Archived Interns...mixed feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it's a way to get new, young talent in the door. But as a SrTL it really grinds my gears that they bring in outsiders to be trained by our teams to eventually take a job that they could be grooming me for but instead they give all this training and attention to some pretentious jack that I have to spend my day training. Anyone else feel way?

I'm an intern. I can see where you're coming from. I try my best to be humble. I know how quickly first impressions can go sour especially with the way Target hires ETLs.

Meh, happens every summer. Our newbie is 19. Going to be an ETL, has a good attitude so best of wishes. Some in the past have been pretentious but retail isnt for everyone so eventually the ones worthy will make it. I admire target for creating jobs and accepting fresh out of college kids with open arms.

I understand it's a way to get new, young talent in the door. But as a SrTL it really grinds my gears that they bring in outsiders to be trained by our teams to eventually take a job that they could be grooming me for but instead they give all this training and attention to some pretentious jack that I have to spend my day training. Anyone else feel way?
You've got a better chance from outside the store from what most report. If that's your goal either get with your stl/dtl and find a way or get out and become the intern soaking up the attention.

A lot of the interns in my area are clique-ish. They don't interact much with the team. TMs see that and it doesn't make a favorable impression. We're nervous about fitting in too but I try my best to introduce myself and build rapport with as many tm's as I can.

A lot of the interns in my area are clique-ish. They don't interact much with the team. TMs see that and it doesn't make a favorable impression. We're nervous about fitting in too but I try my best to introduce myself and build rapport with as many tm's as I can.
Yeah, its a good thing. Most people find it hard to be happy for others and that seperates the leaders from the rest. A good leader is accepting of others good fortune. A good leader supports the truth and what is right, even when the truth is not in favor of others good fortune.

Last edited:
Yeah, its a good thing. Most people find it hard to be happy for others and that seperates the leaders from the rest. A good leader is accepting of others good fortune. A good leader supports the truth and what is right, even when the truth is not in favor of others good fortune.

I am very happy for those in our building who are promoted. We just had a VML promoted and she totally deserved it because she worked her way up over the past few years. I think it would just only help morale in stores to see that Target wants to promote from within and not bring in 20 something's who have little to no experience.

I haven't really worked with our current intern but I don't have the most faith in her. I already miss our previous intern.

What's frustrating to me is that I'm a current team member with less than a year away from my degree in Human Resources. I expressed interest in the internship program and my ETL's and STL were on board with it. Between myself and my STL contacting the recruiter in my group and my DTL, it turns out that it is an external position only. It sucks that I can't do my required internship with the company I've done so much for over the last 3 years.

We have an intern who is about to become a GE. I swear he was chosen for his good looks and positive attitude. Unfortunately when the rubber meets the road you need a lot more to be successful

What's frustrating to me is that I'm a current team member with less than a year away from my degree in Human Resources. I expressed interest in the internship program and my ETL's and STL were on board with it. Between myself and my STL contacting the recruiter in my group and my DTL, it turns out that it is an external position only. It sucks that I can't do my required internship with the company I've done so much for over the last 3 years.
This is what a hate!!!!! Why are internship positions only external?

Crazy thing was though - i was talking to my GSTL who is in her last year of University. I was talking to her and asking her why doesn't she become a EIT/Intern? She said it had to be external. But for about the last year, my STL and my ETL-SalesFloor and Electronics TL all knew i was working towards becoming a ETL and last night i was talking to my STL that its possible to get a interview for Intern/ETL? Not sure.

But my ETL-HR also said it's possible for me to get into a internship and that she would help me when I'm eligible for internship?

Me personally, I look at internals more favorably than externals. Obvious point being they actually were at one point in time where I was at and are REALISTIC in a task at hand. Anyone new to Spot looks at papers and scratches their heads and ask silly questions as to why "X,Y,Z" is not complete.

I spent a lot of time training Interns as a srtl. Probably 50-60% of the year each year.

Look at it this way. Chances are, they're going to get hired regardless. Do you want to work with a shit ETL because you trained them shitty? Invest the time and look at them as a resource. This is a person with a close working relationship who can speak to your talents and help you move up. On your end, it's a good talking point to say "trained xyz interns who were promoted and retained to etl. Xyz moved on to Stl."

If they have a shit attitude, tell them. I had many interns quit or freak out because I told them they needed to get humble and lose their shit attitude or they wouldn't last a month.

Also, show them all this video:

I spent a lot of time training Interns as a srtl. Probably 50-60% of the year each year.

Look at it this way. Chances are, they're going to get hired regardless. Do you want to work with a shit ETL because you trained them shitty? Invest the time and look at them as a resource. This is a person with a close working relationship who can speak to your talents and help you move up. On your end, it's a good talking point to say "trained xyz interns who were promoted and retained to etl. Xyz moved on to Stl."

If they have a shit attitude, tell them. I had many interns quit or freak out because I told them they needed to get humble and lose their shit attitude or they wouldn't last a month.

Also, show them all this video:

OMG if they would make that video the Standard for All Orientations!!! Oh how cool would that be!!! :):D

We just got a new intern a few days ago, they seem alright so far. Fairly social with the entire team, respectful of everyone with seniority, but we'll see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back