, 4 - Private Channel and of course 6 is on the AP walkies but the channel for them to communicate with general information will be on 2 at my store, which still shocks me that TMs don't realise there's more than four channels... But yeah definitely wait to hold down the walkie button before speaking because you will get cut off if you talk too soon! And make sure to talk into the mic, not the speaker!!
ASANTS...We have 2 for backroom, 3 for long convo, and I use 4 for AP. My walkie doesn't go to 6.

I wish the search did pictures but someone posted one of the walkie with an arrow to the center that said "This is not the mic!" and another pointing down to where the actual mic is "This is where you talk!"

One thing that helped me get over the nerves was to announce going to break, lunch, and when clocking out. It's also important to keep in mind that 95% of the time, everyone but one person is paying attention to what you say -- it's background noise.

After a few times, talking over a walkie is second nature.

I've also noticed no one cares about what's going on over channel 1 unless they're involved in it. My store is this way;

1. General Chatter/Callbox/Flash conversation
2. Backroom
3. Private chat/clutter/Conversation
4. Private chat/clutter/Conversation

6. is for AP and all things AP.

If I'm cart attending, I'll usually walkie over 1 for the other cart attendant to go to 3 or 4 to ask when they're doing breaks, when they're off, checking up etc. Stuff people don't need to hear over channel 1... I'll just say, if it clutters the channel, go to a different channel.

Just K.I.S.S.

Everyone has that one TM that uses channel one to have a channel 3 conversation. " I just need to let the LOD know I went to lunch 5 minutes ago"

Didn't know about the channel 6 on the AP walkies. My Store:
1: AP to store/vice versa chatter
2: Main channel for the dayside team. This channel is never utilized overnight until store opens, even though I mentioned backroom should utilize this channel to be separated from flow, softlines, pfresh, and price change. At least one other of our overnight teams should use it lol.
3: Main channel for the overnight team . When store opens any teams that started overnight usually switches to 2.
4: Private

Below the button is the speaker, the tiny hole above the button is the microphone. Please talk into the microphone when using the walkie.

Please hold the walkie a foot or two away from your mouth.
hahah yesss... there's people at my store who put the walkie up to their mouths like nah fam, the walkie can literally pick up anything within like a two mile radius you do not gotta be that close

Sure, two feet is way too far if what you're looking to do is blow someone's eardrums out with distorted crackling.

hahah yesss... there's people at my store who put the walkie up to their mouths like nah fam, the walkie can literally pick up anything within like a two mile radius you do not gotta be that close

Give a bit of space but these people who leave it clipped their belt and hit the button do they not realize no one can fucking hear a word they are saying? Well you can if you are a dead quiet room with NO background noise.. And I don't have the greatest hearing(life and self inflicted damage) so I frequently have those idiots "Repeat that please you sound like you are underwater in the bottom of a barrel"

I mean walkies always scared me as I'm a cashier so we never get any equipment.. I finally got confident of using it when I was confident in guest services as over there you constantly need to shout out reshop or call over the GSTL or call team members about items and the price on the shelves.. the only thing I hate is calling an LOD to the service desk as when I call them I need them yet they always push the gstl to me because I'm not important enough for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back