Is it possible to request to not work inbound?

Is it possible to not be scheduled on the truck?
Were you hired for inbound? If you were, you most likely won't be unscheduled unless you have an injury.

Talk to your TL or ETL about scheduling you in different departments. Make sure to give a valid reason other than "I don't want to be on the truck unload." If you never ask, your answer will always be no.

Part of the job description for GM includes other tasks as assigned. Sometimes this might mean working on inbound if that is where the business need is. We all have aspects of the job we do not like doing but we do them because it needs to be done.

Given you are a DBO (implied in another of your threads), there is a higher expectation for you. You certainly can ask about not being scheduled on inbound anymore; the worst they will say is no. But it does make it seem like you don't want to put in the work when it is needed. In your other thread it sounded like you are only filling in for the inbound TMs who are on vacation so it is not something that would happen every week.

It doesnt hurt to ask we hired a new tm for gm/inbound and he asked to get off inbound. He still does it just less frequently, its really going to depend on your stores needs.

Part of the job description for GM includes other tasks as assigned. Sometimes this might mean working on inbound if that is where the business need is. We all have aspects of the job we do not like doing but we do them because it needs to be done.

Given you are a DBO (implied in another of your threads), there is a higher expectation for you. You certainly can ask about not being scheduled on inbound anymore; the worst they will say is no. But it does make it seem like you don't want to put in the work when it is needed. In your other thread it sounded like you are only filling in for the inbound TMs who are on vacation so it is not something that would happen every week.
I don’t mind the extra work. I’m just worried about having enough time to finish my stuff

I don’t mind the extra work. I’m just worried about having enough time to finish my stuff

I'm going to tell you something that comes with time & experience in retail: you will have days where getting everything done is a piece of cake and you have extra time do get additional things done too; you will also have days where no matter how hard you try, you will not accomplish everything. Both of these kinds of days are inevitable. They will happen, repeatedly.

The best thing you can do is get your routines down to the most efficient you can, knowing some days you won't be able to do it all, whether you are also on inbound or not. For someone with anxiety and feeling like you need to complete it all, this will be a challenge. Part of being a DBO is figuring out what your absolute priorities are and what tasks can be left for another day.

An example: today my store had a big truck. I had twice as many uboats/flats for each of my areas than normal. I also had an endcap in baby I could no longer support because the home location was mostly empty and I had excess diapers which I didn't want to have to backstock. I took the time to swap the endcap since I knew I would not finish all my freight today and no one else was going to fix my endcap, but it was likely others would help with the freight.

But if it really concerns you, talk to your TL about how being on inbound makes you anxious about not finishing your DBO work. Ask for clarification on priorities and be open/honest if you feel it would be better for you to not work inbound.

I don’t
I'm going to tell you something that comes with time & experience in retail: you will have days where getting everything done is a piece of cake and you have extra time do get additional things done too; you will also have days where no matter how hard you try, you will not accomplish everything. Both of these kinds of days are inevitable. They will happen, repeatedly.

The best thing you can do is get your routines down to the most efficient you can, knowing some days you won't be able to do it all, whether you are also on inbound or not. For someone with anxiety and feeling like you need to complete it all, this will be a challenge. Part of being a DBO is figuring out what your absolute priorities are and what tasks can be left for another day.

An example: today my store had a big truck. I had twice as many uboats/flats for each of my areas than normal. I also had an endcap in baby I could no longer support because the home location was mostly empty and I had excess diapers which I didn't want to have to backstock. I took the time to swap the endcap since I knew I would not finish all my freight today and no one else was going to fix my endcap, but it was likely others would help with the freight.

But if it really concerns you, talk to your TL about how being on inbound makes you anxious about not finishing your DBO work. Ask for clarification on priorities and be open/honest if you feel it would be better for you to not work inbound.
I don’t want it to look like i don’t want to do the work. I’m just terrified of not getting it done and looking bad and getting fired. a team member up and quit because he couldn’t take it anymore. he was over sporting goods and pet and he couldn’t keep up. I think the team leaders were harsh with him

Don't tell them you hate it. They will only put you there more and give no hours. That's what those son of bitches do. Plain and simple. That's what they did to me. I complained they took my hours and kept me in position I hated.

Do you have a split shift when you are scheduled inbound? And if so is the inbound Tl pulling up the report for the area you supposed to be in after truck? If your workload is more than 5hr he/she should be sending support after truck is done

Do you have a split shift when you are scheduled inbound? And if so is the inbound Tl pulling up the report for the area you supposed to be in after truck? If your workload is more than 5hr he/she should be sending support after truck is done
I do have a split shift. I was told my push time is 5 hours tomorrow

I do have a split shift. I was told my push time is 5 hours tomorrow
One truck ? Two trucks? Either way inbound lead needs to send you support since you gonna have to zone , do your 141. For 5h workload I would support your area once truck is done . So let the lead know that you will need the support . If it was me I would send you to do your zone after truck while I would have and inbound tm do your 141 pull and stock , and send you straight to freight . Not sure what area you own but either way Is how I would do it .

One truck ? Two trucks? Either way inbound lead needs to send you support since you gonna have to zone , do your 141. For 5h workload I would support your area once truck is done . So let the lead know that you will need the support . If it was me I would send you to do your zone after truck while I would have and inbound tm do your 141 pull and stock , and send you straight to freight . Not sure what area you own but either way Is how I would do it .
They work in infant hardlines.

One truck. Am I able to complete the push? The truck is 2100.

in my group inbound tm's are not allowed to own an area with the exception of the plastics DBO. they come in and unload the truck and leave after 3 hours. scheduled 3hr shifts only. some may be asked to stay later to cover any GM callouts but outside of that - they go home.

One truck. Am I able to complete the push? The truck is 2100.
Depends on how long your unload is gonna take . That size could and should be done in 2h. But even with 2h unload you won’t finish without support . You still have breaks and lunch. So I would speak to the inbound team Lead and come up with the plan . You can even suggest to him a plan like I mentioned above if he/she doesn’t have one.

Depends on how long your unload is gonna take . That size could and should be done in 2h. But even with 2h unload you won’t finish without support . You still have breaks and lunch. So I would speak to the inbound team Lead and come up with the plan . You can even suggest to him a plan like I mentioned above if he/she doesn’t have one.
I usually don’t like to take 15s. I’m just scared I’ll get in trouble if it comes to that point.

in my group inbound tm's are not allowed to own an area with the exception of the plastics DBO. they come in and unload the truck and leave after 3 hours. scheduled 3hr shifts only. some may be asked to stay later to cover any GM callouts but outside of that - they go home.
Is you turnover for inbound high because there is no way i could get my inbound tean to stay for 3 hour shifts?

I just wonder if their truck are 700 pieces or if they do a 3 hour truck and go home.
Yeah true, i just know that all of my inbound tms have been there for a while and expect to get decent hours, theyve all taken on dbo roles of smaller areas or as a second person in an area like frozen. If all they got was 15 hours a week theyd be gone in a heartbeat

Back