Archived Is This Allowed @ Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly why team members shouldnt be playing cop. People are all different and they can react differently to being caught redhanded or if they are innocent. I know I wouldnt like anyone taking pics of my license plate and would want to beat up anyone that did.
We take pictures of guests plates all the time.

I gotta ask...

Is getting a actual pic of the license plate necessary? Couldn't one just write it down?
Taking a picture is quicker and easier anyway. Didn't have pen and paper handy. Did have cellphone in pocket.

Also not easily intimidated by potential partner with baseball bat :p. I am small, 5'10" 135 lbs., but practiced martial arts for years upon parents urging because when I was young I got my ass beat on a regular basis because I was very small (was 5'2" sophomore year of high school, shot up junior year). I'd pick krav maga and a high tolerance for pain over a baseball bat every time.

Last edited:
When I was new I asked a Cart Attendant to grab a plate of a van that was parked at the edge of the parking lot. The suspect was inside the store and knew my face so I was watching from a camera. Unfortunately the PTZ couldn't reach the vehicle and I couldn't just leave the store to grab it. I wanted the plate so I could file on the guy, since he had used weapons before. The Cart attendant went out like I asked and pulled out his iPhone and took a pic of the plate, pretty standard stuff. What wasn't standard was the suspects partner in the vehicle, who I or the CA didn't see.

I probably broke a record running out to that parking lot, because that suspects partner got out of that vehicle with a metal baseball bat. I was able to cool down the situation by lying and telling the man with the bat that our CA was "special" and "likes collecting pictures of license plates". Thank God most thieves aren't intelligent.

Since then, I've never once asked anyone in my store to do anything more then observe a guest and report back to me. The CA actually applied to become a TPS in my store and is now a APTL a few states away. To this day, states that the moment in the parking lot really made him love AP.

I would think walking past the subject vehicle with the cameras video running would be a little less conspicuous.

Had our snow plow vendor take one of these out a few years ago. Id hate to see what he did to his suspension.

You have a snow plow vendor?

Since my store is in a plaza, the development company that owns the plaza is responsible for parking lot maintenance, but the planets have to be aligned for them to send a plow our way. With the way people drive around here, I'm astonished there aren't more accidents in the plaza.

Those covers were part of a summer promotion. Big waste of money.

Once upon a time, AP at Target used to be just as militant as walmart ap. Personally known a couple guys that were stabbed and got an arm broken.

Target ap are not "well compensated", and it is not worth their health.

You have a snow plow vendor?

Since my store is in a plaza, the development company that owns the plaza is responsible for parking lot maintenance, but the planets have to be aligned for them to send a plow our way. With the way people drive around here, I'm astonished there aren't more accidents in the plaza.

I think my store hired some local people to shovel snow and had SFT salt it after.

Things get out of hand easily in all retail environments. Some years back in Boynton Beach, Fl a mentally challenged young man stole some very minor item and employees there who liked to 'bust shoplifters' chased him down and piled on him in the parking lot. The man couldn't breathe and died. Things get out of hand everywhere, but it comes down to leadership at whatever store you are at.

Is this a Target thing or what? Because I can't find any source.

Does it happen on a wide basis? Nope, but there are some cowboys out there. When I started with Target as a TPS back in 2007, I spent a couple days working at an inner city store in Minneapolis as support help. Being pretty fresh on the job I was pretty up to date on the AP Directives. I was blown away how much they completely disregarded the rules at this store.

The two biggest things I noticed were that they would frequently call in other store team members, in particular a very large male ETL, to assist in apprehensions as well as the fact that they would, just as this story, put their hands directly on subjects right away as they were identifying themselves as Target security during an apprehension. Granted, that was on the trailing end of the "heyday" of AP where they were pretty much given as wide of a latitude as possible in getting apprehensions, but still it was quite surprising that they were so flagrantly disregarding 2 very important directives.

How hard is it go into AP? I've been in the backroom for about a year and I'm getting really bored of it. I want something with more action.

How hard is it go into AP? I've been in the backroom for about a year and I'm getting really bored of it. I want something with more action.
AP has action (sometimes) but that shouldn't be the reason you want to get in the position.

Talk to your AP leader (ETL or TL). Express your interest and go from there. I would leave out the fact your looking for more action. It will probably hurt your chances more than anything.

AP has action (sometimes) but that shouldn't be the reason you want to get in the position.

Talk to your AP leader (ETL or TL). Express your interest and go from there. I would leave out the fact your looking for more action. It will probably hurt your chances more than anything.
AP is something you really have to have a heart for. Beware one mistake can get you fired and sued or arrested in some cases. In AP you're not being micromanaged. For example no one is saying "POGguy can you grab some push for me?" You're trusted to work and act. You cant be scared to make apps. I see it all the time someone will join AP as a TPS or AP-TL and is scared to catch people. Durning a APP i had a TPS freeze on me..when we had to go hands on :/ He had to switch departments. Pressure is high to show results and reduce shortage. I had people send me death threats and show up to my house after charging them. Its scary...I had to move and make sure all my stuff is unlisted.

Last edited:
Says the person who's not in AP and doesn't know what it's like :)

That said, don't tell your leaders you want to be in AP so you can see some action. You won't get the job.

What is it like in AP? My TPS says it's fun, but he also says it can be the most boring workcenter at times. Does that ring true to your experience?

Initially, I turned down being hired as AP. That was the position offered. It was only 20 hours a week: I didn't want to wear the costume and stand around at the entrance doing nothing.

Just for shits and giggles, I've been security in several bars in my younger days. We could whoop some ass back then, lol.

What is it like in AP? My TPS says it's fun, but he also says it can be the most boring workcenter at times. Does that ring true to your experience?

It's amazing. Best job in retail. But like any job, it has its ups and downs. When I was a TPS/Senior TPS, there were moments where it could be boring. Like if I was working a late shift on Wednesday and there were three guests in the store.

Now that I'm an APTL though, there are a lot less "boring" moments. That's because even if it's Wednesday night and nothing is going on, I have a lot more responsibility and more to do than just stand at the door or watch guests. I'll take advantage of those quiet times to dig into internals, or examine the store's shortage numbers, or work on a project that I've been given by my STL or APBP, etc etc.

But I'll let you in on a little (not-so) secret. Nothing beats the rush of apprehending a shoplifter. At least nothing in retail!

Years ago....I witnessed a couple takedowns by AP. But that was when they were allowed and the circumstances warranted it.

It's amazing. Best job in retail. But like any job, it has its ups and downs. When I was a TPS/Senior TPS, there were moments where it could be boring. Like if I was working a late shift on Wednesday and there were three guests in the store.

Now that I'm an APTL though, there are a lot less "boring" moments. That's because even if it's Wednesday night and nothing is going on, I have a lot more responsibility and more to do than just stand at the door or watch guests. I'll take advantage of those quiet times to dig into internals, or examine the store's shortage numbers, or work on a project that I've been given by my STL or APBP, etc etc.

But I'll let you in on a little (not-so) secret. Nothing beats the rush of apprehending a shoplifter. At least nothing in retail!
I think its sad. Do you apprehend single moms who shoplift milk or baby stuff? A shoplift stays on re cord for years and makes it hard for that person to find a job.

I think its sad. Do you apprehend single moms who shoplift milk or baby stuff? A shoplift stays on re cord for years and makes it hard for that person to find a job.
I don't see target trying to prosecute for that. Bigger fish to fry so to speak. But it's still theft and a choice that person made. Live up to the consequences.

I don't see target trying to prosecute for that. Bigger fish to fry so to speak. But it's still theft and a choice that person made. Live up to the consequences.
Of course we prosecute....we don't have a choice if it's over a certain dollar amount. We don't run a charity.

That's why I said live up to the consequences.....if they do decide to prosecute.

But out of curiosity, when's the last time you apped someone for a gallon of milk? Not defending it, but I find it unlikely Target would even waste their time. Where I'm at police won't even pursue charges if it's under $50 (used to be $20).

Most they'll do in a situation like that around here is scare them, recover the merchandise and let them know they aren't welcome back (trespass if needed).

Last edited:

Yes*.

*Depending on dollar amount, or if the person is a repeat offender. A single gallon of milk? Nope. Someone who steals a dozen cans of baby formula? Yep! Someone who steals a small dollar amount but does it time and time again? Yep! Anyone we apprehend we push to file charges on. It's up to the actual prosecutor to decide whether to prosecute them or not (99% of the time they do).

They have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Blaming me for catching someone stealing is like blaming the victim of a crime. Target is the victim of shoplifting, which creates shortage and costs the company money, which forces the company to raise prices to make up for what was lost. So, part of my job is to reduce shoplifting happening at my Target. I'm proud of the job I do.

Blaming me for catching someone stealing is like blaming the victim of a crime.
Why do so many people not get this? If they think the punishment is too harsh for this kind of stuff, then try to change it, don't just complain when existing laws are enforced by police, security, and prosecutors. Instead it's just bitch, bitch, bitch, "you shouldn't be stopping them" crap, nothing constructive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back