Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

Has anyone lost hours with the new rollout? I went from making close to 30 hrs a week to working only two 7.50 hour shifts. It's so confusing. They claim to be getting some 200 hrs just for market sooo...my availability is completely open, I know a few others are not, so what the hell?

no. many TMs got more hours going to market. um ... ask? and you should still be able to cover shifts for your old work center?

previous market TL didnt finish doing the reviews. for ANY of their TMs. theyre all half way done and they were submitted as done. i wasnt looking forward to my review as it was ... so now im especially sure im screwed!

previous market TL didnt finish doing the reviews. for ANY of their TMs. theyre all half way done and they were submitted as done. i wasnt looking forward to my review as it was ... so now im especially sure im screwed!
Don't worry, your raise was almost certainly determined by the ETLs before the review was written.

Does anyone know if we can order the black banana tree on SAP and if so what's it called?

I can confirm it's orderable, we just got a replacement one because the old one's wheels broke off because some people in my store sucked but anyways I don't know what it's called try looking on Workbench for market rollout and it might be listed there

I can confirm it's orderable, we just got a replacement one because the old one's wheels broke off because some people in my store sucked but anyways I don't know what it's called try looking on Workbench for market rollout and it might be listed there

I think the trees are just shitty quality. We've went through four in the last year.

Don't worry, your raise was almost certainly determined by the ETLs before the review was written.

oh ... so is that how it works?

in any case, were doing well with our tree. in fact, with the trees and the baskets by checklanes weve upped our order from 12 to 25.

Today we tried the new system. What a mess! I was assigned to push all of dairy by myself while the other team member pushed produce. Everyone else on my team was in dry. We were unable to get everything done and had to have outside help pushing freezer. There was still more dairy to be pushed when I left.

Today we tried the new system. What a mess! I was assigned to push all of dairy by myself while the other team member pushed produce. Everyone else on my team was in dry. We were unable to get everything done and had to have outside help pushing freezer. There was still more dairy to be pushed when I left.

How can 1 person push dairy and have it off the floor in 30 minutes?

Do other stores actually care about a 30 minute limit? I've seen multiple pallets of refrigerated goods sitting for hours on many occasions at my store.

We very much care at my store. We pay attention to the backstock also. We will get another 3 tier or flat or if we get really lucky someone will start back stocking while we continue to push. Asants I guess, but it shouldn't be!

We very much care at my store. We pay attention to the backstock also. We will get another 3 tier or flat or if we get really lucky someone will start back stocking while we continue to push. Asants I guess, but it shouldn't be!
That's actually really good to hear. It bothers me greatly that it happens at my store. Only time I've seen a pallet QMOSd due to time was when a frozen pallet went 4+ hours literally without being touched at all.

Do other stores actually care about a 30 minute limit? I've seen multiple pallets of refrigerated goods sitting for hours on many occasions at my store.
I try to emphasize this to new tm's to HUSTLE through dairy. Even so I tell them the one minute per box rule and I tell them as you are aware of where everything is I expect you to be able to somewhat compartmentalize the stuff as you push so they're not just walking back and forth from the U Boat.

I try to emphasize this to new tm's to HUSTLE through dairy. Even so I tell them the one minute per box rule and I tell them as you are aware of where everything is I expect you to be able to somewhat compartmentalize the stuff as you push so they're not just walking back and forth from the U Boat.

Stress FIFO, before "one minute per box"

Actually throw "One minute per box" out the window, when pushing Dairy and focus fully on FIFO, believe me I know exactly how annoying it can be, but it becomes a habit that you don't even think about.

If that Dairy pallet was FIFO'd correctly for the last few weeks it would be half the size... (Pushing a box a minute from it WON'T do that.) What sounds better pushing a Giant Pallet as fast as you can, or a pallet half the size while saving Loss which in the end will equal payroll.

What are your typical market closing routines?

I'm going to be closing Market for the second time and I want to make sure I'm prepared. Our store recently established a Market team, but I'm not usually on it. I've closed Market once but it's hard because it seems like expectations vary from TL to TL. For example, the Market TL told me to not worry about dry grocery CAFS unless told. Who pushes them then? Last time I worked a closing, the TL did have me work them. The market TL also told me to not get go backs unless told but it feels like it's good practice to take the initiative to periodically get my go backs from guest services. It's a 2:30-closing shift.

My plan is:
2:30-4pm Push P Fresh cafs
4pm-6:30pm Push dry grocery and a cart of market go backs from guest services to work during this time
*lunch*
7pm-11pm Zone Market and P fresh focusing on filling end caps

How long should I spend zoning each aisle? Can I fill all the end caps first and then quickly eye ball zone aisles or will that look like cheating to tls or etls observing? Is it better to just zone p fresh as I do the CAFS there?

I read here that you guys always recommend that the closers push milk and eggs first? How do you do that? Do you drop a batch for them or use the subtract app?
Also, if I find a ton of expired yogurt or something along the lines of that, do I qmos it right away? Or do I put it in the bin of not processed qmos items? Should it go in the cooler on a 3 tier with a note? Process it? If so, how do I do that with a mydevice or PDA?

What are your pet peeves with what people don't do in market when they close?

Thank you for your help! I completely admit I'm trying to be a try hard :/ I really want to do a good job and last time I struggled with being able to zone the entire market area

My strategy for zoning snacks/dry market very fast:
  • Go through all the aisles of the section you are doing and pick up strays and qmos. I don't usually have my 3 tier right next to me while I zone Market, because there is too much guest traffic and the aisles get cramped.
  • Zone the endcaps and first two 4 ft sections nearest the main walkway very thoroughly, i.e. 2 deep, sometimes 3 lol
  • Zone large or deep packages in the rest of the aisle, anything that is a noticable hole, pull 1 forward.
  • Ignore very small items (i.e., jello, spices) that are in the middle of the aisles.
  • For the rest of the stuff, you need at least half of the facings of a given item to be close to the front. So if there is one forward and two spots for that item, you just move on. If there are 4 spots for that particular item, at least 2.
  • Covering the diamonds is optional everywhere but those first 2 4 ft sections (and cereal). As long as it's close, you are good.
There are some other factors I take into account, like whether an item sells a lot, its vertical position on the shelf, etc. I started zoning this way a few months ago, after zoning too deep my first few years at Target, and now all the leadership likes me and thinks my zones are amazing. If I have more time I do more, obviously.

You didn't actually ask for all that info, it's just been on my mind.

Last edited:
Back