Archived Interesting comments from Target's Facebook page

Status
Not open for further replies.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Hello L**** - We are working with our team members to accommodate their scheduling requests and appreciate their dedication and flexibility during this critical time of year. Efforts are being made to staff holiday hours on a volunteer basis, and to develop staffing solutions that best fit the teams' needs. - S**

please tell me this isnt a spot pr redderick cause it couldnt be farther from the truth

I heard the words final warning coming from an ETL when a TM joked about calling in for Black Friday. Really soured the jocular mood.

Worst part is the two or three team members corroborating their story about how we're "all asked beforehand" and none of us are being forced. I'm sure there are some stores somewhere in a mystical land that actually had enough volunteers that they didn't have to schedule anyone who didn't want to work on Thanksgiving, but to assume every store is like that is just stupid. Somehow the bullseye has brainwashed these team members into being a PR team for target.

My store was actually somewhat considerate by having a sign-up sheet. Unfortunately, not enough people volunteered. No one in softlines did haha, but a bunch of us are working that night.

I'm generally fairly happy with the way my store conducts business, but yeah in regards to Thanksgiving/Black Friday there was no sign-up sheet that I ever saw, nor was I or anyone I know asked about holiday hours, at least at the TM level (I think one of the GSTLs mentioned she wasn't working Thanksgiving. Regardless, schedules were released and I'm working >40 hours this week largely concentrated into the Weds-Sat block, including 7:45 PM Thurs - 3:30 AM Friday, with a return time of 10:30 AM Friday.

Why are so many people complaining? Working weekends and holidays is a part of retail. There are incentives like holiday pay and shift differential to ease the pain. My store asked everyone one by one if they would open their availability for certain time periods and offered a chance to win some rather large gift cards if you showed up for all of your shifts. If you don't like working holidays then get a boring office job!

mi2rm8.jpg

Why are so many people complaining? Working weekends and holidays is a part of retail. There are incentives like holiday pay and shift differential to ease the pain. My store asked everyone one by one if they would open their availability for certain time periods and offered a chance to win some rather large gift cards if you showed up for all of your shifts. If you don't like working holidays then get a boring office job!

Posted almost the same the same thing November 9th of last year, in a thread called "Let's all call out."

ObviousTroll_answer_9_xlarge.jpeg

Worst part is the two or three team members corroborating their story about how we're "all asked beforehand" and none of us are being forced. I'm sure there are some stores somewhere in a mystical land that actually had enough volunteers that they didn't have to schedule anyone who didn't want to work on Thanksgiving, but to assume every store is like that is just stupid. Somehow the bullseye has brainwashed these team members into being a PR team for target.

My store was actually somewhat considerate by having a sign-up sheet. Unfortunately, not enough people volunteered. No one in softlines did haha, but a bunch of us are working that night.

Yes! One is some stupid seasonal person who keeps saying she was asked in her interview if she would work Thanksgiving, thus how considerate they are. I really want to point out that if she had said "no," she wouldn't have gotten the job. So she really didn't have a choice.

I don't mind working Thanksgiving. Time and Half/shift differential,tasty catered foods,get the hours out of they way, go home,and go to bed. My family has always eaten early, so it's something to do after I guess. The only downside is I can't get too drunk during Thanksgiving dinner.

Yes! One is some stupid seasonal person who keeps saying she was asked in her interview if she would work Thanksgiving, thus how considerate they are. I really want to point out that if she had said "no," she wouldn't have gotten the job. So she really didn't have a choice.

Of course she had a choice. She could have chosen to not take the job!

Posted almost the same the same thing November 9th of last year, in a thread called "Let's all call out."

It is not a attempt at trolling. I posted the same thing last year and I'll probably post the same thing next year because I'm sure there will still be people whining about having to work. Next year we will probably open at 6 p.m.

I don't think people are complaining ( calm down) I think people are saying how it's funny how spot lies and says yes,yes people can request off ( wrong) volunteer basis ( wrong) spot paints Target as this sun shiny place where everyone volunteers a volunteer basis and if people want to request off they can which is so far from the truth....... Yes everyone understands we have to work holidays etc we get that it is apart of the retail business what people do not like is spot lying.

But how many stores have told their team members that the November/December/January dates were blacked out (leave requests/availablity changes automatically denied unless in case of emergency)? How many stores did not ask if their TMs wanted to work Thanksgiving day? How many stores are making their TMs work double shifts or more?

I remember the years when I worked Black Friday at Target was opening at 7am and closing at 11am. Then it was 6am. Then it was 4am. Then it was midnight. Retail companies are just getting greedier and more hostile trying to out do each other every year with little regard to their employees.

Last edited:

It is not a attempt at trolling. I posted the same thing last year and I'll probably post the same thing next year because I'm sure there will still be people whining about having to work. Next year we will probably open at 6 p.m.
My god, how can you not see how asinine a statement like this is? If everyone took a boring office job, then companies like Target would have to under-pay low skilled workers and force them to work holidays and... Oh, wait...

Point misser misses the point.

Let me explain this to you slowly since I guess you only have one response this time of year.

This thread isn't about people being upset they have to work Thanksgiving.

It's about SPOT LYING!

When they post for public consumption that they are taking volunteers and going out of their way to meet employees needs they aren't telling the truth (at least in 98% of the stores, I'll give you the few well run stores I hear about occasionally).

You're post had nothing to do with the thread and deserved every bit of the scorn it received.

Our leadership went around asking if TMs could open up their avail more 'during the holidays'. They told us how spot was addressing the biggest complaint about there never being enough hrs so they weren't hiring as many seasonal help in an effort to give more hrs to the current team.
Translation: Spot can't get anyone at the crap wages they're paying; the few they DO get don't last a week. When you open up your avail for the holidays, don't be surprised when you can't change it back AFTER the holidays because you can REQUEST but they don't necessarily have to approve.

I haven't been with Spot forever, but I was pretty sure that was just "Target Talk." I figured "Yah, we're trying to work around schedules and accept any volunteers" means "You actually have to work this or you've moved yourself closer to being fired."

That's just like, "We had some missed opportunities on this truck unload and will partner with our peers to fix them" actually means "We totally fucked this up, have half a truck un-pushed, the other half un-backstocked, everyone went home, and someone will pay hell for this."

Maybe I'm misreading this, I just figured I worked for/with a bunch of cut-throat pirates who wear red and need to meet expectations or else their superior will start slashing throats with a cutlass. Oh, and this means everyone works on the holiday, or...yah...the cutlass. Ahoy!

The gift card raffle thing was allegedly being done at every store. They asked to open our availability up for 6 or so specific dates. When they went around for this. I told my ETL-HR that I could do 9pm Thanksgiving overnight again. I ended up with a 4 hour shift on Thanksgiving that starts at 7 (don't feed me that tired bullshit about getting holiday pay and shift diff because it's only 4 hours of holiday and I'm not overnighting so no shift diff). So, sure they asked. Unfortunately, when they didn't receive the response they wanted they decided to say "well, here's what I'm gonna give you instead. Take it or leave." If enough people don't volunteer, they still schedule those of us who didn't volunteer.

I've accepted what I got, convinced my mom to drive me back here for work mid-Thanksgiving (my family goes hard... they start early and end late lol), so I'm fine, but Target is lying about accommodating scheduling requests and developing staffing solutions that fit the teams' needs.

Shifting gears here and someone mentioned it in the thread and I always wondered it myself why after Christmas is still blacked out for vacation days? Yes I can understand December 26th people taking things back but beyond that it just doesn't make any sense....Christmas is over.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back