Archived Is there a thread about Thread Up yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine anything worse from a GSTM perspective than having to take in whatever junk the guest drops off and wants to be paid for.

After hurricane Rita years ago, I was helping sort donations at a drop-off center.
Because I could sort & size, I was running a group handling clothing.
I could NOT believe the absolute TRASH people dropped off in the name of 'helping hurricane victims'.
It was like they cleaned out their closets, threw it in a trash bag & dropped it off while demanding a receipt for tax purposes.
Much of it wasn't usable or practical - stained party dresses, disco apparel, worn-out high heels, etc.

It's an "online only" thing I guess.

And yes they only accept high end brands they don't sell at Target like Calvin Klein.

They give you credit and have stated they will only accept about 50 % of donations.

They send you a free kit that will allow you to send in your clothes for free or you can bring it in to be dropped off at "participating locations."

They were talking about it today on my local news. I live in Minneapolis. So perhaps that's why I am hearing about it now?

Either way I think it's a good idea whether you get credit or not because most of the time I'm just happy to be rid of all the excess clothes in my closet!

Normally I just donate it. Now I can try to get some credit first. Why not?

And no it's not unusable stuff either. Its clothes I can't fit into or my kids baby clothes.

Only MN stores accept drop-offs. I'm guessing the company (thredup) is there. I thought it was a cool idea, but all my never-worn clothes are from target and the list of brands that aren't accepted include tgt brands lol. Oh well. They take F21, though which is interesting.

I hope they don't start this foolishness at my store. We have already enough trouble with recyclables!

"We accept kids' and women's clothing, shoes and accessories from top name-brands such as J.Crew, Gymboree, Mini Boden, Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade New York, DVF, Rebecca Minkoff and Marc by Marc Jacobs."

tumblr_m96i8f3Guz1rw5yn2o1_500.gif

tumblr_m96i8f3Guz1rw5yn2o2_500.gif

The operating words are "Fill your Clean Out Bag with high-quality, children's and women's clothing, handbags, and shoes."
So few people seem to understand what that actually means.
Because after all, most folks who wear those brands wouldn't be caught dead wearing Target brands.
And most team members can't afford those brands unless they shop thrift.

Our GSTL found out about this today. His reaction was pretty much "no fucking way is this for real? No." Did not seem too happy about the mess its going to create :v

Our GSTL found out about this today. His reaction was pretty much "no fucking way is this for real? No." Did not seem too happy about the mess its going to create :v

The clothes can only be brought to some select stores in MN, so I suppose unless you are one of those stores it won't be a big problem haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back