Archived Is anyone else's GSTLs/GSAs like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the GSTL brought back change to Electronics the other day, and i usually don't ask if guests want a red card on really, really cheap items in electronics. I asked them if they wanted to sign up for a "Target Credit Card" and not Red Card, since who ever has a check? He wasn't mad, but he was like "Don't present it as the Target Credit Card" - i told him i present it like that so people don't think it's a rewards card. GSTL said they don't care/don't worry, all i want is results.

Anyone else have a front-end leader like that? Kind of annoying.. i always explain very very carefully that they are signing up for a credit card when i get applications.

Ask him if he'd like to partake in eating a bag of weenies.

I've never seen a gstl nitpick like that; but have seen some try getting the food team get red cards(lol no.)

We call it a target card simply or a red card. I instruct my cashiers to never initially say credit NOR debit card but to wait until they have actually started the application. This has proven to drive much more results and provides for a more positive guest experience as I have the cashiers educate the guests of the red card benefits as they fill out the application. Who wants as a first impression to be flat out told that the card is a credit card when you could word it simply as a target card which is a credit or debit card that saves you 5%today and everyday, gives you free shipping online, and an extra 30 day returns (which is pretty much the only pointless benefit as I know some stores, excluding ours, are a "yes" return desk). Our former STL, who moved to a different store, did however encourage us to call it a "rewards card" and I flat out shut it down and told the cashiers I will not be hearing any of that crap on my shift. This same STL yelled at me once in front of a guest during a red card sign up when I was a cashier and also the red card queen and I just shut her down. I didn't care. We now get along though as she comes through our store for meetings and hug and greet so it's good :) People who are not GSTL/GSA or any ETL or above will never understand the pressure of meeting goal. Do you think we want to bombard you about red cards and be on your ass? No, but it is simply our jobs to do so and ensure everyone is playing the game.

I call it the Target RedCard too, and when giving others advice, I tell them the same thing. The purpose isn't to trick guests into thinking it's a rewards card, because you should have to explain what it is anyway.

I also call it the Target DEBIT card because I think more people are interested, if not curious, about that vs the credit card. I rarely advertise the credit one, unless they want to know. I don't push it if they're not interested anyway.

Your GSTL is probably giving you a tip, to not call it a credit card right off the bat, because people tune out your offer the second they hear "credit."

I say credit/debit card because a lot of people have told me they were duped by a team member (not in my store) that said it was a rewards card and not a credit card. I care about the result but not enough for a team member to potentially dupe a guest.

Good, my mom had a cashier ask her to sign up for a red discount card. When he asked for guest SSN she freaked out on him.

If you have to lie about the card to sell it you are doing it wrong

Your GSTL is probably giving you a tip, to not call it a credit card right off the bat, because people tune out your offer the second they hear "credit."

My ETL GE insist it's a big mistake to not mention the credit and I get her point.

Some people have the debit and credit.
Some people don't have a blank check for the debit.
Some people want to build their credit.

My old store fired the "REDcard Queen" cashier because she was intentionally deceiving many guests and told people it was a rewards card like the grocery stores have. Her daily record was something like 12 cards opened on a random Tuesday. ETL-AP pursued her aggressively and used her as a warning for future cashiers who would try deceiving people as a way to boost their numbers.

Now even at Lowe's where I currently work, I encourage my cashiers to be honest even if that means their metrics stay low, because it is illegal and unethical and wrong to do that to people. It's one thing to wait until they've started the application to use the word 'credit.' That's just a sales tactic. But you do NOT lie.

People that get a lot of red cards don't use the word credit until they absolutely have to, based on what I've gathered from the high red card TMs who have come and gone at my store.

Of course I never talk about red cards, not ever since I got 500 dollars in overdraft fees from my Target Debit card. But back when I was trying to get better, that was the common wisdom.

My ETL GE insist it's a big mistake to not mention the credit and I get her point.

Some people have the debit and credit.
Some people don't have a blank check for the debit.
Some people want to build their credit.

Yeah, you don't build credit with a card from Target with almost 30% interest. I never come straight out the gate with credit. I spark curiosity first.

Yeah, you don't build credit with a card from Target with almost 30% interest. I never come straight out the gate with credit. I spark curiosity first.

I use my credit REDcard to help build credit. I just make sure to pay it in full every month so I don't owe interest on it.

I use my credit REDcard to help build credit. I just make sure to pay it in full every month so I don't owe interest on it.

What a waste. Get a credit card that doesn't suck.

One of my first credit cards was a Target card. Paid it in full every month...yada, yada, yada...Target issued me a Target Visa (now a MC) and my credit is real and spectacular. Every bit helps is the moral of the story.

Just buy these cards in bulk from a card shop, slip one to each guest with a wink and a smile, presto.

RedCardXY124.jpg

So, the GSTL brought back change to Electronics the other day, and i usually don't ask if guests want a red card on really, really cheap items in electronics. I asked them if they wanted to sign up for a "Target Credit Card" and not Red Card, since who ever has a check? He wasn't mad, but he was like "Don't present it as the Target Credit Card" - i told him i present it like that so people don't think it's a rewards card. GSTL said they don't care/don't worry, all i want is results.

Anyone else have a front-end leader like that? Kind of annoying.. i always explain very very carefully that they are signing up for a credit card when i get applications.
Wells Fargo is a good example of a results-oriented mindset. I hate misleading people and I find it very dishonest when all methods are used to open a red card. I've known of examples when they have tried to open an account if the person does not have a SS#

What a waste. Get a credit card that doesn't suck.

I have 5 credit cards actually. My REDcard was one of the first I ever got approved for, so that's what I used to build credit until my score was good enough to get better ones. And since I shop at Spot, I still use it.

I have 5 credit cards actually. My REDcard was one of the first I ever got approved for, so that's what I used to build credit until my score was good enough to get better ones. And since I shop at Spot, I still use it.

Holy fuck, 5? Why? Point is, it's far more logical to get a low interest credit card that isn't just a loyalty card. Hence why I don't use that as a selling point.

Our store falla short of redcards everyday and the LODs and GSTLs always have some rediculous ways of trying to get more. Cashiers have been coached for not getting enough which i find absolutely horrifying.

Our store falla short of redcards everyday and the LODs and GSTLs always have some rediculous ways of trying to get more. Cashiers have been coached for not getting enough which i find absolutely horrifying.

They can't coach you for not getting them they can coach you for not asking.

One thing I hate is etl GEs/GSTLs who try to pressure team members to get one. Or if they have the debit pressuring them to get the credit.

They can't coach you for not getting them they can coach you for not asking.

One thing I hate is etl GEs/GSTLs who try to pressure team members to get one. Or if they have the debit pressuring them to get the credit.
Our ETL-GE is like this, but with guests. There've been more than a couple of guests that have yelled at her for this.

As for presentation; my former GSTL trained his cashiers to say "Are you saving 5%?" and go from there.

I sometimes use the "Will you be saving your 5% off on today's shopping?" while I'm ringing them up. If they seem interested I continue to talk it up as I scan and bag their items. If they bite I get them going as I finish scanning their items. Gotta keep rhythm.

Holy fuck, 5? Why? Point is, it's far more logical to get a low interest credit card that isn't just a loyalty card. Hence why I don't use that as a selling point.
Especially when the interest rate on the red card is 23%. I don't feel very confident selling this card just to save 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back