Archived is it possible to go from Team Member to Senior Team Lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I work in a ULV. We are down a Senior Team Lead, but instead of promoting from within they are trying to hire from outside. We have at least 3 Team Members on the bench, including myself. Are they not allowed to promote one of us from Team Member to Senior Team Lead?

If you did well enough in the interview they could. But they must feel you're not quite ready for it.

It is possible but not likely. My store was the same way, hired two S.TLs from the outside. Guess what? Both quit or got performanced out. Then they promoted a regular TM from a different store to SRTL. Mind you, I've been on the bench almost a year.

There was an electronics TM at another store that promoted straight to our store as a SRTL. He had a masters in business, but he actually cared and knew what he was doing.

I have not seen it happen before but I'm sure it's possible but probably not likely. I know that is not what you want to hear ,but to me it seems rather unlikely that they would promoted a tm to Sr.TL. It a huge leap in so many aspects. I have great team members on the bench but I could not see them going straight to senior. Senior team lead to some extend is basically an underpaid etl. You are given a lot of responsibility and are expected to run the store the same as any etl. If you think you are ready then challenge your etl/Stl. Get their feedback and see what they have to say.

Usually the outside hire is a person who doesn't quite fit in an ETL role yet but can prove themselves after an 18 month rotation as an Sr.TL. Qualifications aren't always the deciding factor, it's about how well you interview. My advice: study the ETL questions that are posted within this forum, glassdoor.com, and other websites. Memorize your answers so you know exactly what to say. I was prepared for every question they asked and had an awesome answer for each of them. Also don't be afraid to ask questions during the interview. Research what's going on in the company and show that you are following their progress. If you are already invested in Target at the interview then they may become inclined to be invested in you.

Yes it is possible to go from TM to Sr.TL. Having a degree will be key since you probably can't go off of experience. Even if you have years of experience in retail management and you are currently a TM, they'll wonder why you 1) didn't apply for a management position, or 2) why you settled for a TM position? Just be prepared to impress them at the interviews. Make them feel confident in promoting you to Sr.TL.

we have two team members who did it. takes longer, and you could have interned and be an etl. but yes possible

Thanks for the input everyone. I was really just curious, cuz while I can understand why they would think im not ready to be a SR. TL. one of the other TMs on the bench has a lot of retail management experience and would make a great SR. TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back