COVID-19 Is anyone else's Target enforcing masks?

Suspiciously high mask compliance rate in my store. I'm not sure if AP is enforcing it. Personally I will not. I don't want to get shot more than I don't want Corona.

Seems there is an easy way out if ppl are not wearing a mask and state they have an underlying medical condition or are young children. I don't see much enforcement on Target's side.It will probably be guests battling it out though...mask vs unmasked...This is our new world now !

I will be curious to see if my store enforces this. Does anyone know if this is coming with more hours to post people at the doors to turn people away? LOL.

At my store, it seems like people think the virus goes beddie-bye early, as most people are wearing masks when I get there at 5pm, but by 8pm maybe a quarter of guests are. It's weird.

I will be curious to see if my store enforces this. Does anyone know if this is coming with more hours to post people at the doors to turn people away? LOL.

At my store, it seems like people think the virus goes beddie-bye early, as most people are wearing masks when I get there at 5pm, but by 8pm maybe a quarter of guests are. It's weird.
I think some people feel they can get away with it the later it is. Oh, I will just run in after dark, no one will care... :rolleyes: :mad:

Our state has had a mask mandate for months now and we enforce it. Thankfully leadership takes it very seriously at my store.

As for taking masks off in tsc...it's tsc. You can't eat with your mask on. We may have our masks off but we still social distance. That's common sense.

TSC isn't the breakroom and people shouldn't be eating there - Praise be, my store finally stopped TMs from taking their meal breaks there last year. Also, hard to social distance when people gather around the time clock or go into the equipment room. They are limiting it to one at a time but people still walk in when someone else is in there. Masks should be kept on unless eating in the breakroom.

I hope every Target enforces the mask rule but at the same time I am confused by how almost all essential companies that remained open during the start of the pandemic were quick to hand out hazard pay and now as the pandemic rages out of control and people are in more danger than the start of it, all of these same companies have stopped it. The threat level is higher now. Are there any essential companies that are paying hazard pay ?

I'm in an area that does not already have any kind of mask mandate in place, so we'll be starting August 1st.

I had some guests ask me today why Target is waiting until the 1st to start the mandate when Walmart and others are starting on the 20th. I guessed that it was because they had to make signs and train door greeters or some such, but didn't really know how to answer them.

I'm in an area that does not already have any kind of mask mandate in place, so we'll be starting August 1st.

I had some guests ask me today why Target is waiting until the 1st to start the mandate when Walmart and others are starting on the 20th. I guessed that it was because they had to make signs and train door greeters or some such, but didn't really know how to answer them.

I asked my SD about that and she kind of confirmed that they need the time to do the signage and all that stuff. They may also need to figure out enforcement. There will be right ways and wrong ways to enforce it, and I hope they don't just dump it on the cart cleaners or whatever to enforce.

Winn-Dixie is bucking the trend and no mask requirement.

However some states they operate in have mask requirements so I don't see how they can get away with this.

These are the states requiring people to wear masks when out in public - https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/states-face-mask-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

This article was updated on July 17 accordingly to the byline

My SD said for months he would NOT enforce it for the safety of the team/guests. Now Corp says we must enforce. They are making the cart cleaners enforce it which consists of teenagers and old ladies. You should be ashamed of yourself CORP! You have no problem hiring security guards at the front entrance of your stores during Christmas time to protect your assets, yet you will put your team members in a hostile situation with little to no training on how to handle this tension filled job position. Spokesperson for Target, Joshua Thomas said "the safety of our team is our top priority". Oh REALLY?? Now what?? Now team members are left to stand up to defiant shoppers on their own. I have three words for you Corp: Hostile Work Environment! SHAME ON YOU!!! Hire security guards for this!

Winn-Dixie is bucking the trend and no mask requirement.
SE Grocers came out and backtracked on the statement and said Winn-Dixie store will have to enforce the mask thing.

My SD said for months he would NOT enforce it for the safety of the team/guests. Now Corp says we must enforce. They are making the cart cleaners enforce it which consists of teenagers and old ladies. You should be ashamed of yourself CORP! You have no problem hiring security guards at the front entrance of your stores during Christmas time to protect your assets, yet you will put your team members in a hostile situation with little to no training on how to handle this tension filled job position. Spokesperson for Target, Joshua Thomas said "the safety of our team is our top priority". Oh REALLY?? Now what?? Now team members are left to stand up to defiant shoppers on their own. I have three words for you Corp: Hostile Work Environment! SHAME ON YOU!!! Hire security guards for this!

Supposedly ap is supposed to be the ones telling guests they can’t come in if they aren’t wearing masks.
But it’s been so long since ap has been stationed at the entrance to watch people leaving I’ll believe it when I see it.

SD and ETLs take off masks in TBR and TSC. TLs and TM's do the same thing. Bad role modeling makes shit roll down hill. Masks are mandated here inside in public, but customers come in without them. No enforcement. Only thing I can do is wear one to protect myself. No announced cases at our store. Not sure if they'll tell us, but I'm waiting for the wave of absenteeism.

The original link changed to the amended article, but I thought it sounded like Winn-Dixie was saying that for safety retail workers shouldn't be enforcers, if masks are mandatory there should be law enforcement close by shopping centers handing out tickets. That way if a customer feels froggy it won't be a retail worker in reach.

I don't know. The rules are the rules. The rules should apply to everyone. Everyone should follow the rules. Not making all people follow the rules is wrong. Letting some people not follow the rules is wrong. Putting untrained people in the way of ire is wrong. But is placing police officers at the door and fostering a situation where there's going to be violence and therefore arrests the right thing? Or is the fact that there is a reasonable expectation that people not wanting to follow the rule will trigger violence mean that yes, this is exactly where a police officer should be and that this is exactly why he should be ready to physically intervene?

In case anyone is wondering but company policy is to ask the guest to wear a mask. If they refuse, we offer one to them. If they refuse, we let them know about drive up or ship to their home. Then if they still refuse....we let it go. It's bad PR and local police will not respond. If the situation becomes escalated to beyond wearing a mask then get AP involved.

They sent out district conference call notes today which included our new mask policy. It says we are to educate the guest about our mask policy and offer them one if they don’t have one. We are not to enforce the policy if the guest refuses though. 🤦‍♂️

Back