Archived Is there no point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reapplying at a different Target if I got terminated for misdemeanor embezzlement at a different Target?

I know it sounds stupid to even think about applying with that on you. And I know it was super stupid of me. It was 5 years ago, I was young, stupid, and did it to help my sick mom (any excuse is bad but I was in a bad point in my life and was an idiot).

I did pay back everything, did whatever the court asked and I got the case dismissed (however expungement/dismissials work in California). I haven't gotten in trouble at all and it is the only thing bad I ever did in my whole life.

But of course Target will know my history, and I just am at a point where I really need a job. See that my local Target is hiring but not sure if it's a stupid idea to apply. It all but sounds stupid...

Embezzlement is likely to have you marked in the system as non-rehireable. Even if it was dismissed, prospective employers are going to view that as a huge red flag. Be up front about it if you’re asked. Best of luck with your job search.

I’m sorry but are you fucking kidding me lol

Okay so to be real, you are marked as non rehireable with the reason being major conduct issue/theft. Every Target will see that in their system. You’ll never work for Target again.

I’m sorry but are you fucking kidding me lol

Okay so to be real, you are marked as non rehireable with the reason being major conduct issue/theft. Every Target will see that in their system. You’ll never work for Target again.

Lolol thought so. Oh well.

Embezzlement is likely to have you marked in the system as non-rehireable. Even if it was dismissed, prospective employers are going to view that as a huge red flag. Be up front about it if you’re asked. Best of luck with your job search.

For other employers, what if I'm not asked about it though?

I was told if it asks if I've been convicted of anything, I'm legally able to answer no.

Unless the questions asks specifically "include case dismissed/expungements" ? Is that what you mean? Or do some interviewers straight up ask about this?

Learn from your mistake. Be honest on your application. Spot won't take you back. A small business might hire you.

Learn from your mistake. Be honest on your application. Spot won't take you back. A small business might hire you.
Oh well @Spot I guess.

I'm not really sure about the honesty part tho? Since it's been dismissed, I'm legally able to say no I've never been convicted and I wouldn't be lying by the law, unless the question directly asks me of dismissals/expungements.

And believe me, I've learned and have been dealing with depression and anxiety over it every day since.

For other employers, what if I'm not asked about it though?

I was told if it asks if I've been convicted of anything, I'm legally able to answer no.

Unless the questions asks specifically "include case dismissed/expungements" ? Is that what you mean? Or do some interviewers straight up ask about this?
If a prospective employee contacts target inquiring about your time with us, all they’ll be told is that you’re non rehireable.

Having said that, I know there’s like an industry shared database of people to not hire due to stuff like that; I have no idea if we’re a part of that though.

If a prospective employee contacts target inquiring about your time with us, all they’ll be told is that you’re non rehireable.

Having said that, I know there’s like an industry shared database of people to not hire due to stuff like that; I have no idea if we’re a part of that though.

Honestly feels like there's no point in my future with my one mistake. But that's what I get. I guess all I can do is hope for the best and live positively for the rest of my life.

Thank you for the response.

You have GOT to be shitting me! 😂😂😂

Okay, you know what, maybe this was a little mean. I just can't imagine trying to reapply at an employer I was fired from for stealing in the fairly recent past, rather than somewhere else, but I guess maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Try a smaller non chain store, if you have a solid history there you'll be able to get over it.

Seems really hard because it seems like there are no non chain stores in my area or California. Everything's all super well known chain. I appreciate the advice.

Before you apply, try talking to HR at the store. Explain how it came to pass and all you've done to make restitution and change yourself since then. You might find someone willing to take a chance. Good luck!

I would recommend moving on to other industries that require money handling.
The charge might have been expunged from your record but there is a good chance it will still show up when they do a background check.
Apply for kitchen jobs, chefs make good money, or driving jobs.
There are plenty of good jobs in carpentry and plumbing.
Don't focus on retail, you will just be disappointed.
This is not the end of your life, just a sign to move on to something else.

No, he should lie. Why tell them a sure fire not to hire you?

Former HR person here - different industry, but still - and I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you know someone who can do a background check on you - potential employers aren't the only ones who do them - you can find out what will show up. (You should pay the fee for it because they aren't free.) You might even be able to order one for yourself - not something I've ever done, so I don't know. But government agencies aren't perfect and sometimes expungements still show up even though they shouldn't. I think you should find out if your record has indeed been expunged - it's not a trivial thing and if you don't know for certain, this is going to continue to haunt you. Dismissal is not the same as expungement.
If I interviewed someone for a job that required handling finances in any form with a record like yours, I'd probably be leery. I appreciate that you've been clean since then and that you made restitution and did everything as ordered by the court. I'd hire you for another job, assuming you're qualified, but not money-handling stuff. Prove to me that you're a changed person, and then I'd consider moving you into a more responsible position.
I really doubt any Target would hire you; but that doesn't mean you're not hirable. If this is still on your record, do NOT try to lie about it in the interview. (This is why you must find out what's on your record.) Trust me on this one - no matter how great you interview, if you lie about your past and the company finds out when they do a background check, your application goes in the trash. It happened to me with one person I thought was perfect for the job - only to find out he had a conviction for assault. If he lied to me about that, what else was he hiding? Nope, not going there. But I also hired someone who had a conviction on her record for petty theft years previously - she was honest with me, admitted she'd been stupid, and she'd been clean since then. She turned out to be an excellent employee.

Nope, Target will simply confirm your dates of employment - not that you were termed or why.
Some prospective employers might ask if the former employer had the opp to rehire the candidate, would they.
All the former can say is "no" & it's up to the prospective employer to ask the candidate why & gauge the truthfulness of their answer.

In reapplying at a different Target if I got terminated for misdemeanor embezzlement at a different Target?

I know it sounds stupid to even think about applying with that on you. And I know it was super stupid of me. It was 5 years ago, I was young, stupid, and did it to help my sick mom (any excuse is bad but I was in a bad point in my life and was an idiot).

I did pay back everything, did whatever the court asked and I got the case dismissed (however expungement/dismissials work in California). I haven't gotten in trouble at all and it is the only thing bad I ever did in my whole life.

But of course Target will know my history, and I just am at a point where I really need a job. See that my local Target is hiring but not sure if it's a stupid idea to apply. It all but sounds stupid...
Just out of curiousity. Did you think the cameras above the registers were for decoration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back