Archived I need Cash register tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got hired at Target as an Apparel and Accessories team member and I had cashier training yesterday but they didnt really teach me much???? Im worried because the store I work at is very busy and I've been told they call back up cashiers quite often

I know the basics such as logging in and scanning the items but I need help on how to

-Add gift receipts

-How do I give a guest a $5 giftcard whenever they buy something that comes with one (Ex. buy 2 get a free $5 giftcard) Is it before or after I've hit total?

-What's the process of selling a red? Is it different for both debit and credit?
All I know is to scan the pamphlet, when I was left on the cash register a guest wanted to apply for one but luckily my trainer did it for me since I had no idea how

-When a guest is using a Red Card do I scan it before or after I hit Total?
and for Gift Cards do I scan it before or after?

-How do I do split payments? Like when a guest wants to pay half with credit and half with cash

-Most guests payed with credit and debit cards so I didnt really have to deal with cash but once I've hit Total do I just type in the amount of cash they give me and the cash drawer opens up automatically????

I was really nervous because straight away they put me on one of the busiest lanes so I could practice and it was my first time ever using a cash register

I recently got hired at Target as an Apparel and Accessories team member and I had cashier training yesterday but they didnt really teach me much???? Im worried because the store I work at is very busy and I've been told they call back up cashiers quite often

I know the basics such as logging in and scanning the items but I need help on how to

-Add gift receipts

-How do I give a guest a $5 giftcard whenever they buy something that comes with one (Ex. buy 2 get a free $5 giftcard) Is it before or after I've hit total?

-What's the process of selling a red? Is it different for both debit and credit?
All I know is to scan the pamphlet, when I was left on the cash register a guest wanted to apply for one but luckily my trainer did it for me since I had no idea how

-How do I do split payments? Like when a guest wants to pay half with credit and half with cash

-Most guests payed with credit and debit cards so I didnt really have to deal with cash but once I've hit Total do I just type in the amount of cash they give me and the cash drawer opens up automatically????

I was really nervous because straight away they put me on one of the busiest lanes so I could practice and it was my first time ever using a cash register

Did you ask the GSA or GSTL your questions?

yes and they told me to ask the cashier who I was shadowing but then she had to leave for her lunch break so they paired me up with someone else but I didnt get to do much cashiering

yes and they told me to ask the cashier who I was shadowing but then she had to leave for her lunch break so they paired me up with someone else but I didnt get to do much cashiering

Ask for more training so you feel comfortable at the registers.

Honestly, is telling you here in a forum is going to be less effective than you asking while on a lane and able to practice it. And NKG is right, if you don't feel like you learned much, you should tell GSTL so you can receive additional training.

These are operational tasks that will stick better with practice. Ask for them to let you cashier for more time than just during a backlog. You gotta be out on the lanes for several days to see all these scenarios pop up.

If a guest qualifies for a giftcard, you will be prompted to scan it. To sign someone up for a redcard, scan the pamphlet, give it to the guest, and follow the prompts on the screen. There are also prompts on the keypad the guest will need to follow. You swipe/scan most payments after you've hit total. The only exception is if the guest is using Wallet. You scan that before hitting total. For the rest of your questions, it's best to partner with someone in your store.

You need to partner with your leader and a GSTL for further training, but if it's anything like my store, you won't get much, if anything. So here we go:

-Add gift receipts
Don't need to. A gift reciept comes attached to the reciept, tell the guest to cut it off.

The register will tell you when to scan the gift card, then you give it to the guest with their reciept.

You leave it in the guest's hands. The pin pad tells the guest what to do. At one point it will tell the guest to give you ID. You scan the bar code on the back and follow the register instructions. If it's debit, you need to insert a blank check in the check reader. I forget exactly when, but the register will tell you.

You scan them after hitting total. The only payment method you scan before hitting total is a Target App barcode.

-How do I do split payments?
When taking a card payment, it asks you how much on the card. You can K1 for all, or type in an amount. Type in however much they want to put on the card and hit enter, and have the guest insert that card. Then you can take the rest of the payment in cash or on another card. For cash, just type in how much cash they gave you.

Yup.

Yup, sounds like Target.

I'd love to get tips at the cash register. I'd velcro my tip jar right to the counter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back