Archived Ideas for REDcards in a saturated market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I would really appreciate any input on what works for you guys!

Situation: I'm newer to the front end with another GSTL and 2 GSAs. There has been a lot of change throughout the store but I can honestly say we have a capable cashier team and the strongest leadership team in the store.

Problem is we are struggling to be consistent and hit the goal with REDcards. Honestly 95% of our cashiers are consistently asking, have the social skills to connect with guests, and are willing to try new techniques to see what works.

We have the recognition from the front end, and from each other. We have some rewards for great behaviors around guest interaction and I'm pretty liberal with food/sbux requisitions. I think we empower them to take care of the guest and are very laid back around restroom breaks and change requests, etc.

We've conquered our attendance issues and I'm comfortable saying our cashiers are well informed and like each other and the leaders up front. They know the expectations and genuinely want to succeed for the most part.

Possible issues: Our market is a little bit older crowd outside a larger city. We have high % of sales with REDcards already but conversion has been pretty bad and inconsistent. Our ETL is very engaged as well as all 4 GS leaders up front although there's not a ton of LOD help otherwise.

TLDR; REDcards are tough. Would love the outside the box ideas that work for you all!

We have had some luck with stressing the debit card plus the extended return policy with older guests who tend to buy presents for their kids/grand kids. This is probably obvious to you but your post is so thorough I can't possibly think of what more you can do. Target needs to learn the definition of a saturated market.

That's an excellent point! We're trying to develop cashiers to think this way too; we want them to tailor the message towards the guest. Hit or miss still based on how outgoing they are and their age in many cases. That gets into a whole new issue with staffing quality TMs with current scheduling and pay structure o_O

We have had some luck with stressing the debit card plus the extended return policy with older guests who tend to buy presents for their kids/grand kids. This is probably obvious to you but your post is so thorough I can't possibly think of what more you can do. Target needs to learn the definition of a saturated market.

How can you possibly expect Target corporate to understand lessons a first year business major should know?

How can you possibly expect Target corporate to understand lessons a first year business major should know?

I have often suspected that it's not so much that they don't understand it's that they don't care.

They would never lower standards for a saturated market. They just expect you to excel at vibing and get the "rest of the people" who don't have one. AKA they don't care.

Just like we don't get a break on AAR doing those stupid iPad giftcards, because we should be good enough to still get green anyways.

When a cashier gets a redcard, have them take shirt off and swing it around while screaming "WOOO 5% off all purchases" old guys love to see people take shirts off.
Eh, no. Just.....no, given what some of our cashiers look like :O
It's enough to send you screaming into the night.
Really.
I don't want to have to scrub that image off my eyeballs.

When a cashier gets a redcard, have them take shirt off and swing it around while screaming "WOOO 5% off all purchases" old guys love to see people take shirts off.
Eh, no. Just.....no, given what some of our cashiers look like :O
It's enough to send you screaming into the night.
Really.
I don't want to have to scrub that image off my eyeballs.

Instead how about a flash mob where the entire store runs up and does Wild Thing by Tone Loc?

Honestly, I'd be a bit more excited about REDCards if we could do some outrageous things like that lol.

We're kind of in the same boat. Our REDcard penetration rate (REDcard Sales / Total Sales) is usually around 25% and always #1 in the district. For conversion, however, we're often dead last. (We ended at 1.5% last week :()

There has been talk amongst the Execs at my store that HQ is considering scoring REDcards based on penetration instead of conversion later this year. So far this is rumor at best, but I'm crossing my fingers.

In the meantime... conversion goals ARE being raised from 2.5% to 3.5%. That should be great for morale......

They would never lower standards for a saturated market. They just expect you to excel at vibing and get the "rest of the people" who don't have one. AKA they don't care.

Just like we don't get a break on AAR doing those stupid iPad giftcards, because we should be good enough to still get green anyways.
I hate ipads right now. 3 out of 4 weeks on sale cmon throw us a bone. not tovmention its drawing in fraud and theft. and that was finally somewhat under control.

We're kind of in the same boat. Our REDcard penetration rate (REDcard Sales / Total Sales) is usually around 25% and always #1 in the district. For conversion, however, we're often dead last. (We ended at 1.5% last week :()

There has been talk amongst the Execs at my store that HQ is considering scoring REDcards based on penetration instead of conversion later this year. So far this is rumor at best, but I'm crossing my fingers.

In the meantime... conversion goals ARE being raised from 2.5% to 3.5%. That should be great for morale......
penetration is usually 25-40 % at my store. we are in a affluent area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back