If I am scheduled as Starbucks, can they make me go to another department?

So starbucks at my location hasn't bad a TL for literal months. Me and the other trainer (which as we all know doesn't really come with any benefits) have been made responsible for ordering everything, putting truck away, training the few new hires, ect. If we're lucky there will be two ppl scheduled at a time. Recently they have been calling US for fast service. And when I explained that we are having to do all this extra work and truly cannot be pulled aside I was told I could go home instead :) I ended up just going up for fast service because I need the money but I felt so flabbergasted! Like didnt you just hear me say I'm trying to keep your starbucks running ??? Another occurrence is one of our new kids were asked to go in produce or something even though scheduled in starbucks to close with only 1 other barista and she was never trained in it or talked about it before hand so she came in to starbucks and talked to the manager available and explained to him that when she was hired they asked if she wanted to cross train and she said no (most of us did!) And they still hired her so she still stood on not wanting to be cross trained so again she was told she could either do it or go home. Like why did you ask if we wanted to get cross trained if you were just going to tell us we didn't have a choice anyways??? I don't see them forcing anyone in starbucks when we ask for HOURS on end for help ? 🙃 im so close to quiting 😭😭 my question: if hired for starbucks can they still ask you to do everything else too? I tried to look at my application and it only shows starbucks responsibility (I didn't apply to the food and beverages role. It specifically says barista !)

So starbucks at my location hasn't bad a TL for literal months. Me and the other trainer (which as we all know doesn't really come with any benefits) have been made responsible for ordering everything, putting truck away, training the few new hires, ect. If we're lucky there will be two ppl scheduled at a time. Recently they have been calling US for fast service. And when I explained that we are having to do all this extra work and truly cannot be pulled aside I was told I could go home instead :) I ended up just going up for fast service because I need the money but I felt so flabbergasted! Like didnt you just hear me say I'm trying to keep your starbucks running ??? Another occurrence is one of our new kids were asked to go in produce or something even though scheduled in starbucks to close with only 1 other barista and she was never trained in it or talked about it before hand so she came in to starbucks and talked to the manager available and explained to him that when she was hired they asked if she wanted to cross train and she said no (most of us did!) And they still hired her so she still stood on not wanting to be cross trained so again she was told she could either do it or go home. Like why did you ask if we wanted to get cross trained if you were just going to tell us we didn't have a choice anyways??? I don't see them forcing anyone in starbucks when we ask for HOURS on end for help ? 🙃 im so close to quiting 😭😭 my question: if hired for starbucks can they still ask you to do everything else too? I tried to look at my application and it only shows starbucks responsibility (I didn't apply to the food and beverages role. It specifically says barista !)
Yes, unfortunately, Target can generally move TMs wherever they want them.🙁 Also unfortunately, these moves often don’t take into account the negative impact on the areas that they are pulling TMs from, or the negative impact on long-term goals (like keeping Starbucks running properly). Robbing Peter to pay Paul seems to be the name of the game, due to inadequate staffing levels storewide and leadership’s #1 priority to cover their butts at all costs. Sorry you are going through this and good luck to you.

Oh maybe I wasn't clear, I'm not a tl, we haven't had one in monthssss so I've just been doing the work of a tl with no extra pay ahaha. just a regular human barista no power over anything here haha 🤭

Oh maybe I wasn't clear, I'm not a tl, we haven't had one in monthssss so I've just been doing the work of a tl with no extra pay ahaha. just a regular human barista no power over anything here haha 🤭
You would think that your store would appreciate you doing TL work for TM pay and let you do your thing keeping Starbucks going, but ,no, Spot can’t ever seem to let well enough alone. I’ll let you in on a little “secret”. TLs don’t have much power over anything either, just a lot of unrealistic expectations and stress. Lots and lots of stress…😉😁

Literal? Lame? Who signs your paycheck? Grow up.
i would say it is pretty lame to pay someone to be one singular human but tell them they need to be 3 lol. Asking me to do the work of a barista (which is a lot in itself) while some how simultaneously doing the work that a TL should be doing (and if i do it wrong it's my fault instead of the fault of the manager that should be doing it 🙃) and then "oh you have a million things to do and no one to help you do it? Oh you missed your meal? Well that's your fault so you will get a write up but go do this before you do anything else or you'll be sent home" I would say that's pretty lame behavior of management to act like one person is 3. As a kid ?? I would have no problem doing everything and not asking questions and would honestly be too scared to even say anything. Growing up IS realizing you should really act your wage lol 😆 but thank you for your input i appreciate it 🙏

Bottom line you work for Target not Starbucks. Target will pull you to work where they feel help is needed most. I work drive up and our team members are constantly getting pulled to do other things. We always get busy 5 to 10 minutes after they are pulled. Leaders don’t care.

I’m a team leader and at my store I try to be as understanding as possible and I generally try not to take team members that are actively working on a task but I have pulled baristas before to help cover a SCO break or backup at a register during very busy times. Do I like doing it? Not really. Do I have a choice? Most times not.

However when I ask for something I don’t really entertain team members challenging me or other leaders on something that has been asked. If a leader redirects you from your work center they would be taking the fall for whatever doesn’t get completed (well good leaders anyway).

But I will do whatever is necessary so there is no team member in the building I wouldn’t take if I needed someone. I’ll try to cover it myself if that’s the best option though.

My advice stick it out a little longer till review time. Use the amount of raise your given as a deciding factor on wether or not to stay or go.
The old "And Any Other Duties As Assigned” line that companies use.

You could also work at a standalone Starbucks and make a lot more.

At my store they don't move Starbucks to other jobs much especially since Target has to staff FULLY Starbucks per contract supposedly.

You can't pull a random TM to be a Barista without zero training.

Back