Archived I'm A Couple Months From Two Years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
My beloved store has mostly been in the red...

Green a few, but - alas...

The STL's last day was yesterday, we lost our head AP dude and another new ETL will be moving on next week.

New hires make more than me...

Be ready for the crackdowns.
All the things that made the store amiable and so that people could get by every day are going to be chucked out the window by the new lot.
Odds are they are going to bring in one of two types.
A trouble shooter, someone who has made green stores out of red ones in the past, who can be hard asses but aren't necessarily the worst people in the world to work for as long as you do your best work and want whats best for the store.
Or that second louie who does everything by the book.
That guy will make you want to bring back the time honored tradition of fragging.

Good luck, I hope you get the first.

Be ready for the crackdowns.
All the things that made the store amiable and so that people could get by every day are going to be chucked out the window by the new lot.
Odds are they are going to bring in one of two types.
A trouble shooter, someone who has made green stores out of red ones in the past, who can be hard asses but aren't necessarily the worst people in the world to work for as long as you do your best work and want whats best for the store.
Or that second louie who does everything by the book.
That guy will make you want to bring back the time honored tradition of fragging.

Good luck, I hope you get the first.
Or 3rd option because the store has a reputation for being difficult and constantly red they are unable to get any ETL to transfer in no matter how much money is offered so you get stuck with wave after wave of young millennial's fresh from college with no work experience running the show who do not even have the basic communication skills to have direct professional face to face conversations.

Turnover sucks lol

Or 3rd option because the store has a reputation for being difficult and constantly red they are unable to get any ETL to transfer in no matter how much money is offered so you get stuck with wave after wave of young millennial's fresh from college with no work experience running the show who do not even have the basic communication skills to have direct professional face to face conversations.

Turnover sucks lol

I will try my best to not shoot myself...

We were in this situation last year. Most metrics were OK, but sales were down for the umpteenth quarter. Our old STL was very nice but, like the countless STLs before them, mostly sat in their office looking at the computer screen all day. Our ETL-HR was/is horrible and no one wants to deal with them. Our ETL-AP, who was OK, was termed for reasons not related to job performance.

The old STL "resigned" after the results of last year's BTS were reviewed. We still have the ETL-HR, but I'm sure their fate is riding on this year's BTS results.

Our new STL is a breath of fresh air. They have been with the company a few years and were ETL-HR. They spend more time out of their office than in it. They are either pushing freight, zoning, doing reshop, pulling batches, working register, or getting in carts. The only thing is, they are getting the brunt of the store's TMs frustration with the cut in hours. They don't realize it is company wide.

Our new ETL-AP is a friendly and approachable person, who is also on the sales floor helping out pushing freight or reshop, or zoning.

My store is much better than last year, but still has a long way to go. We are headed in the right direction and I hope we can continue the momentum.

So, Kartman, hang in there and take it day by day. Change is hard, and unless you are the one initiating the change, no one likes change. But, sometimes change is good and you will find yourself better off for it. I hope it is like that for you,

Good luck!

Last edited:
The fellow did spend a lot of time in front of his monitor...

Since we opened we have had 5 STLs. Three spent more time in their office than on the sales floor. I'm not counting the opening STL in here because the first year a store is open is quite different than one that has been open longer than that. And as I said, our current one spends more than enough time on the sales floor.

When I was a micky dees mgr, if the owner or store manager caught us back in the office, we'd get an ass chewing. Managers were expected to be up front and visible at all times.

My current STL will usually spend about half of her shift in the office. So do most of our ETLs with a few exceptions. The reason I still respect my STL is if you say "LOD there are (number bigger than 5) CAFs on the line" or "LOD, assistance needed at/with (location/thing)" she will come out and get it done with the team, unlike some (not all) other ETLs who will just repeat the same spiel about how we should work faster or go to 3.

My store has been a trouble store since it's opened struggled to keep metrics green but it has one saving grace it makes sales and has been profitable. The churn of upper management though was quite vicious though it's taken quite awhile till we've gotten mostly decent ETLs and a great STL, went though TLs like crazy though. The store still has TM staffing issues but it sorta goes with being a college town store. Just hang in there, new ETLs, STLs, TLs love to change things if that'll work or not, who the hell knows but just try not to let the frustrating situation keep you down. Personally I just try to learn how new management likes to deal with issues and interact with people, rather not drive myself crazy trying to get a new TL to communicate instead of defect when issues are brought up.

If I was the STL, my office would be the one by guest service... with that big one way glassed window.

4th type - the one who has sucked so bad but not bad enough to get shitcanned. So they get transferred to a dump store to get performanced out. We have such a store in my district.

Wait for your review, make sure your raise was more than new guy's.
Then assess, adapt, overcome

4th type - the one who has sucked so bad but not bad enough to get shitcanned. So they get transferred to a dump store to get performanced out. We have such a store in my district.
Every district has that one "store" whose only been open 8 years and has had 6 STLs and about the same amount of DTLs come and go and the neighboring district send ETLs to "help" but they wind up being their bad apples who they catfished as being amazing :/

Reviews are always fun when there a lot of changes because the new people can always blame the bad reviews on the ones who left.

Wait for your review, make sure your raise was more than new guy's.
Then assess, adapt, overcome
Why? Soon we will both get bumped up to $10, but I will get a better raise because I'm not new. I'll be lucky be 25 cents over him...

True, your almost 2 years of seniority won't really matter for much as far as the paycheck goes. So, you've got a decision to make.
You can:

--Quit
--Talk to leadership about bumping up your pay
--Accept whatever merit pay they give you and keep on keepin' on.

It's a crappy situation to be in. However, that's how Spot rolls. Toss in new leadership, and well..not sure that makes the situation any better.

BTW, overcome doesn't necessarily mean staying

Oh, I ain't quitting. Spot is a gas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back