Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

Hey guys I need some clarification on organic produce and the metro rack.
Are we supposed to have a metro rack (fast mover) that is designated for organic produce only? We have one metro rack in the produce cooler that we've been using to purge produce in the evenings. Now that we have organic produce, I'm wondering if it's okay to use the same metro rack for both conventional and organic produce.
I know organic should be above conventional, but would I have to clean the metro rack before loading it up again with organic? For instance, if I use the metro rack to purge conventional produce and when I'm ready to purge organic, would I need to 3 step clean the rack before loading it with the organic produce?
Also, I remember reading in the organic training guide, that organic produce should not be STORED on the same rack that it gets pushed to the sales floor on. At least, that is how I understood it.
You really shouldn't use the organics racks for conventional if avoidable. When organics come in contact with surfaces that had conventional produce on them, you get commingling and best practice says to TOSS any organic product that commingles. As you said, you would also have to 3-step clean the racks to make them suitable for organics again. If possible, I would have separate fast movers for traditional produce and organics. I'm in a super so I have quite a bit of organic stuff and I also have the cooler space to support a lot of fast movers. I currently have one for conventional wet rack, organic wet rack, organic berries/grapes, bagged salads, bagged veg/hummus and an empty rack for everything else on stationary shelves/steel. My store doesn't do a ton of organics sales so I try to make them truck to shelf as much as possible. Berries, grapes, iceberg, romaine and celery are about the only things I intentionally keep back stock so the occasional apple or TF clamshell can just go on my tiny organic shelf in the cooler.

Our Market e2e is like watching a sinking ship from 500 yards away (no one will go near market now) but much of it is the "excellent and awesome team" they have assembled. Example of said excellence: last night figured I would be a sport and wizzed the power jack on into the ambi-room to assist one of the market fella's. Said to fella: "I saw you squeezing past so here, let me pull this pallet of bananas out of the way for you to make it easier to reach the rest of the dry produce." all smiley and being helpful and stuff. Fella responded by attempting to grab the pallet jack from me saying "NO! I have a process. You would NOT understand!". Shrugged my shoulders and me & the pallet jack scurried on out in rabbit mode.

A few moments later I see him using a manual pallet jack, *pulling* the same 6-feet high pallet of bananas down the ramp out of the ambi room. He lost control. I gasped like a big 'ole girl. He jumped to safety. Pallet of bananas flew down the ramp and crashed into the bulk steel resulting in a shower of yellow fruit falling from the sky. He stood there speechless. I walked up to him slowly while deliberately & carefully stepping over the carpeting of bananas on the floor (picture me stepping around bananas in an exaggerated manner). Stopped directly in front of him. Looked at him. Looked at the bananas. Looked at him. Said,"Nice process", then calmly walked away.

"Excellent and awesome team".

Why is your ambient room not level with the rest of the store and why is your banana pallet 6 feet tall? We get one, maybe two layers on our banana pallets.

My old store had a ramp that led into their freezer. Was a real pain in the ass to get a big pallet in there without the powered pallet jack.

You really shouldn't use the organics racks for conventional if avoidable. When organics come in contact with surfaces that had conventional produce on them, you get commingling and best practice says to TOSS any organic product that commingles. As you said, you would also have to 3-step clean the racks to make them suitable for organics again. If possible, I would have separate fast movers for traditional produce and organics. I'm in a super so I have quite a bit of organic stuff and I also have the cooler space to support a lot of fast movers. I currently have one for conventional wet rack, organic wet rack, organic berries/grapes, bagged salads, bagged veg/hummus and an empty rack for everything else on stationary shelves/steel. My store doesn't do a ton of organics sales so I try to make them truck to shelf as much as possible. Berries, grapes, iceberg, romaine and celery are about the only things I intentionally keep back stock so the occasional apple or TF clamshell can just go on my tiny organic shelf in the cooler.

Unfortunately, my produce cooler isn't big enough for two fast movers and it's not possible to make room for another. We have 5 racks for produce and 1 fast mover. I just designate the top 2 shelves of each for organic produce only. Same for the fast mover. Steritech will be visiting soon and that's all I really need to worry about

Unfortunately, my produce cooler isn't big enough for two fast movers and it's not possible to make room for another. We have 5 racks for produce and 1 fast mover. I just designate the top 2 shelves of each for organic produce only. Same for the fast mover. Steritech will be visiting soon and that's all I really need to worry about
For what it's worth, our steritech doesn't even look at organics. That's a different annual walk.. I guess even Steritech follows the ASANTS mantra. It sounds like you should be good though. As long as those two shelves are designated as organics and there is no chance of commingling.

Anyone know anything about "growers boxes"? We're piloting a table replacement that sounds like one of the tables used in seasonal with a bunch of cardboard fixtures on it. Anyone have this already or know any more information on it? Red wire on it was very vague and it's happening next week I think. May be a long shot as it seems very new and looks like a 1 store per district thing.

Why is your ambient room not level with the rest of the store and why is your banana pallet 6 feet tall? We get one, maybe two layers on our banana pallets.

Our coolers are not level with the rest of the store: the ramp mends the approximate 2-feet in height difference from the backroom to the coolers. The store was not a ground up build rather, a custom build-out in an older/urban space.

C&S routinely sends extremely tall banana pallets - maneuvering those out of the truck is a talent *smiles and bows for the cheering crowd*. Even for an A-volume store we sell through those puppys like crazy ... almost the cheapest in the city.One/two layers??? We would laugh if we saw that. Must be nice! :)

Last edited:
My old store had a ramp that led into their freezer. Was a real pain in the ass to get a big pallet in there without the powered pallet jack.

Using a power jack is just about required as you also have to turn a sharp corner which eliminates any sort of inertial energy you had. Even the u-boats are a challenge to turn that corner. Sometimes it takes two of us to push up a u-boat or red tub. Pallets: I only use a power jack. No way I'm going to risk injury. Nope. Nada.

STL: "Use your LOD shifts to work w/ the market team."
Me: -mentions helping in market while handing off after opening as LOD-
STL: "Your team is here to push market, you shouldn't be doing it!!!"
Me: o_O

Today was the first time we've been 100% caught up from a truck, no C&S sitting in the coolers (I pushed all 3 leftover pallets myself yesterday), and all backstock caught up. "See, why can't you do this every day?"

so today ....
just me and 1 TM till 11am with FDC order coming in. 6 pallets of push. i leave at 230.
it arrives at 1030.
i go on my half.
my mid no call no shows. (so they are done as their attendance is utter shit and have been in office for it.)
rumor my mid is not coming in because theyve quit.
SO! only the watermelon and freezer got pushed by me alone.

im so glad im leaving. this is my last week. i fgeel bad because market will be only TWO TMs now.
no TL
NO FE/PA
just ETL SF who is cray and 2 TMs

they were cool about me quitting. the team is proud of me for quitting. im told i have the face of freedom.
this will be me on my last day

Anyone know anything about "growers boxes"? We're piloting a table replacement that sounds like one of the tables used in seasonal with a bunch of cardboard fixtures on it. Anyone have this already or know any more information on it? Red wire on it was very vague and it's happening next week I think. May be a long shot as it seems very new and looks like a 1 store per district thing.

Our store has this now, I can't speak too much from the market side of things since I'm the signing wizard, but it seems okay so far, our PMT had to saw down some of the table legs to make it the right height. Thankfully we have a spare box of the cardboard stands left over since I'm certain there are going to be some casualties from either roof leaks, leaky product set on them or guests in electric carts.

We had a third party group come in to put the whole thing together, so it might be worth letting your signing TM know that they do not have to assemble the cardboard fixtures. I did when they came in and then had a bunch of cardboard boxes that sat around for something like two months and took up a bunch of space, was a big pain in my ass.

Hi everyone, I am new here to the Breakroom. I've been in Market since our rollout began in October (with small breaks in our Cafe when they don't have enough people). I was a PA when our first TL started but they downgraded me to regular Market after another guy came in with 5 star food service experience. He got fed up and left and now I've been reinstated into the PA position for about the last 2 months. However, I just went on vacation for a week and came back to the loss of one key member of our team in an already short team.

Soooo.... long story short I'm just looking to learn, vent a little to people I don't work with but know Target, and see how long I can hold out.

I hope I'm in the right place :)

Hi everyone, I am new here to the Breakroom. I've been in Market since our rollout began in October (with small breaks in our Cafe when they don't have enough people). I was a PA when our first TL started but they downgraded me to regular Market after another guy came in with 5 star food service experience. He got fed up and left and now I've been reinstated into the PA position for about the last 2 months. However, I just went on vacation for a week and came back to the loss of one key member of our team in an already short team.

Soooo.... long story short I'm just looking to learn, vent a little to people I don't work with but know Target, and see how long I can hold out.

I hope I'm in the right place :)

You picked the right place.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Do you guys keep a consumables cleaning log? the ones that are similar to the cleaning logs required for Food Ave/Starbucks found on workbench? I have seen the organic one, but not the regular one. is this a steritech requirement?

Do you guys keep a consumables cleaning log? the ones that are similar to the cleaning logs required for Food Ave/Starbucks found on workbench? I have seen the organic one, but not the regular one. is this a steritech requirement?
Yes, I think Steritech requires 2 months of logs. Search "pfresh cleaning log" and it should be one of the top results.

Our store has this now, I can't speak too much from the market side of things since I'm the signing wizard, but it seems okay so far, our PMT had to saw down some of the table legs to make it the right height. Thankfully we have a spare box of the cardboard stands left over since I'm certain there are going to be some casualties from either roof leaks, leaky product set on them or guests in electric carts.

We had a third party group come in to put the whole thing together, so it might be worth letting your signing TM know that they do not have to assemble the cardboard fixtures. I did when they came in and then had a bunch of cardboard boxes that sat around for something like two months and took up a bunch of space, was a big pain in my ass.
Any chance you could post or PM me a couple pictures? We're going to be the training store so I'd like to have everything set up right.

so, a particular soda vendor who im very tight with, he comes to me and says he was told to not speak with me at all by the ETL SF. i said that was fine i shouldnt be giving away space when im quitting anyways.
well ... as it happens ...
ETL SF when speaking with the vendor didnt even say hello, but started started with, "C TL doesnt work here anymore" and then boasted how she would be getting control over the dept, starting with him. ETL SF took him to the bulk endcap with ALWAYS belong to him, and asked him how long he had it for. which was forever as it was permanently his. then was taken to to 2 back endcaps and asked why they were his and it weas explained 1 was permanently his and the other was given to him so he kept filling it. ETL SF said they needed to check adjacencys and darted to the backroom and printed out the market adjecencys. 9_9 then came back and asked him which endcap was his he said g30 then she asked what endcap they were infront of, g30.
he said he never saw anyone shift gears in personality as fast as ETL SF did, and was so sick of the store as it was, and asked who he is supposed to talk to when he comes in now that I and CTL are gone and i said ETL SF .... he looked like he was in pain.

ohoho!

Market Team at my store ... 2 TMs.
im leaving so No PA/FE
CTL quit
closer quit (no call no showtwice after handing in 2 weeks notice soooo(
total head count? TWO

when we started in oct we had 12 people 3 PAs.

and like 10 TMs all put in for transfers in other dept, WHICH, ETL HR is denying, and 1 other stores STLs called them out on how you cant deny a transfer. XD so there goes SBUX's AST!

So today we had 2 people myself and 1 TM to push 312 pro/dary/frzn 5 pallets. ETL SF comes over and says "we dont need everyone working on the pallet do we? TM can break off to do sales planners right? :)"
NO
i explained how we needed to get 6.5 hours worth of push PLUS 3 uboats of dry on top of 3 flats AND 8 boats of backstock. we do not have time to do sales planners when our closer is GONE and when i leave at 230 NO ONE will be in to cover market, so why are you adding on MORE hours of work?
ETL SF left very deflated.

rattrap_by_gametagger457-d3i3a4u.jpg

and like 10 TMs all put in for transfers in other dept, WHICH, ETL HR is denying, and 1 other stores STLs called them out on how you cant deny a transfer.
Stores can absolutely stop people from transferring for exactly that reason.

My store is perpetually understaffed, so transfers out are denied every time unless the TM is moving out of the area.

and like 10 TMs all put in for transfers in other dept, WHICH, ETL HR is denying, and 1 other stores STLs called them out on how you cant deny a transfer. XD so there goes SBUX's AST!
Why wouldn't they be able to do that?
Your store probably wouldn't have any cashiers if that were the case.

Tuesday the team worked out the produce from Sunday... basically every time the produce pallets from C&S roll over. The one useless PA, who is on the TL bench and is just waiting to get transferred, forgot to do the order *again,* so I had to do it yesterday.

Apparently, the morning team didn't actually push produce from before, they just pushed out the Sunday load first, so now there is an absurd amount of old produce sitting in there. I hedged and ordered as little as I could, hopefully there aren't a ton of outs over the weekend but the good PA told me it's okay to underorder on some things, because we are getting swamped by people doing bad overorders.

It's hard to do a good order if all the produce you order won't be pushed for 2-3 days after it comes, haha.

Back