Archived I'm a GSTL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank everyone here. I've learned more from you than I've ever learned at work. You guys are great. When I worked my first GSA shift (after 10 min of training) I asked several questions in a panic. Patient breakroom members helped me get through my shift. I love working in front and I'm so excited to be GSTL. I've been writing thank you notes to all our GSTMs, cashiers and cart attendants and I want to include you too.
One thing that really has helped me is the responses to the thread I started about what you would like to tell your GSA/GSTL. There are so many thoughtful messages in that thread. You guys are great and I thank you!

CONGRATULATIONS! Seems like you have the necessary diplomacy skills to be a great leader! :)
I hope it will be great, fulfilling, and the good kind of challenging!

338218xcitefun-congratulation-7_zpswlvoh4pd.gif

From the red cards thread:
Do ya wanna get a red caaaaaaaaaaaaaaard?
Saving 5% each daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once but now that's gone;
What are ya gonna dooooooooooooooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit toooooooooooooooo.
*Do you wanna build a snowman
redeye58, Apr 8, 2016
Thanks @redeye58

Remember that being a good GSA (speedweaving, backups, change requests, guests) is all expected. You are a GSTL and its assumed you will be a great GSA, just like a SFTL is assumed going to be good at all things a Salesfloor TM would do (zoning, pulls, setting SPs, PTM and Merchandising). Those things will make you a good GSA.

A GSTL is meant to focus on the team. It is one of the largest teams in the store, so the way you impact the group as a whole is most important. You need to put yourself into a parent-like position with them, where you hire them, train them, get to know them, and get them to make you proud. They should be invested in you and not want to quit because they enjoy working for you (not because you are their friend, but because you make their jobs better). You want to be the person who has them wrapped around your fingers, and you always push them in a positive direction (sometimes a GSTL will get there with their team, but get too gossipy with them). Always drive fairness and consistency and explain why you are doing what you are doing. You will be surprised what people attempt to make an issue (the drama talked about before), but if you knock it down and explain why your negative people will realize there is nobody who is going to listen to that kind of stuff.

Rock Lobster, May 9, 2016

There is no 'stupid' while you're learning something new.
'Stupid' happens when you don't ask questions while learning something new.
Thanks
Redeye58

Congratulations! Hopefully you work in a great store and that you won't burn out like the rest of us.

Congrats!! I love the front end too. I left the front end a couple of weeks ago for the HR position (which I love) but I am secretly happy when there is Chaos up front and my leaders ask me if I have a few minutes of spare time to help out at the service desk/watch the lanes or when one of the GSA's calls out and they need me to do the C/O. I know I am weird but I love doing difficult returns, the GSA's will call me when there is a difficult return. I also enjoy saying no to scammers.
My goal is to become a GSTL someday :).

My big advice from what I've seen in my store is show genuine appreciation to those who backup. Don't take the sales floor people who backup for granted, they will hustle up to the lanes and stay longer if you do.

The other thing is to have your cashiers back when guest aren't happy with them. One of our GSTL loves to make it right for the customer which is fine but the cashiers hate him becsuse he always throws them under the bus in front of guest. Even if your cashier is wrong you will have to work with them again, you may never see that guest again. Be gracious.

My big advice from what I've seen in my store is show genuine appreciation to those who backup. Don't take the sales floor people who backup for granted, they will hustle up to the lanes and stay longer if you do.

The other thing is to have your cashiers back when guest aren't happy with them. One of our GSTL loves to make it right for the customer which is fine but the cashiers hate him becsuse he always throws them under the bus in front of guest. Even if your cashier is wrong you will have to work with them again, you may never see that guest again. Be gracious.

I totally agree with HR Zone! Please always back up your cashiers/Service desk Team members. Know all the coupon/price match policies and rules. There were a few occasions when I told the guest "no" because I was following our coupons/price match policies and the GSTL/GSA's didn't know the policy. I follow the coupon/price match rules because otherwise our AP team may think I am bending rules and giving extra discounts.

Is it true GSTLs jobs are literally dependent on how many Redcards your cashiers get during your shift? Had a GSTL un-jokingly tell me she might lose her job that very day if we didnt start getting Red cards.

Is it true GSTLs jobs are literally dependent on how many Redcards your cashiers get during your shift? Had a GSTL un-jokingly tell me she might lose her job that very day if we didnt start getting Red cards.
I just do not get that. You can NOT force people to open a Redcard.. how is it a GSTLs fault?!

Some cashiers don't ask period, if the guest says no, they say no because you asked them and told them of the benefits that they could have, but if you don't even mention it you didn't do part of your core roles which is to speak about the Redcard to the guests. Do I love Redcards, no but I don't mind asking the guests whenever I help the front end.

I just do not get that. You can NOT force people to open a Redcard.. how is it a GSTLs fault?!

No idea, we were having a really bad RedCard streak (we had 0 for like 5 days) and she was in a horrible mood that day but still tried to have fun and smiled and laughed and joked until she said "Alright well, get me some RedCards! :)))) or I'll lose my job." and I laughed and said "Oh haha then oh yeah I might definitely wanna do that then!!! hahahaha" and thinking it was a joke but the fun was over when she lost her laugh and looked me dead in the eye and said "I'm not joking."

I think it might be more of a part of their job to inspire their Cashiers to get redcards, as I think they have a goal to reach for each shift as well, where as we have the "One RedCard every 200-250 transactions goal" I have no idea but apparently it's a part of her job to meet a quota... that's the word! She has a monthly quota to reach! And that's why she might of said that.

I honestly don't ask if they have or want a redcard unless their bill sky-rockets to $150+ or where they save more than $5 so it shows on the POS. My bad for doing that but people simply don't want it unless they have real savings. Honestly 5% isn't even that much, and people have no incentive to sign up in the first place they just get the 5% off right away. Take a look at the Amazon Card for example; free $70 gift card when you sign up. Buy $200 worth of groceries at target and sign up for a red card and save $10. $400 worth of groceries = $20 saved. Wow so much lol.

If you could get a nifty 15% when you sign up as a courtesy reward I'm sure everyone would rush to sign up. So you buy $200 worth of groceries, you save $30. $400 worth of groceries? Pfft, no problem. Save $60 bucks. After that only the 5% applies and people will look at it as "something at least"

I'd totally pitch the RedCard more if there was an incentive for the customer... I wanna say I'd also ask if there were incentives for me to pitch it but I have to remember my future promotions and graduations to other departments are on the line if I don't bring in redcards. I've got 5 currently and I reach 90 days tomorrow. :)

No idea, we were having a really bad RedCard streak (we had 0 for like 5 days) and she was in a horrible mood that day but still tried to have fun and smiled and laughed and joked until she said "Alright well, get me some RedCards! :)))) or I'll lose my job." and I laughed and said "Oh haha then oh yeah I might definitely wanna do that then!!! hahahaha" and thinking it was a joke but the fun was over when she lost her laugh and looked me dead in the eye and said "I'm not joking."

I think it might be more of a part of their job to inspire their Cashiers to get redcards, as I think they have a goal to reach for each shift as well, where as we have the "One RedCard every 200-250 transactions goal" I have no idea but apparently it's a part of her job to meet a quota... that's the word! She has a monthly quota to reach! And that's why she might of said that.

I honestly don't ask if they have or want a redcard unless their bill sky-rockets to $150+ or where they save more than $5 so it shows on the POS. My bad for doing that but people simply don't want it unless they have real savings. Honestly 5% isn't even that much, and people have no incentive to sign up in the first place they just get the 5% off right away. Take a look at the Amazon Card for example; free $70 gift card when you sign up. Buy $200 worth of groceries at target and sign up for a red card and save $10. $400 worth of groceries = $20 saved. Wow so much lol.

If you could get a nifty 15% when you sign up as a courtesy reward I'm sure everyone would rush to sign up. So you buy $200 worth of groceries, you save $30. $400 worth of groceries? Pfft, no problem. Save $60 bucks. After that only the 5% applies and people will look at it as "something at least"

I'd totally pitch the RedCard more if there was an incentive for the customer... I wanna say I'd also ask if there were incentives for me to pitch it but I have to remember my future promotions and graduations to other departments are on the line if I don't bring in redcards. I've got 5 currently and I reach 90 days tomorrow. :)

It used to be ten percent off the first purchase. I could sell people on getting the card, paying it off and cutting it up.

I haven't had any GSTL training yet so I'm still working as a GSA. We have hired quite a few new cashiers. Most of them are minors. Our ETL-GE said we no longer have the new cashiers go through the training materials. They are just paired with another cashier for a couple of hours then put on a register. It's sink or swim. They aren't doing the alcohol training either. The HRTM just tells them the answers when they take the quiz. She is telling me this is new policy company wide. I'm skeptical, to say the least.

It's not policy, but it might as well be because the computer tells you the right answer when you get it wrong, so the new team member can just write down the correct answer. It's not all that different to have someone just tell you the answer in the first place.

Doubt it's policy, or why bother with the test. That time could be sent back up cashiering!

The way they are "training" the new cashiers is what concerns me. I just hope I'm still going to get to go to another store for training. As thrilled as I am to be a GSTL I really don't have any idea what a TL does or is responsible for. So far my GSA training had been getting coached when I do something wrong. I asked an ETL a question and told him I'll be glad to get training because I'm sure there is a lot that I don't know.
He said, "You should make a list."
I asked, "A list?"
He said, "Yes! You should make a list of everything you don't know and give it to [the ETL-GE.]"
He was serious!
*face plant*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back