Is there a specific way

Is there a specific way you have to ask for red cards or can you do your own? I’m still learning how to ask people and I just got one today, but my ETL keeps giving me tips on what to say because she’s overhearing what I’m saying and I’m just trying to find the right way with people. What I’m wondering is even if I’m asking can I still technically get in trouble or get a coaching because I’m not getting any red card applicants?

No, you can no longer be coached/disciplined/written up for not getting RedCards.
All we can do is ask our Guests.

There's no sure way to get a RedCard from a Guest. There's no script, and you can try your own approach. Here are a few I use:
  • As I total the transaction, I'll ask, "are we saving 5% today with RedCard?"
  • As they're deciding if they want cash back or not and enter their PIN, I'll ask, "have you ever thought about opening a Target RedCard?" and if they say no or "yes, but I haven't yet" I'll ask, "oh, why not? :D" with a smile so it doesn't sound like I'm poking too much, just genuinely curious what's stopping them. About 30% will say something along the lines of "I don't want another credit card" or "I don't think I'd be approved" so I will immediately bring up the Debit RedCard and how it has the same benefits but without the credit check. That at least gets them thinking about it.
  • When there are those "Get approved for RedCard and get x-amount off a future qualifying purchase of $100 or more" promotions, I'll open with, "do you have the RedCard? If not, I want to remind you about this promotion" (while I point at the signage) "which is good through" (the date it ends).
The requirement is that we mention the benefits (namely the 5% off) and promote it. How you do it is completely up to you.

You'll be told 'no' many times and you'll get so used to it, it won't bother you. And when you get that Yes, it feels pretty good.

I ended up getting two today, after like 40 no’s the debit option really helps.
No, you can no longer be coached/disciplined/written up for not getting RedCards.
All we can do is ask our Guests.

There's no sure way to get a RedCard from a Guest. There's no script, and you can try your own approach. Here are a few I use:
  • As I total the transaction, I'll ask, "are we saving 5% today with RedCard?"
  • As they're deciding if they want cash back or not and enter their PIN, I'll ask, "have you ever thought about opening a Target RedCard?" and if they say no or "yes, but I haven't yet" I'll ask, "oh, why not? :D" with a smile so it doesn't sound like I'm poking too much, just genuinely curious what's stopping them. About 30% will say something along the lines of "I don't want another credit card" or "I don't think I'd be approved" so I will immediately bring up the Debit RedCard and how it has the same benefits but without the credit check. That at least gets them thinking about it.
  • When there are those "Get approved for RedCard and get x-amount off a future qualifying purchase of $100 or more" promotions, I'll open with, "do you have the RedCard? If not, I want to remind you about this promotion" (while I point at the signage) "which is good through" (the date it ends).
The requirement is that we mention the benefits (namely the 5% off) and promote it. How you do it is completely up to you.

You'll be told 'no' many times and you'll get so used to it, it won't bother you. And when you get that Yes, it feels pretty good.

If you can do the math, it’s really effective to use the dollar amount “wanna save $12 today with your target RedCard?”

sounds much better than 5%

So thankful that we don't have to explain Circle AND Red cards. Since you can't move on without bringing up circle, I just go with that but if I see someone who is a semi regular and hasn't given me a hard NO before, I will bring up getting or using a Red Card.

For those that say they downloaded cartwheel in the past and it never worked for them, I do mention that they do updates every few months and may have caught the glitch that kept it from working for them and they may want to download again and give it another try.

Back