Archived Is Guest Services driving you insane at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGS just really sucked if your store had a lot of OPUs, since there was no way to keep them anywhere near IGS. It also didn't help that IGS often ended up being the only lane open, so the "I REFUSE TO USE SELF CHECKOUT!" crowd often didn't realize they were normal lanes and would bitch and moan, and the people who had actual GS issues had to wait behind Susan and Brenda checking out their 1,200 items on that tiny belt. I was so happy when we started getting hours for a GSTM and a cashier once our new service desk opened.

True but they’re also getting rid of IGS because it makes more sense to have a separate GS to fix problems. Having cashiers do anything beyond reprinting a gift receipt holds up the checklane line.

I would be more ok with it if target had a better/existent training program.
Fair and I hate IGS for most of those reasons but I’m not saying do everything at the CLs just the simple quick things. I mean I could do a return in the blink of an eye if someone has the receipt

Fair and I hate IGS for most of those reasons but I’m not saying do everything at the CLs just the simple quick things. I mean I could do a return in the blink of an eye if someone has the receipt
Right. Any GSTM could. But without proper training cashiers cannot. And trying to defect something out? It took me at least a month to figure that out

Our GS takes some things for salvage back to Receiving unboxed when they can and should be boxed expecting Receiving to do it. They also put dalbage stickers on CRC items. Oh and until i told them about 5 times they would bring Toss food items such as ground beef, popsicles, frozen meals fresh fruit back to Receiving to sit from Friday oe Saturday till Monday morning when i get in.

Right. Any GSTM could. But without proper training cashiers cannot. And trying to defect something out? It took me at least a month to figure that out
Luckily if a cashier manages to defect something out at the front lanes it’ll print a defect offline slip which I’m sure you know but it basically a fail safe because someone from HS is going to have to finish it anyway and they can either say “continue defecting” or never mind so really it might make some more work but you live and you learn

I am 100% for actually training everyone for GS. but the thing about GS is you need at least a week of actual training, then a few more of like having someone nearby to answer questions before you can really fly on your own

Most stores just throw new cashiers over there or expect new cashiers to do stuff at the lanes and that’s whats a mess

the worst case scenario is that a cashier gives out a few dollars (remember, you can't do more than five without a supervisor's override) to someone who is dishonest. that's a very small price to pay for the overall positive guest experience. it's been best practice for a while to fix all mistakes at the lanes because nobody likes waiting in two lines.

the worst case scenario is that a cashier gives out a few dollars (remember, you can't do more than five without a supervisor's override) to someone who is dishonest. that's a very small price to pay for the overall positive guest experience. it's been best practice for a while to fix all mistakes at the lanes because nobody likes waiting in two lines.
Nope. Missed coupon you can scan any non Target manf coupon and it will require no override.

For some reason target missed coupons do require an override for $5 or more. Frustrating for the missed free $10 GC coupons.

I still firmly believe that every cashier should know what every "Fix a Mistake" option does and when to use them (and be empowered to do so), except maybe K4 - Wrong Payment. It irks me when a cashier sends someone over to wait in line at Guest Service when the only thing they need help with is a Gift Receipt or a missed coupon.
Yes, I do not appreciate a guest being sent over for a gift receipt. It is such an easy thing for the cashier to do. Our store no longer has the missed coupon key.

Could you imagine the sign needed: Returns only if you have a valid receipt. Oh, the guest confusion that would ensue. Gee, let me see if I have my receipt; as they stand there digging in their purse/wallet.

Nope. Missed coupon you can scan any non Target manf coupon and it will require no override.

For some reason target missed coupons do require an override for $5 or more. Frustrating for the missed free $10 GC coupons.
Your registers have a missed coupon option?

I firmly believe the opposite. Missed coupon can be used for so much fraud. It’s caused so much that my store now requires for missed manf coupons the item must be returned and rebought with coupon. Wrong price can get confusing when the system makes you return and rebuy— and holds up the line.

Cashiers should definitely know how to do gift receipts, though.
This. My store loves to use missed coupon, but I’ll only do missed coupon if it’s like one $1 coupon. I’ve tried pointing out how bad missed coupon is, but no one seems to care. I was trained to do missed coupon, so for awhile I used it, but I would write $1 manufacturer coupon used w/ this item on the receipt.

We also adjust missed cartwheel with missed coupon, which is just insane to me, so I don’t usually do it anymore. Tell me how this makes sense: Guest doesn’t scan cartwheel, comes over to the service desk with 15% off certain clothes brand and has a bunch of items. We’re told to do missed coupon, so not only do most gstms hand them cash back, but guests can go return those items for full price. I’ll either wrong price every item or wrong payment it and scan the cartwheel then.

I’m hoping I’ll eventually get through to everyone at my store about the evil of missed coupon.

This. My store loves to use missed coupon, but I’ll only do missed coupon if it’s like one $1 coupon. I’ve tried pointing out how bad missed coupon is, but no one seems to care. I was trained to do missed coupon, so for awhile I used it, but I would write $1 manufacturer coupon used w/ this item on the receipt.

We also adjust missed cartwheel with missed coupon, which is just insane to me, so I don’t usually do it anymore. Tell me how this makes sense: Guest doesn’t scan cartwheel, comes over to the service desk with 15% off certain clothes brand and has a bunch of items. We’re told to do missed coupon, so not only do most gstms hand them cash back, but guests can go return those items for full price. I’ll either wrong price every item or wrong payment it and scan the cartwheel then.

I’m hoping I’ll eventually get through to everyone at my store about the evil of missed coupon.
Yeah that’s terrible. Missed coupon should go away. The only time it’s useful is missed free gift card when you buy X coupon.

We have a relatively new to us GSTL at my store, transferred from another location. He has recently instructed us to use Wrong Payment to apply missed coupons and cartwheels. The guest gets an entirely new receipt with the coupons and Cartwheel offers printed right there. We'll see if there's any sort of backlash for the increase in post-voids.

I've told GSTMs not to do that because guests would use the Visa gift cards and not tell us. I had to point void too many receipts because you can't reload those cards.

I don't think there's a good way to do it. We're supposed to do fix a mistake, wrong price and missed Cartwheel but we're a super so often it's a missed Cartwheel on food. That automatically gets processed as toss. I wish we could just tell them they have to use Cartwheel at checkout. Period. I always check their items because often the things they are buying don't qualify for the offer.

Cashiers should also be instructed to ask if the guest is using cartwheel. That way, it’s on both their minds. Too many times a guest just places their phone on the checkstand and just expects the cashier to notice it. Some communication from both would help alleviate these situations.

Cashiers should also be instructed to ask if the guest is using cartwheel. That way, it’s on both their minds. Too many times a guest just places their phone on the checkstand and just expects the cashier to notice it. Some communication from both would help alleviate these situations.

They’re supposed to. It’s actually in cashier core roles to ask and educate guests about Cartwheel.

They are supposed to...but at my store, they do the RC spiel (sometimes) and then stop. To be fair I’m taking about old timer cashiers who started when cartwheel wasn’t a thing and provably haven’t had any training refreshers.

We have a relatively new to us GSTL at my store, transferred from another location. He has recently instructed us to use Wrong Payment to apply missed coupons and cartwheels. The guest gets an entirely new receipt with the coupons and Cartwheel offers printed right there. We'll see if there's any sort of backlash for the increase in post-voids.
We tried this and got a ton of backlash from guests about us “holding onto their money and not giving it back” due to the pending charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back