Archived Is this just my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my etl ap told everybody that we no longer accept credit as payment for visa,mastercard,amex giftcards. I was wondering is this something he made up or was this a corporate decision.

So, my etl ap told everybody that we no longer accept credit as payment for visa,mastercard,amex giftcards. I was wondering is this something he made up or was this a corporate decision.

IRRC.

Refills to Target (RedBird?) Amex Debit Cards, with a Credit Card are banned. And I think refills to some other card (I can't remember the name) are banned as well.

POS will print a little slip saying something like "the payment method used, could not be accepted for this transaction" or something along those lines.

I'd be interested, if he really means the actual Visa/Amex/MC Gift Cards. Those we're a huge problem for us, in our district. Thieves would come in with stolen credit cards, and swipe until the card declined. That.... and than there we're people with debit cards with stolen tax refunds, buying gift cards.

It's to try and stop "sliders."

They steal credit cards and use them to buy prepaids.

Why don't they just require a picture ID that matches the name on the card in order to purchase gift cards?

Also another method of churning with the Redbird is to buy the Visa/MC/Amex/etc giftcards that can be run as debit cards and using those.
So they might be trying to preemptively stop those but it's moot because you can just get them literally anywhere else.

They were talking about the regular prepaids. We used to ask for id's but district made us stop, because it is against targets contract with visa,mc,amex, and discover to do so.

They were talking about the regular prepaids. We used to ask for id's but district made us stop, because it is against targets contract with visa,mc,amex, and discover to do so.

I whole heartedly agree with this decision. When using a credit card, I find it offensive when someone asks for my ID. it's a breach of my privacy to hand over identifying documentation to someone who may want to steal it. For this reason, I only give passport identification and not state or drivers license ID anymore.

I whole heartedly agree with this decision. When using a credit card, I find it offensive when someone asks for my ID. it's a breach of my privacy to hand over identifying documentation to someone who may want to steal it. For this reason, I only give passport identification and not state or drivers license ID anymore.

YES. Finally someone who agrees with me. I am always given a weird look or told "It's for your safety" when I get asked for my ID and I hesitate. I just don't think we should be living in a society where identification is required to make purchases. If that became a requirement everywhere, I'd go back to using cash.

YES. Finally someone who agrees with me. I am always given a weird look or told "It's for your safety" when I get asked for my ID and I hesitate. I just don't think we should be living in a society where identification is required to make purchases. If that became a requirement everywhere, I'd go back to using cash.

That's 100% correct. There's absolutely no reason to ID, especially with the abundance of fake ID's. I've walked out of stores for being asked to provide identification. Full cart? Too bad. Don't require something from me that can be used to ruin my life.

That's 100% correct. There's absolutely no reason to ID, especially with the abundance of fake ID's. I've walked out of stores for being asked to provide identification. Full cart? Too bad. Don't require something from me that can be used to ruin my life.
Overreact much?

A cashier looking at the picture and reading the name on your drivers license and then comparing it to you and the name on your credit card cannot possibly ruin your life. They are doing it because the common thief is not going to take the time to make a fake ID after stealing a credit card.

And leaving an entire cart of groceries instead of the one item that requires ID? All that is doing is causing more work for the average employee who now has to put all that shit back. Not to mention your time wasted picking it out.

Overreact much?

A cashier looking at the picture and reading the name on your drivers license and then comparing it to you and the name on your credit card cannot possibly ruin your life. They are doing it because the common thief is not going to take the time to make a fake ID after stealing a credit card.

And leaving an entire cart of groceries instead of the one item that requires ID? All that is doing is causing more work for the average employee who now has to put all that shit back. Not to mention your time wasted picking it out.

It's not just one item. The occurrence I am speaking of is at a second hand clothing store, Plato's Closet. In order to accept a debit card, they required picture ID. I don't view it as an overreaction because my identity has never been stolen. It is not my fault their managers don't understand the common rules of accepting credit cards. One should read such rules before installing a payment gateway.

We started denying credit as payment for all third party gift cards and reloads about a month ago. We would see large groups of people come in and buy prepaids with sketchy cards on a daily basis and now we see one or two people maybe once a week anymore. Seems to work.

LOOOOOOOL. Maaaan and when the day comes and someone racks up a $1,000 charge against your card you're gonna throw a huge hissy fit at the store for not having checked for their ID.

You sir, or ma'am, are setting yourself up to be a victim of a crime and you have no one to blame but yourself with that attitude.

LOOOOOOOL. Maaaan and when the day comes and someone racks up a $1,000 charge against your card you're gonna throw a huge hissy fit at the store for not having checked for their ID.

You sir, or ma'am, are setting yourself up to be a victim of a crime and you have no one to blame but yourself with that attitude.
Not really. It will be reimbursed by the bank that issues the card. Headache? Yes. But these merchants aren't supposed to be hassling their customers for ID, and I expect to not be asked beyond comparing signatures.

That's 100% correct. There's absolutely every reason to ID, especially with the abundance of theives. I've walked out of stores for not being asked to provide identification. 60 inch tv? Too bad. You should require id from me for something that can be used to ruin my life.

See what I did there?

That's 100% correct. There's absolutely every reason to ID, especially with the abundance of theives. I've walked out of stores for not being asked to provide identification. 60 inch tv? Too bad. You should require id from me for something that can be used to ruin my life.

See what I did there?
Except merchants are not supposed to be asking you. So walking out of a store for not going against their terms of agreement with the credit card companies is silly.

Official Target Policy was... if the signature panel, is not signed... and the transaction was suspicious, a team member could ask for additional identification (such as state issued id/driver's license)

Technically, we're not allowed to ask for a driver's license, if the signature panel is signed. It's against Target's merchant agreement with the credit card networks (Visa/MC/Amex/Discover).

I'm not sure if that's still in effect or not. But... we ran with it, quite a few times at my store. ;)

Curious, any of you ever performed a Code-10 call from your store?

Here is what a code 10 call is from Visa site:
What is Code 10?
The Code 10 authorization request alerts the card issuer to the suspicious activity—without alerting the customer. During a Code 10 call, you will speak to the card issuer's special operator, who will provide instructions on any necessary action. This type of authorization request is the most likely to result in a call to law enforcement.

I have not done one.

See what I did there?

Nope. Nope. Nope. You'll lose my business. I'll go elsewhere that doesn't invade my privacy. When I can spend thousands upon thousands online without providing a shred of identification, this approach is going to hurt you.

Omg we wanted to get rid of those Damn prepaid cards so bad at the gas station. We were required to ask for ID on anything over 50 bucks and had to ring 1 card at a time.

People were having us load up the card, ask to look at the card, drop it, switch it out with an empty one , give it back and say they changed their mind. By the time we would try to cancel the card, the money was gone because they had someone on the phone with them the whole time. It took them seconds!!

So we obviously refused to reload cards and just gave them new ones.

I'm not really sure how the whole thing worked but wow.

Also had a chick who would go around the lakes stealing people's purses come into my store. I asked for her ID when she wanted to buy a 200 dollar gift card. Didn't pay much attention and bam. A lady comes in a hour later with the police saying this was the last place someone used her card!!!

I felt terrible....

Gas stations get hit hard with this shit.

The card will say on the back what form of payment you can use.

that sounds like something a paranoid fool would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back