Archived I don't think it's fair that I have to close every weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I get a weekend night (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) off without having to beg for it I am thrilled. Almost 3 and a half years at Target and I have probably had 20 of those weekend nights off. Next weekend is an anomaly in that I have at least Friday and Saturday off but I asked for limited hours and I got them!!

It's ridiculous. I have a life. Can I at least get an early shift? Is that too much to ask for?

does your backroom go until close? Ours are only there until 8 at the latest...which is better than the true closes I get every single weekend (I work often until midnight)

It's ridiculous. I have a life. Can I at least get an early shift? Is that too much to ask for?

Yes, it is. A similar situation resulted in my departure from Wally World. Put in a very simple request surrounding the Thanksgiving holiday WAY IN ADVANCE (opening shift day before and closing shift on BF (pre-opening on Thurs)) so I would have time to drive 7 hours home to spend the day with family and then 7 hours back. It was promptly denied in mid-October saying that it would not be possible. Scheduled to close day before and mid (after a month of straight closing shifts this was the first non-close shift I worked). Conveniently a manager from another retailer caught my resume on Monster.com and hired me for a start the weekend after Thanksgiving. I walked out after my shift on Black Friday.

If you want to get the time off, you might need to request it in MAX/MyTime or just limit your availability.

That was my beef when I first started !!! I worker for 7 months and worked every weekend and each shift was a closing shift!
srtl told me to request a weekend off ,she was as baffled as I was ,because others would get either sat or sunday off!srtl changed my availabilty so I would have some opening shifts on tues and wed ! 2 other tl got involved to change it too they were afraid I would quit !
Etl hr gave me 10 days off as a retaliation saying she could not accomodate my new availability! They hired me because I could work every day and all shifts ...
I handed her my 2 weeks on the spot !! She could not believe I would do that ( being without a job ! My hubby and I do not live above our means and only his income pay for our living expenses ,mine was just extra)
Etl log offered me a job in Flow that same day,I told him I would think about it !
Returned to target 4 months later on flow ( etl hr got canned ) and have my availability as such : mon thru fri 5 am till 2.30 am ! I am global ,got a steady 35 plus hours ,And they tried to have me change my availability,but I won't budge!
When a tl is in a pinch ,I will work on sunday,but this is rare!

I have availability from open to close all week. I've closed almost all weekends for the past two years.

I walked out after my shift on Black Friday.

You still worked what they scheduled you for? I would've just not shown up that day and told them to f**k off.
That year Black Friday was on the 2nd week of the pay cycle. I was off on Saturday and just decided to make a clean break. I also had keys that I needed to turn in (stacker, forklift, office, register) so I just clipped my name tag to the keys and left them in the GMs office when I left. They didn't figure it out until at least the following Monday.

That was my beef when I first started !!! I worker for 7 months and worked every weekend and each shift was a closing shift!
srtl told me to request a weekend off ,she was as baffled as I was ,because others would get either sat or sunday off!srtl changed my availabilty so I would have some opening shifts on tues and wed ! 2 other tl got involved to change it too they were afraid I would quit !
Etl hr gave me 10 days off as a retaliation saying she could not accomodate my new availability! They hired me because I could work every day and all shifts ...
I handed her my 2 weeks on the spot !! She could not believe I would do that ( being without a job ! My hubby and I do not live above our means and only his income pay for our living expenses ,mine was just extra)
Etl log offered me a job in Flow that same day,I told him I would think about it !
Returned to target 4 months later on flow ( etl hr got canned ) and have my availability as such : mon thru fri 5 am till 2.30 am ! I am global ,got a steady 35 plus hours ,And they tried to have me change my availability,but I won't budge!
When I worked as an ETL, you would NOT be hired if you indicated your availability did not include weekends. Period. The STL would not allow it. He would also not allow a change of availability indicating weekends off.

I go to college full-time and also work at Spot full-time. My classes (and thus, days off work) are all crammed into Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'm at work the other five days of the week, hence I'm working every weekend. You get used to it. I do really look forward to Wednesdays, though. They're my decompression shifts.

I can't tell you how many times we've hired team members with wide open availability, a few weeks later they change it so it doesn't include weekends. If their ETL believes they're hard workers and an asset, it gets approved. I've talked to my TL about it, he thinks if he works 2 weekends a month that's the minimum TMs should have to work too. I'm amazed HR approves it. Meanwhile these TMs walk around all cocky that they don't have to work weekends.

The backroom opener at my store will not works nights or weekends. Must be nice to be able to work backroom day and have such a soft schedule like that. I confronted the ETLs on that and they said that team member's availability was approved before their time at my store which means they will not be changing. What a joke. I work in backroom day every weekend usually closing. I rarely get opening shifts in backroom day. I would laugh if the backroom opener at my store ever had to work a weekend shift or close in the backroom. Having to pull a dozen pallets of price change, make 2 bales, or clear 24 pallets of Coca Cola would probably make the team member go crazy since said team member never does any of that. A backroom day team member that doesn't know how to make a bale, put up soda pallets, or pull price change. Must be nice to be able to slack off because of your inability to be trained properly and equally.

Since the week of December 23rd, 2012, the earliest schedule I can find, I have closed the following:

Fridays - 33 (51%)
Saturdays - 44 (68%)
Sundays - 36 (56%)

Total of 64 weeks. I'm constantly closing.

Never had to work closes, but.....

When I first started with the company on flow I think I went like 8 months straight of working every Friday and Saturday overnight, and at times it might be the only two shifts I would get the whole week if hours were slow. This was the same for many of the new or seasonal hires that were kept on. While I saw other TMs (lifers as I call them) get full time hours almost exclusively Sunday-Thursday just because they had been there longer. A few actually had unavailable Friday and Saturday, how they ever got it approved, I don't know. The others had open availability. I complained to the ETL that wrote our schedule. He didn't seem to understand why I felt it was unfair. Like really??

Eventually we got a new ETL who put a end to that. Started scheduling everyone either both Friday/Saturday night one week and the next Friday/Saturday off, or Friday one week and Saturday the next week. Some of the people who never had to work the weekends hated it and complained to the ETL, saying they couldn't work those days for various reasons. He said you don't want to work Friday or Saturday, no problem, here's two shifts a week then, live with it.

When I worked as an ETL, you would NOT be hired if you indicated your availability did not include weekends. Period. The STL would not allow it. He would also not allow a change of availability indicating weekends off.
My main work center is flow! Trucks are mon wed and fridays! Etl log bugged me enough to reapply as flow ,each time I would see him ! I caved him ! 9hrs a week was enough for me ! But it creeped up to 35 hr in a flash ...
Stl calls me at 4.45 am on sundays ,because someone called in for ad set ,I will be there at 5 am ! She knows it ! I live around the corner !she is the onlywho dares calling me that early on a Sunday!!!
Payday friday,lots of tms will not show up or will not stay after their scheduled time ,I do stay and finish the 8 carts in shoes ,or 5 tier carts in hba,and seasonal ! no problem !
Adjacency is crazy in softline ,I 'll help !
Softline reshop? FRO? Guest service? Done that!
16hr shift on black friday,no problem !
But I ll be out by 2 .30 pm !( except BF)
I will not be sucked in to change my availability !!! I have a life outside target !!!

The backroom opener at my store will not works nights or weekends. Must be nice to be able to work backroom day and have such a soft schedule like that. I confronted the ETLs on that and they said that team member's availability was approved before their time at my store which means they will not be changing. What a joke. I work in backroom day every weekend usually closing. I rarely get opening shifts in backroom day. I would laugh if the backroom opener at my store ever had to work a weekend shift or close in the backroom. Having to pull a dozen pallets of price change, make 2 bales, or clear 24 pallets of Coca Cola would probably make the team member go crazy since said team member never does any of that. A backroom day team member that doesn't know how to make a bale, put up soda pallets, or pull price change. Must be nice to be able to slack off because of your inability to be trained properly and equally.

I like all of my backroom teammembers and have nothing against them but I agree, no crap. Pretty nice schedule and hours for some of backroom day that never close, never have to interact with guests and usually have at least one day off on the weekends. I know the work backroom does and there is a lot of tedious work and a lot of lifting but still that is a nice schedule along with Plano. Plano gets screwed with overnight sometimes but for the most part they are like 6-2:30 M-F or 5-1:30 on truck days since we have people in earlier on those days.

I work Pfresh and my schedule is all over the place. The past couple weeks ive been scheduled ad at 4am on sunday, open pfresh at 7 or so tuesday, a few C+S shifts that start at 9 and 1-2 closing shifts that start at 2 or so.

When I was BR, I would work truck days 6-2:30, one non-truck day 6-10, and every other weekend 6-10. Those were the days. Now it doesn't seem like anyone has a set schedule. I guess it's more fair this way, but I wish the BR people could go back to my old schedule and the BR-Days could alternate weekends. They don't have a set early BR-Day though, so it would be difficult.

I just don't see how a team member could be a part of the backroom day team if they refuse to work nights and weekends. I mean what if one of the usual backroom day team members calls out or goes on vacation? That leaves backroom day very vulnerable and means that a person from backroom might have to cover and at my store most of the guys in backroom really don't want to be coming in at 12pm or 1pm and leave at 8pm or 9pm. And I found out today that the team member that works on Saturday and closes on my days off in backroom day quit so the department will be very vulnerable and short handed. Oh and the Monday through Fridayer will be going on vacation for portions of this week and next week.

We used to have one that would do the 7-4 m-f and two that would close. Now I think we have 2 alternating the m-f and all 3 sharing the closes. Sometimes I open on weekends. I don't think anyone is off every weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back