Archived Is This Allowed @ Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes*.

*Depending on dollar amount, or if the person is a repeat offender. A single gallon of milk? Nope. Someone who steals a dozen cans of baby formula? Yep! Someone who steals a small dollar amount but does it time and time again? Yep! Anyone we apprehend we push to file charges on. It's up to the actual prosecutor to decide whether to prosecute them or not (99% of the time they do).

They have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Blaming me for catching someone stealing is like blaming the victim of a crime. Target is the victim of shoplifting, which creates shortage and costs the company money, which forces the company to raise prices to make up for what was lost. So, part of my job is to reduce shoplifting happening at my Target. I'm proud of the job I do.
Hah they'd never raise prices.. remember they're competing with Walmart AND Kmart. What they would do though is probably understaff the store and expect more and pay much less. I think some people take their job too seriously that they become pets for the corporation.

Why do so many people not get this? If they think the punishment is too harsh for this kind of stuff, then try to change it, don't just complain when existing laws are enforced by police, security, and prosecutors. Instead it's just bitch, bitch, bitch, "you shouldn't be stopping them" crap, nothing constructive at all.
I didn't say he shouldn't be stopping them. He just said what he did made him feel great and I said that I thought it was sad because even the theft of a $1 item can put a dent in your record and could take years to be rehired which is stupid and it is why recent laws were enforced so that there wouldn't be that discrimination when hiring.

Hah they'd never raise prices.. remember they're competing with Walmart AND Kmart. What they would do though is probably understaff the store and expect more and pay much less. I think some people take their job too seriously that they become pets for the corporation.
Actually they do raise prices to account for shortage. Walmart does it. Kmart does it. Even gas stations do it.

Retailers know theft is gonna happen and set prices to account for it.

Is it allowed to tackle people in AP? I saw the TPS at my store do it once and asked him but he just said "what the cameras don't see doesn't hurt you" whatever that means..

Is it allowed to tackle people in AP? I saw the TPS at my store do it once and asked him but he just said "what the cameras don't see doesn't hurt you" whatever that means..
That means it is not allowed and he knows that ETL-AP will take his word over the shoplifter's if it is not caught on camera.

I think its sad. Do you apprehend single moms who shoplift milk or baby stuff? A shoplift stays on re cord for years and makes it hard for that person to find a job.

I agree that poverty and lack of opportuni creates the conditions for crime but the fact is that most of the shoplifting that AP sees fall into a few categories.

Crimes of opportunity, folks boosting stuff because they see a chance.
Sometimes they even have the money to pay for it.
Those people are fairly easy to deter.

Thrill seekers, usually kids though I know people who have stores next to old folks homes that say it can be issue there to.
This can be expensive because that's when they do things like walk out with your entire Beats display.
Also easy to deter but they will be back.

People feeding a habit, covers a lot of ages and backgrounds.
These folks tend to go high end but they usually specialize because they know what sells and usually have a place to sell it.
They have a pattern and can be very good but since they keep coming back can be caught.

The professionals, teams of three to five.
These guys are a bitch to catch and have things worked out.
They case a store and know what they are up against before they even start.

The people who are shoplifting to feed their families or so low on that list you would be surprised.
I've even read about a couple of AP people for a major grocery store chain who when they caught a guy stealing for his kids because they were living in their car, bought them enough food to last for weeks.
That's how often they ran into that as the real reason people shoplifted.

private-category-258troll_spray-big.jpg

Meaning that his word is worth more than a shoplifters in front of his boss and/or a judge. So if there is no evidence beyond testimony as to how he stopped the shoplifter, he can lie and still be fine. This is the type of trash you don't want working in any position of authority like security or law enforcement. Some of the things required for those positions are ethics and honesty, because a dishonest or unethical person (such as your TPS) will use that to their advantage because they are assumed to be honest and ethical.

If he tackled someone near the front doors you don't think one of the numerous cameras in that area wouldn't have caught it?

I remember over last summer there was a shop lifter who stole around 300 dollars worth of stuff in a garbage bag (if I recall correctly) and our cart attendant saw the guy running out into his getaway car and luckily there was a cop on the other side of the lot and he ran like a bat out of hell to get to the cop to tell him what happened, the cop came in to review the security footage and eventually that got him in north east philly.

Its kind of sad that anyone considers it a rush to apprehend a shoplifter. Shoplifting is wrong, but that's just plain sad.

I always look at people in retail security and jobs like asset protection and wonder how many times they took the civil service exam to be a real cop and failed, so they became asset protection. I always laugh when I hear asset protection. Its just another name for rent-a-cop, Its about as funny as hearing one ap refer to there counterpart at another store as their "business partner." Just calling a janitor a "custodial engineer." Just a fancy name or term to pump them up in a sad job.

Its kind of sad that anyone considers it a rush to apprehend a shoplifter. Shoplifting is wrong, but that's just plain sad.

I always look at people in retail security and jobs like asset protection and wonder how many times they took the civil service exam to be a real cop and failed, so they became asset protection. I always laugh when I hear asset protection. Its just another name for rent-a-cop, Its about as funny as hearing one ap refer to there counterpart at another store as their "business partner." Just calling a janitor a "custodial engineer." Just a fancy name or term to pump them up in a sad job.

Which AP team member caught you stealing? @garbage @HardlinesGuy??

First off, if you think everyone in AP is a wannabe/failed cop, you're mistaken. I had interest in Law Enforcement, but also enjoyed working retail. RETAIL Security is not Law Enforcement and we are not cops, I fully understand and accept that. I don't want to be a cop, I wanted to be AP. I like ensuring the safety of the TM and Guests, preventing theft, investigating fraud, and preventing shortage.
Second, many cops start off as AP, they didn't flunk out of the academy, they are usually in it and doing both.

Maybe if you weren't so damn easy to apprehend, it would be a rush. Next time don't get caught.

Did you make an account just to troll about AP
Yep. He has a personal vendetta against someone in AP at a store, and sent a PM to a bunch of people on here with personal info and pictures of that person.

First off, if you think everyone in AP is a wannabe/failed cop, you're mistaken. I had interest in Law Enforcement, but also enjoyed working retail. RETAIL Security is not Law Enforcement and we are not cops, I fully understand and accept that. I don't want to be a cop, I wanted to be AP. I like ensuring the safety of the TM and Guests, preventing theft, investigating fraud, and preventing shortage.
Second, many cops start off as AP, they didn't flunk out of the academy, they are usually in it and doing both.
Agreeded! I would defiantly be AP if i were offered it and not want to be a cop. And if people don't believe they are Police ready they can always try Ap.

Yep. He has a personal vendetta against someone in AP at a store, and sent a PM to a bunch of people on here with personal info and pictures of that person.
How did get the personal info? Are the mods aware of this?

Last edited:
I never wanted to be a cop.

I got this job after moving from another state. Needed to recertify/relicense in my original profession for the state I'm in now.

But I'm enjoying the job for the moment and I'm willing to see where this ship goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back