Archived Is Guest Services driving you insane at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a gstm myself yes some of the other ones drive me nuts. I’ll come in to close and the openers will 99% of the time leave me with an overflowing trash, overflowing salvage, overflowing full reshop carts and about 5 carts that still need to be sorted, shit all over the counter. For the first like 3-4 hours of my shift I’m cleaning up their mess, before I can start on my own stuff (WHICH I ALWAYS GET DONE EVEN IF IM BY MYSELF I DONT LEAVE THE OPENER WITH ANYTHING TO DO)
Also some of them will like try to gossip or have a conversation with me like literally while I’m in the middle of helping a guest. Like omg most returns take like 1 minute tops. You can’t wait one minute to spill the tea? Hold on, jesus.
Or they’ll defect a bunch of stuff during a return, don’t put the stickers on anything, leave the crap all over the counter and like, leave. So I have to sit there and try to figure it out. I’ll put stickers on things as they print. Say someone is returning like a shirt and a couple towels? I’ll scan the receipt, scan the shirt, put the shirt in the softlines cart, scan the towels, put those in the domestics cart, then finish up the return. Someone returning something that’s broken? Scan receipt, scan item, press k1, put sticker on item, quickly tape if needed, throw into salvage box and then finish up the return. It helps keep the counter ~clear~ and not give me more work to do later.
Imagine if everyone worked like I did </3

I seriously wish they would just train me in GS. I already repack all my own items, do my own defectives, sort stray when I bring it up, etc. I easily spend 30 minutes a day at the desk, probably longer if I’m doing flexes also. (I’m Hardlines). It sucks to have to tell a guest that I’m not allowed to help them. I feel the same way about Starbucks, they always hit the backup button but no one is trained to help them..

The only reason I don't put items into the appropriate carts while I'm scanning is the stickers. Our printers are delayed just enough that it makes more sense for me to wait and clean up after the transaction is complete. I've never had a guest complain (at least not that I've heard myself or been told about) when I ask them for 5 seconds to clean up from the last guest.

As a gstm myself yes some of the other ones drive me nuts. I’ll come in to close and the openers will 99% of the time leave me with an overflowing trash, overflowing salvage, overflowing full reshop carts and about 5 carts that still need to be sorted, shit all over the counter. For the first like 3-4 hours of my shift I’m cleaning up their mess, before I can start on my own stuff (WHICH I ALWAYS GET DONE EVEN IF IM BY MYSELF I DONT LEAVE THE OPENER WITH ANYTHING TO DO)
Also some of them will like try to gossip or have a conversation with me like literally while I’m in the middle of helping a guest. Like omg most returns take like 1 minute tops. You can’t wait one minute to spill the tea? Hold on, jesus.
Or they’ll defect a bunch of stuff during a return, don’t put the stickers on anything, leave the crap all over the counter and like, leave. So I have to sit there and try to figure it out. I’ll put stickers on things as they print. Say someone is returning like a shirt and a couple towels? I’ll scan the receipt, scan the shirt, put the shirt in the softlines cart, scan the towels, put those in the domestics cart, then finish up the return. Someone returning something that’s broken? Scan receipt, scan item, press k1, put sticker on item, quickly tape if needed, throw into salvage box and then finish up the return. It helps keep the counter ~clear~ and not give me more work to do later.

The gossip thing bugs me. I'll be busting my ass in GSA mode and be forced to bring something to guest service, and right then someone will walk up and our GSTM will be gossiping with other TMs. "S/he'll be right with you" is passive aggressive enough that it doesn't pique the guests interest and the GSTM knows I know.

GS is a no-go for GSAs. We don't go up there unless we have to.

But every single time I do, I get stuck, because someone has the hot gossip, and my job isn't as important as it.

If it says on the floor 0 on hand 1 I always say “if we had it it would be in X aisle. We may have one, but it could be in someone’s cart right now about to be bought”

They usually understand that

The gossip thing bugs me. I'll be busting my ass in GSA mode and be forced to bring something to guest service, and right then someone will walk up and our GSTM will be gossiping with other TMs. "S/he'll be right with you" is passive aggressive enough that it doesn't pique the guests interest and the GSTM knows I know.

GS is a no-go for GSAs. We don't go up there unless we have to.

But every single time I do, I get stuck, because someone has the hot gossip, and my job isn't as important as it.

My god, this is my least favorite part of working SFS, is doing Flexible's, and when I get to GS's to scan them in, the GSA's just want to chat up a fuckin storm, mostly about other TM's.

I work like you and would be pissed coming into that mess. First of all, it is not brand. The rules at our desk are that you clean up after yourself. There is to be no mess when you leave at night. If I came into that mess, I would be very vocal to my GSA/GSTL or ETL.

One of the things I like about being at GS is not having to deal with all the gossip. Most of the time I am alone and I prefer it that way. Plus, since I am generally alone I don't have the luxury of spending time gossiping.

One of the things I like about being at GS is not having to deal with all the gossip. Most of the time I am alone and I prefer it that way. Plus, since I am generally alone I don't have the luxury of spending time gossiping.
That’s so weird. I love GS for the opposite reason. At my store there’s always at least 2 of us. I can’t stand being alone I need someone to talk with

I seriously wish they would just train me in GS. I already repack all my own items, do my own defectives, sort stray when I bring it up, etc. I easily spend 30 minutes a day at the desk, probably longer if I’m doing flexes also. (I’m Hardlines). It sucks to have to tell a guest that I’m not allowed to help them. I feel the same way about Starbucks, they always hit the backup button but no one is trained to help them..
weird, at my store if a TM is at guest service for something, there's a line forming, and the TM is available to back up, we let them help even if they have no clue what they're doing - we just guide them through it. Because of this pretty much all of hardlines at my store knows how to do basic returns and grab online pickup orders

I think cashiers should be able to do simple return (receipt or card lookup), and process an OPU. They’re not that difficult and make up the majority of GS. Granted, there are cashiers who can’t right now, but I’m sure that will change given the payrate hike and the push for accountability. It’s all about pushing out the dead weight and retaining performers.
Yea, you really don't want that...

Yea, you really don't want that...
Yeah... I mean, it's great in theory when the one person at service desk is busy with a line and maybe, just maybe, a free cashier goes 'anyone got a basic return?' and leads to a lane, or perhaps there's a mistake during a transaction so the cashier has a little bit of know-how to return said item, but a guest doesn't always understand what a 'simple return' is--- and a cashier doesn't have a Mydevice to double-check DPCI's on a receipt should a guest think 'oh, this is simple' and we just magic numbers without a barcode or non-brand piece of clothing. I always HATED the idea of this and still am against it for many reasons, first being fraud-related stuff and the efficiency of my only 2 cashiers in a town where most of it's shoppers refuse to go over to self-checkout (Simple can become overly complicated REALLY fast when you're not trained properly for the task). Case and point, I had to stop a cashier doing a return when I caught them not only holding up a line, but they were trying to even exchange things not exchanging and the cashier couldn't figure out how to go make it work. (Bless them for trying).

I'm just annoyed that ours keep telling guests on-hand counts when the guest complains that a salesfloor TM told them we were out of something. "Oh, it says we have 2..." They also keep closing the defect cart over an hour before we close, which means we can't bring any defects up that we find after that.
As a cross-trained TM, it's easy to understand that an 'on hand' count isn't in location, so if I see the numbers low I assume it's not even worth saying we have any. If it's a good amount, I'll ask the backroom if it's being ready for a pull and have them check. Certain areas like our Bullseye's Playground crap aren't located in the back so if any aren't stocked but I have 70 on hand I will certainly get the backroom to bring up the box of stuffs.
It's hard getting newer and not crossed trained Service Desk to understand all the communication on the My Device, though I try as a GSA and front-end trainer. It's just simply too busy in most of the day to day to go over everything and hope it sticks. Most of the time the newer TM's just call me over and I teach them in front of the guest as I give the guest the answer, then after the fact I'll give them the tips on how to look, who to call should they need, and find the answers themselves going forward.

And yes, I will tell you if your bin is full or overflowing. If I don't and my ETL's or STL come over, they go 'WHAT'S ALL THIS?' Well, what do you think? I've been calling them every 15 minutes and I've gotten no communication. Then THEY call salesfloor. HELL, guys, if you're too busy (I totally understand, I do) give me a three-tier so I can load it for you and help YOU out. I usually open channel that offer if things are too overwhelming and the higher-ups like that I get them set for success and a quick pickup. And in some cases, I just find a three-tier and do it anyway for my team and let them know it's ready.

I still firmly believe that every cashier should know what every "Fix a Mistake" option does and when to use them (and be empowered to do so), except maybe K4 - Wrong Payment. It irks me when a cashier sends someone over to wait in line at Guest Service when the only thing they need help with is a Gift Receipt or a missed coupon.

I still firmly believe that every cashier should know what every "Fix a Mistake" option does and when to use them (and be empowered to do so), except maybe K4 - Wrong Payment. It irks me when a cashier sends someone over to wait in line at Guest Service when the only thing they need help with is a Gift Receipt or a missed coupon.
I firmly believe the opposite. Missed coupon can be used for so much fraud. It’s caused so much that my store now requires for missed manf coupons the item must be returned and rebought with coupon. Wrong price can get confusing when the system makes you return and rebuy— and holds up the line.

Cashiers should definitely know how to do gift receipts, though.

With the move to fifteen honestly you shouldn’t put up with shitty TMs just performance them out. I think all my cashiers should know all the fix a mistake keys expect for wrong payment. There are fail safes put in for this reason.... if its too much I have to do it, if they’re abusing it AP notices. TLs need to trust their team more and take action when things go wrong and not be afraid about their cashiers making mistakes. For someone who’s job is 75% problem solving I would never get mad at a cashier for attempting to fix a mistake and realizing they did it wrong or forgot how. A guest should never have to stand in two lines for something that was targets or the cashiers fault.. that defeats the whole legendary guest service. They added these functions to be done as a cashier and basically eliminated the difference between being keyed as guest service vs cashier in the POS. If the CEO wants my cashiers to be able to fix a mistake and do simple returns I’m not going to be the one to say no

True but they’re also getting rid of IGS because it makes more sense to have a separate GS to fix problems. Having cashiers do anything beyond reprinting a gift receipt holds up the checklane line.

I would be more ok with it if target had a better/existent training program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back