Integrity hot-line

10 years at target but I only stay now because I understand their way of thinking but refuse to be assimilated.. Omg ! Recently called into the human resources office by a ex military person team lead who I respected and was sat down and basically interrogated for corrective action on call-outs.. But the point is...is he acting on human resources ? Or is he exceeding all authority ? I just completed a refresher course on this. If he is not authorized as a human resources person then he compromised me into telling him personal health issues ...and if he gets away with this on me ..think what he can do to my great diversified team.. Some of who hardly speak english. I have fought and beat management before. But really? If this is some kind of sick stress test target does to people ? Team leader is toast !

I'm assuming he's trying to "seek to understand" why you have been calling out so many times. Your TL partners with HR but is usually the one who ultimately would give you your CA. It's thier job. If you are having health problems that is affecting your work then you should of let your store know, at minimum with a doctor's note. Seems like your upset because you got in trouble. Hope your health issues are getting better.

Missing the point here...he is a team leader not HR..but he assumed an HR position and even used their office. He got personal info out of me of which he has no authority to do so... a team lead not hr..all he had to say to me was corrective action was being applied and let HR handle it ..and I could care less about repercussions ..it is the point that he was trying to get personal information out of me in a role he shouldn't be performing.

Our ETL-HR tells us to have the seek to understand convo regarding coaching or an impending CA (basically the convo before you're going on the CA).

The official CA convo comes from our ETL-HR but we give them any necessary info that they need. If the excuses are valid (COVID, family death, a lot of etc that just happened to go on at once from an otherwise good employee) then the CA doesn't even happen.

On the TL end at our store it doesn't need to be a closed door convo but it should be done off the floor. We've been told we're allowed to use any of the ETL offices to have convos, though none of the TL's do. We can ask questions but our TM's are not legally required to answer. I have some TM's that tell me everything (even more than I'd like to hear, TBH) and I have others that just confirm they were absent on said date(s) and give an "okay" if there is an impending CA.

TL;DR - as a TL I leave it up to the TM what info they'd like to give to me regarding their absences or otherwise. If you felt your TL was forcing you to give info that you were uncomfortable talking to him about you should have a closed door convo with your ETL-HR and SD immediately.

Reminder that the hotline should be used as a last resort.

You should attempt to seek out your ETL/SD/HR with documentation as to your claims.

If you have exhausted these avenues then you may call.

Do not call hotline over stupid stuff like I wasn't allowed to have Tuesday off.

Unless it falls under because they said I'm Hispanic that's why I couldn't have it off.

Or your TL steals every shift and you want to remain anonymous.

If Your SD tells you to put u-boats in the fire exit hallway.

Then you can call without seeking a leader.

Missing the point here...he is a team leader not HR..but he assumed an HR position and even used their office. He got personal info out of me of which he has no authority to do so... a team lead not hr..all he had to say to me was corrective action was being applied and let HR handle it ..and I could care less about repercussions ..it is the point that he was trying to get personal information out of me in a role he shouldn't be performing.
Like I said it is not the HRs job to do what he did. He didn't assume an HR position, he is doing his role as a leader. The only role the HR ETL has in a CA usually is to approve of the CA. Sometimes they will issue it on behalf of the TL but it is not there job to do. ASANTS here maybe other HR ETLs would like to handle these situations. If you feel like you were coerced into giving information ypu were not comfortable giving to the TL you should have a conversation with your HR ETL. You can call the hitting if you want but it is not necessary here. From my experience most tms that are trying to get someone else in trouble in order to not be in trouble themselves. Take your CA and make sure you don't call out again or have a doctor's note.

Like I said it is not the HRs job to do what he did. He didn't assume an HR position, he is doing his role as a leader. The only role the HR ETL has in a CA usually is to approve of the CA. Sometimes they will issue it on behalf of the TL but it is not there job to do. ASANTS here maybe other HR ETLs would like to handle these situations. If you feel like you were coerced into giving information ypu were not comfortable giving to the TL you should have a conversation with your HR ETL. You can call the hitting if you want but it is not necessary here. From my experience most tms that are trying to get someone else in trouble in order to not be in trouble themselves. Take your CA and make sure you don't call out again or have a doctor's note.

All of this. As a TL, our ETL-HR expects us to have conversations about attendance. He did nothing wrong there. If there is a situation, where you wanted to speak to HR about the circumstances behind your absences, that is up to you. The TL still is required to give a PIP,CA or Final to the TM.

this is not something worthy of a hotline call. there was no ethics violation

It appears to be attendance issue. No hotline call.

A health issue pings heavily on both HIPAA and ADA. Someone who has absences does have protection against being forced to say the details of the absences. There would need to be some amount of information given to HR, not necessarily all depending on how savvy the doctor is with any needed paperwork, but beyond that no one has a right to know, all that needs to happen is HR telling them "I can't tell you the details but there can't be corrective action of that type for that day."

A health issue pings heavily on both HIPAA and ADA. Someone who has absences does have protection against being forced to say the details of the absences. There would need to be some amount of information given to HR, not necessarily all depending on how savvy the doctor is with any needed paperwork, but beyond that no one has a right to know, all that needs to happen is HR telling them "I can't tell you the details but there can't be corrective action of that type for that day."
True but if they don't provide even the minimal amount of information they are liable for the absences.

Not if HR has the minimum legal needed information. Middle managements biases could come into play if they know anything more than the absences are acceptable. Middle management doesnt need to know anything, and should not bully someone into revealing health info.

What happens if a manager thinks mental illness is a lack of willpower or birth control is a sin or diabetes is just a fatso problem?

Not if HR has the minimum legal needed information. Middle managements biases could come into play if they know anything more than the absences are acceptable. Middle management doesnt need to know anything, and should not bully someone into revealing health info.

What happens if a manager thinks mental illness is a lack of willpower or birth control is a sin or diabetes is just a fatso problem?
All CAs go through your HR ETL so if they had the information then there wouldn't of even been a conversation

All CAs go through your HR ETL so if they had the information then there wouldn't of even been a conversation
Do all ETLs not say boo to a ghost unless HR approves it?

If HR isnt present and theres no paperwork, ETL could be doing something without authorization.

Do all ETLs not say boo to a ghost unless HR approves it?

If HR isnt present and theres no paperwork, ETL could be doing something without authorization.
With all do respect if this tm had done everything he was supposed to do this would be a non issue because he could of told the tl that he had been cleared with hr. He obviously either didn't do that or is just trying to push blame to someone else for his mistakes. I've worked with tms with mental and health problems a bunch over the last two years and that isn't the issue. Is there a chance that this store is not working correctly sure, but one thing target is good at is covering there own ass.

10 years at target but I only stay now because I understand their way of thinking but refuse to be assimilated.. Omg ! Recently called into the human resources office by a ex military person team lead who I respected and was sat down and basically interrogated for corrective action on call-outs.. But the point is...is he acting on human resources ? Or is he exceeding all authority ? I just completed a refresher course on this. If he is not authorized as a human resources person then he compromised me into telling him personal health issues ...and if he gets away with this on me ..think what he can do to my great diversified team.. Some of who hardly speak english. I have fought and beat management before. But really? If this is some kind of sick stress test target does to people ? Team leader is toast !
It is absolutely your immediate leaders responsibility to talk to you and try to figure out why you keep calling out.
If you didnt feel comfortable then you didnt need to tell them anything.
But yeah you absolutely need to be providing proof of your medical issues with HR otherwise its all accountable time.

No reason to call the hotline, just talk to HR.

An ETL no longer with Target threatened to call a TM s store of upcoming transfer and tell them " he has poor attendance" when he missed work time a few times his last weeks for accute chiropractic services . Each missed time came with a doctor's note but given to HR. Not telling this etl the details almost cost him his transfer.

An ETL no longer with Target threatened to call a TM s store of upcoming transfer and tell them " he has poor attendance" when he missed work time a few times his last weeks for accute chiropractic services . Each missed time came with a doctor's note but given to HR. Not telling this etl the details almost cost him his transfer.
Were those appointments not scheduled ahead of time though? I struggle to see how he would have missed so many in one week. Every time at the stores I've worked at someone had something like that come up, leadership has been more than willing to work with them IF they got with them ahead of time. Did this TM wait until the day of the shift to call out because of the appointment? That's just poor planning imo

Were those appointments not scheduled ahead of time though? I struggle to see how he would have missed so many in one week. Every time at the stores I've worked at someone had something like that come up, leadership has been more than willing to work with them IF they got with them ahead of time. Did this TM wait until the day of the shift to call out because of the appointment? That's just poor planning imo
If its acute then the TM might not have been able to give the 3 weeks notice. Or it was auto denied.

So in order to avoid illegal discrimination one must lose the protection of the ADA? A person ia not allowed their legal protection? The ETL should have been forced to walk a long walk off a short plank because of attempting to violate the rights of the temporarily disabled. Same with HR for not muzzling the ETL.

If its acute then the TM might not have been able to give the 3 weeks notice. Or it was auto denied.

So in order to avoid illegal discrimination one must lose the protection of the ADA? A person ia not allowed their legal protection? The ETL should have been forced to walk a long walk off a short plank because of attempting to violate the rights of the temporarily disabled. Same with HR for not muzzling the ETL.
HR is suppose to communicate to the leader that the absences are nonaccountable. HR may have also asked for additional paperwork from the TM that was not provided. The leave would not be denied if the proper documentation is received.

Any time my TMs open a leave, request FMLA, use FMLA days, need to submit supporting documentation, or get denied I get an email from Reed group/benefits center.

So yes, its now the ETL's job to communicate that A) your leave was denied B) the time is accountable and C) it could potentially impact job changes and/or transfers.

The leader should also communicate that to avoid this, HR needs the proper documentation/communication or whatever. What the TM decides to share with the leader at this point is up to the TM. But that TM is still accountable for missed time and needs to either backfill with sicktime or back date a leave to cover it. Its not leader discretion its company policy.

If HR has the required paperwork and it's straight, then why does the ETL need to be involved at all? Shouldn't it stay between the TM and HR?

ADA

Some information will be shared with managers. I knew why almost all of my 200 member team had accomodations, LOAs or FMLAs and there's nothing legally preventing HR from sharing that. In fact HR NEEDS to share some of that information so TMs following the rules don't get accidentally coached or CA'd

People think HIPA and ADAs mean that they don't need to tell leaders anything medical. Which is 100% false. An ADA does not cover unexcused absences and it only covers reasonable accomodation which requires partnering with the leader and HR to figure out what that is. Calling in last minute 3 times a week for appts doesn't fall under reasonable. A leader will at the very least know what an ADA TM's accommodations are, if not outright knowing the medical conditions. There's nothing legally preventing this.

If the team member calls in using sick time, FMLA or has an approved leave then the leader won't follow up. But there's more to it than that. A doctors note by itself is not an excused absence. Never has been. If the TM hasn't partnered with the benefits center or HR to get their stuff squared away.

TMs with FMLA (one of the most abused systems in Target) only get a certain allowance similar to sick time, if they go above it, its a coaching conversation. They also have a dual call-in process that if its not followed its a coaching conversation.

Too many times as a TM you get in the mindset that leaders are screwing you over and in reality until you get to the other side you don't realize what's happening behind the curtain and why some leaders go batshit insane after awhile. And TMs themselves only share their side of what's going on, while a leader will never share there's because they can't share it with a TM so your perspective gets skewed.

That TM with the chiro appts probably was not following the processes and figured they was about to transfer so they could do whatever they want and be fine and didn't work out that way.

Wait……what? Was TM magically cured with the transfer, and was no longer needing to call out? How could anyone think a transfer was going to fix the obvious attendance issue? let’s just say, for example, 2 call outs over 4 weeks. Now I assume it was more than this example of 2 times in a month, but 2x12=24 days missed in a year. How many people are actually even scheduled for 24 shifts each month? This means TM misses an average of a full month over the course of a year. Receiving store ETL should be pissed as hell for passing that PERFORMANCE ISSUE along rather than dealing with it like they should have. Gotta say, I just love doing the work of 3-4 people every day because of all the call ins, but they don’t pay me their wages for picking up the slack. but it’s ok, because they had a note from their mommy. I mean doctor..

Hipaa doesn’t mean only hr has the right to ask.

Back